IGNORED

Burnt Clutch (Revisited)

pbbeck

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I'm bringing it up again within the context of "older' 1200 RTs. My '05 RT has 18.6K on it, and over the past few thousand miles, the pungent oder of burnt clutch has become overwhelming and my friction zone has diminished quite a bit. The smell is so obnoxious that I don't want to ride it anymore (thank goodness I have a GS!!!)

Yesterday it was in for minor service and asked that the clutch be inspected. They scheduled a clutch replacement in a few weeks. The service manager said he'd seen a number of clutch failures on 1200RT's at or around 18 - 20K miles.

Has anyone else experienced similar?

Will this be a warranty repair? I live an a very hilly area and use the friction zone quite a bit in order to navigate the terrain with my 1200RT. As we all know, first gear requires a lot of clutch slippage to get going. That being said, I've smelled mine from time to time and I can't help but wonder how long it's going to last in my riding environment.

Did your dealer say it was a defect with the bike or are they charging you for it? I also have an '05 model.

It will be a warranty repair. To be honest, I was in a hurry yesterday so we didn't discuss the issue at great length, but the service manager said that clutch longevity is an issue. The word 'defect' was never used.

Yesterday it was in for minor service and asked that the clutch be inspected. They scheduled a clutch replacement in a few weeks. The service manager said he'd seen a number of clutch failures on 1200RT's at or around 18 - 20K miles.

Has anyone else experienced similar?

Just had to have my clutch replaced before 18,000 miles! Was told it is NOT warranty as it is a "wear" item. My dealer negotiated for BMWNA to pay for parts, but I paid for 8 hours of labor. Not happy!

I've riden with a lot of RT riders, and noticed they almost always slipped the clutch a lot more than I do. Since you have both, have you noticed the need to do this on the RT but not on the GS?

20K seems awfullt soon to need a clutch. Glad you got it covered.

Jim cool.gif

Interesting question. My GS has only 1600 miles on it. It's clutch action is much more positive... almost binary. But then again, so was my RT's clutch back in the day.

Yesterday, I decided to practice low speed maneuvering on my 05 12RT, dragging the rear brake and slipping the clutch in response to this thread: my post

After a couple of full lock turns, I smelled the clutch. blush.gif Perhaps this is a weakness in the 12RT. It may not be able to handle clutch slipping for more than a few seconds.

This makes me want to use my Honda Transalp when I take the Idaho Star motorcycle safety course. The bike I really need to learn to be safe on, however, is the RT that I ride on with my wife….

Archived