IGNORED

What a wonderful day in Luxembourg

Henrik Jordahn

Henrik Jordahn

Yesterday (Sunday) was a most splendid day. Around two in the afternoon we (me and that SO) were ready to go out for a short ride. I started by going to the gasstation and fill Sleipner up with go-juice, went back up-hill and picked up my wife. A short motorway ride and then a turn to small roads leading down to the Moselle, great roads on both the German and Luxembourg side of the river.

The day was really sunny and a load of bikes out and about, hardly had time to activate the clucth for waving.

We took the west bank of the river, gave us an opportunity to look over on the Luxembourgish side, all the vinyards nice and green and the landscape very pleasant. The smell of elderberry trees was strong and nice and the occasional stretch of forrest gave some cooling on a (for Luxembourg) hot day.

Plenty of turns on the road and I felt relaxed as I haven't in a very long time, really a revelation, getting to execute the turns and sweeps as I planned them and not going fast, just a nice rythm and relaxed flow of the ride. Which was also noticed and appreciated by my passenger.

Missed a turning over the river to Schengen and continued into France. A little south of the border is a town with an old castle on the hillside, very pittoresque. Got the next bridge over, headed north to Schengen (yep, famous for the Schengen-agreement which means we don't have to carry a passport and there are no checking at the borders, very good when your country is only 50Kms wide and 80kms long) and the northwest towards Lux. city. Still nice roads and not too much traffic.

I dropped off my wife at the protestant church in center of town, she was to sing in the choir for the 5pm service. The minister (or whatever the correct term is, it's the wife that is religious, not me ;-) )

came walking down the narrow street and smiled broadly when he saw the bike: "That is a nice bike, it brings back memories, I used to ride a HD but haven't ridden since '49" (That sorta puts an age to the guy, no?)

On the way home I went into an empty parking lot and practised a little braking, swerving and tight turning and really enjoyed that for a bit. Gotta do a bit more before going off on vacation in a month.

So, a nice Sunday that really whetted my appetite for more riding, something I have done far too little this spring. Took the bike to work to go straight at 4pm for a ride, weather is wonderful again today.

The morale of this little story: Get on your bike and get out there, it works wonders for your mental well being.

What a wonderful ride, Henrik. Your descriptions only made me want to see pictures that much more. We see plenty of them from some of our stateside members when they go on rides, but Europe has its own kind of beauty, and a history and architecture far deeper than our mere 225+ years.

I congratulate you on a day well spent, on a beautiful motorcycle, in a beautiful area and, I assume, with a lovely passenger. Please continue to provide us with such descriptive delights. Europe is so close, yet so far at times. Your recounts help us all enjoy a little bit of the motorcycling paradise in which you live.

PhillyFlash

Henrik,

Thanks for the nice write-up. I could almost feel the curves and smell the elderberry trees. As Fernando said, please keep posting descriptions of your rides. Many of us are familiar with lots of the areas in the U.S., but totally unfamiliar with riding through Europe. Keep teasing and tempting us, and who knows, we may have to have a European BMWRT.COM gathering. "Hoons in Europe!" Hmmm.

Yes, Henrik, tell us more. It makes us glad.

And, it's good you got to go spend some time in "church" too.

Henrik,

great explination of a wonderful day. I can close my eyes and picture it in my head.

Every time I read a story about Europe I kick myself for not riding when I was over there.

I didn't start riding motorcycles until I got back. I felt I was too immature to have a street bike until I was 25. Good decision I think, though I do still have a little piss and vinigar in me still. (I guess that is why I do ride, but hopefully with more respect for life and limb)

Yeah, Henrick, what Fernando said! I wish more of our overseas brethren would post about their rides. Although, I do see one by leonb I have to go read.

Thanks for the account.

Archived