The boys of Lolo Pass

Bob Palin

During our Smoking Glaciers trip we diverted to Lolo Pass where Whip and Benicia_RT_GT did some smokin' runs past the camera. Whip is on the blue FJR and Benicia on the silver K1200GT.

lolo_001.jpg

lolo_002.jpg

lolo_003.jpg

lolo_004.jpg

lolo_005.jpg

lolo_006.jpg

lolo_007.jpg

lolo_008.jpg

lolo_009.jpg

lolo_010.jpg

lolo_011.jpg

I only just thought of doing this, needs more shots to really work though it is already a big file (it's an animated gif which may take a while to load)

lolo_mov.gif

Chris had left us by then but I took this one of him the day before

lolo_012.jpg

I'm not totally happy with these pictures, it was the first time I'd tried to take fast moving action shots and I was learning as I went, I'd love to try it again during the upcoming Torrey un-meet, maybe up on Sweeper Madness. In particular I've now figured out how to have the camera take a burst of shots which should help a lot and I will turn off the anti-shake for the panning shots which Canon recommends.

Bob,

I tried this on Sweeper Madness a 2 or 3 spring torrey's ago. I could never get the timing down to where I captured the bike as it was passing by.

Are you using a tri-pod?

If you're looking for volunteer riders, I'd be happy to run up and down sweeper madness a few times grin.gifgrin.gif

Mike O

It's about f---en time....but it was worth it for methumbsup.gif... I've never seen any of those shots....

Thanks a bunch

BTW...I'm almost sorry about my Ride Tale later this evening.

Whip

Francois_Dumas

I've done a lot of racing and aircraft fly-by pictures in my time.... here are some tips:

You can practice this along any road, Bob (since you have a digital it won't cost you film <g>).

Just take shots of cars going by.

You'll get better results by putting the camera to 'manual', at least the aperture. Make it larger (lower F-number) to get less depth sharpness. That way you get more 'movement' of the background, making the target stand out more.

Also the closer to you, and the more dead-ahead of you the target is, the more movement you will get in the background.

If you have a 'sports' setting on your camera, you may want to experiment with it (it will constantly adjust the focus). Personally I shoot on manual, that way I have more control.

Physically the trick is to track the target with one fluid motion. Best is to stage your body towards the point where you will make the picture.. then turn towards the oncoming target. That way you will have a longer range to twist your body without having to bend too much left or right.

Your camera movement needs to match the target's speed, which is the tricky part. Fast 'film speed' and fast 'shutter speed' will help you there too.

I shot at 800 ASA and found the quality of the shots still to be very good (would have expected more 'grain'). So try that too.

Have fun ! thumbsup.gif

Francois

It's about f---en time....but it was worth it for methumbsup.gif... I've never seen any of those shots....

Thanks a bunch

BTW...I'm almost sorry about my Ride Tale later this evening.

Whip

Yea right!!!

I did expect it, since you warned me, but one of these days soon...

And I'll be happy to volunteer for more subject pictures for you Killer...

Archived