IGNORED

7.0 Update on my ST

duckbubbles

Had the local dealer install the 7.0 update in my ST yesterday. It took about 45 minutes. So far, so good. The accessory plug shutting off problem seems to have been banished. The engine also doesn't afterfire (pop) nearly as much in the exhaust.

I have posted here that all updates should be treated with skepticism, but so far 7.0 seems to be the real deal.

I find it odd that it applies to both K and R bikes. This is the big fix that many K bike owners have been waiting for. I am waiting to see if it has any affect on gas mileage.

Frank

Just had that one put on my RT a couple of weeks ago and all seems well so far. I have noticed no issues. My accessory plug as worked fine powering my GPS. So far so good. The bike runs great and now my oil level sensor actually works like it should (although the ambient temperture is still not right).

If you are having no issues with the operation of the bike, I would say that you are not in need of any updates. It is to be installed on a need basis with agreement of the owner. Previous updates actually caused more problems with the bikes than they were to fix. A patch was issued later that didn't help me either.

Frank

I had the update done about a month ago on the GS, and it seems to have cured the problem of random switching off and on of the accessory sockets. It doesn't seem to have had any effect on fuel consumption.

But yesterday it did something strange when I started the bike for the first time in about 2 weeks. Immediately after starting, the accessory sockets switched off and on again about every 4 or 5 seconds until I switched off the engine with the kill switch. No problem after starting the engine again, although the battery icon in the display stayed on for a few seconds after starting. Maybe after only 2.5 years the battery is starting to fail, or the battery drain is too high when the bike is parked. Anyway, it does seem that there could still be a strange problem or two left to fix.

The battery icon staying on after start is indicative of the alternator not yet putting out enough amps to shut it off. I.e. not enough revs yet. It's common and not really an issue.

I agree that the battery icon staying on for few seconds is normal however I think he may still have a battery that is begining to show signs of weakeness. The odd behaviour described may be due to a low battery causing the computer to act up. If I read the post right he ran the bike for a bit and then restarted it. Running the bike may have brought the battery up enough so the computer stopped acting up. Just a thought.

The battery icon staying on after start is indicative of the alternator not yet putting out enough amps to shut it off. I.e. not enough revs yet. It's common and not really an issue.

Archived