IGNORED

261.5 miles!

Firefight911

Yep, that's how far my ST went before coughing to a stop!

Deliberate so I know how far I can go, he asked him knowingly??????

NO!!

Darn it! Here we are just days before leaving for Torrey and my gas gauge decides to park itself at exactly ONE bar below the half tank mark and stay there.

Yes, I take FULL responsibility for not having kept track of how much I had ridden in this tank but come on!!!! Made me realize how much I have taken for granted just looking at the gauge and just gassing up when she drops below a quarter tank.

Oh well, I am not going to worry about it until I get back. Afterall, I know how far I can go now!!! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Let's see, 261.5 miles on exactly 5.5 miles of gas. Combination of commuting, two-up, solo, sporty and cruising and we ended up with an MPG rating of 47.545.

Not the best I've gotten, but not bad considering what I know I have done with this tank.

Warranty fix I know but, what has those of you who have experienced this found it to be???

exactly 5.5 miles of gas.
Wow, how in the world did you fit THAT much in the tank? That's one mod I'm dying to see. lmao.gif

Sorry to hear that Phil. I REALLY rely on my gas guage too, so now I know that it's possible for that to freak out as well. eek.gif At least it wasn't caused by the reason I initially had in my head as I read your post. I was thinking it was perhaps something like the final drive due to the fluid change or whatever...

I've seen "weirdness" with my gauge, but it usually resolves it itself within a few minutes.

(It's probably just your bike's way of saying that you shouldn't have abandoned us Day's Inn folks for the CW. smile.gif )

Only moved to the CW to avoid having to get lost from the rum tasting!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gif

I am at work today and tomorrow but if I get the time, I will post a pictorial/tutorial on my FD fluid change.

I will say that your fluid looked NOTHING like what mine did. Odd to say the least. confused.gif

Starting brim full on my ST, I ran out at 310 miles and filled up to the brim with something like 6.1 gallons. 5.5 gallons fills it to the bottom of the filler neck.

I just posted a quick report on the 7.0 update. There is a part of it that is supposed to address the fuel guage not going to full. Maybe that can help yours. I just hope that the update didn't screw with my fuel guage readings as I am quite satisfied with the way it has always worked. I have about 10 miles left when the countdown goes to zero.

Frank

I will say that your fluid looked NOTHING like what mine did. Odd to say the least. confused.gif
I'll look forward to that posting. That is odd. (I'm assuming yours was "better" looking than mine.)

I did finally look at the manufacture date. June '05. So, the fluid(s) are about the same age. But, I do (did) have a couple thousand more miles on mine...

Manufacture date on mine is April '05. You had about 2500 miles on me as I recall. No way there should have been that kind of difference in fluid looks!! And, yes, mine looked way cleaner than yours! No offense, but yours looked like H E double hockey sticks!!!!

As for the gauge, mine has never had a problem showing full. And, up to this point, never had a problem running down to zero. Suddenly it won't go below one bar below half. Must be a stuck float somehow??

Maybe I need to clean it!!!! grin.gifgrin.gif

Manufacture date on mine is April '05. You had about 2500 miles on me as I recall. No way there should have been that kind of difference in fluid looks!! And, yes, mine looked way cleaner than yours! No offense, but yours looked like H E double hockey sticks!!!!
None taken. I sure didn't put that fluid in there. smile.gif And you're right. It shouldn't have looked that bad. There are several differences between our "identical" bikes, (manufacture date, miles ridden, 4600 ft vs not far above sea level, Wilber vs. stock, former racer vs. "there's a rev 'limiter' on this thing?", higher drag coefficient from bugs on the windscreen, etc. smile.gif ) but none would really explain the fluid difference... Weird. I may have saved myself (and BMW) the hassle/expense of a new final drive. Can't decide if that's a good thing or not. eek.gif

As for the gauge, mine has never had a problem showing full. And, up to this point, never had a problem running down to zero. Suddenly it won't go below one bar below half. Must be a stuck float somehow??
I thought there was no float. It's just a non-movable strip along the inside of the tank. (From what I've read here.)

Maybe I need to clean it!!!! grin.gifgrin.gif
You kill me. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Far as I know, there is a "strip" that is anchored to the top and bottom of the tank that senses the fuel level. Maybe the computer can be checked on this matter and adjusted?

Frank

261 miles and still showing near 1/2 tank? Hmmm tongue.gif

I filled today with 17 miles left on the countdown and one bar.

262 miles and 5 gallons. I thought I wasn't being very easy and still got 52mpg. I love this bike!grin.gif! I can still thrash on it a bit and still get great MPG.

Friday I filled my GS Friday and got a meager 38mpg.eek.gif

Well, now the gauge has decided to stick itself at full. No change regardless of fuel level.

ARRGGGHHHH!!! I must have dirt somewhere that I can't see! eek.giflmao.gifdopeslap.gifgrin.gif

Post Torrey trip for warranty repair coming!

Any others have this issue? Fix? Any other issues show up?

And no, I have not had any updates that would explain this. It just suddenly started doing it with no change or fiddling on my behalf! Must be sun spots!!!!

I've found that this NEVER happens to me if I have a wide selection of bugs on the windshield. lmao.giflmao.gif

wooowooo!!! New fuel tank for Phil. smile.gif

No idea what the problem is/could be... but I did have this same thing happen to me in a Mitsubishi rental car in LA. Ran out of gas (with a half tank showing) in a bad part of town on the way to LAX...

But I digress... tongue.gif

I've found that this NEVER happens to me if I have a wide selection of bugs on the windshield. lmao.giflmao.gif

wooowooo!!! New fuel tank for Phil. smile.gif

No idea what the problem is/could be... but I did have this same thing happen to me in a Mitsubishi rental car in LA. Ran out of gas (with a half tank showing) in a bad part of town on the way to LAX...

But I digress... tongue.gif

Get out of the drink!!!!!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Archived