IGNORED

Side case protection

paulcbrowne

I've been running my RT with just the (big BMW) top case because I hadn't wanted to scratch up the side cases any more than necessary. My old LT had good protectors on its sidecases, but there's nothing to protect the RT's cases from those parking lot, garage, etc. rubs. Anyone found good add-on scrape protection for their side cases?

The only case protecters I have seen are the genuine BMW ones and they only really protect the lower edge of the case. So far I have managed to drop my bike on both sides and the cases have been scratched 3/4 of the way up - the case protecters would not have prevented the damage.

I manged to find a product that works to mask the scratches and this makes them difficult to see if you don't know that they are there. With that and the Touratech rocker cover guards to hide the scratches on the rocker covers you can hardly notice any damage.

Hey Paul,

I went to a few local places like Auto Zone, Advance Auto, etc. and found some nice self-adhesive rubber molding at Pep Boys (Fredericksburg) that were just the right length for the side cases. They had a few different styles to choose from to suit personal tastes. The price was less than $15 OTD.

One of these days, I'll post some pics.

Wow! That looks pretty good and you got the molding at Pep Boys? I am not sure how that would look on a red lid but it sure looks like it would protect the bag. You wouldn't happen to have an extra left side lid just like you have pictured in your photograph would you? I need one.

...you got the molding at Pep Boys? You wouldn't happen to have an extra left side lid just like you have pictured in your photograph would you?...

Yes, Pep Boys had a few different styles sold in pairs for $12.88 plus tax, IIRC.

No, sorry I don't, but I will remember to keep an eye out for you, though.

I went to Pep Boys this morning and purchased the shorter version of what you bought which means it pretty much goes on the front corner of the bag. Trying to decide whether to put it up high where the bag could contact first if the bike fell over or lower where you positioned yours. A very reasonable price for the product. $12.99 for the short version vs. $14.99 for the style you purchased. If it does the job is it worth at least 10X the investment. Thanks for sharing.

The only case protecters I have seen are the genuine BMW ones and they only really protect the lower edge of the case. So far I have managed to drop my bike on both sides and the cases have been scratched 3/4 of the way up - the case protecters would not have prevented the damage.

I have the BMW ones on and they have so far protected the bags in a couple minor tip overs. As for the scrathes, just wear 'em with pride! Couldn't have got scratched sittin in the garage, at least you're riding it! :-)

I have the BMW ones on and they have so far protected the bags in a couple minor tip overs. As for the scrathes, just wear 'em with pride! Couldn't have got scratched sittin in the garage, at least you're riding it! :-)

Actually for me that is the opposit! Every single scratch on the GS I just traded in was from my own driveway. My last two sport bikes: R1100S BXR and Tirumph Daytona 955i both got scratches in my grarage from people hitting the body work that covers/replaces the pillion seat. I find actually riding is when my bikes get the least scratches!

Trying to decide whether to put it up high where the bag could contact first if the bike fell over or lower where you positioned yours.

From my own dropping experience, the sidecase makes contact with the ground just below bottom crease (roughly where catbird placed his trim piece). The rear wheel was still resting on the ground.

It's only when I've had the bike loaded with 120+ lbs. of stuff that the rear wheel left the ground during a bike drop, that the face of the sidecase lid has made conact with the ground. Even then the scratches(contact point) seemed to match up with the crease.

Actually for me that is the opposit! Every single scratch on the GS I just traded in was from my own driveway. My last two sport bikes: R1100S BXR and Tirumph Daytona 955i both got scratches in my grarage from people hitting the body work that covers/replaces the pillion seat. I find actually riding is when my bikes get the least scratches!

First time I dropped my bike, it was in my garage dopeslap.gif

Archived