IGNORED

r12r....... in the flesh at last

Joyseeker

look at how neat the pre-load and rear brake reservoir is located (next to each other in the centre).

95632899-M.jpg

and the power socket is visible too..... neatly tucked away.

look at how neat the pre-load and rear brake reservoir is located (next to each other in the centre).

and the power socket is visible too..... neatly tucked away.

Preload adjuster under the seat on a sport-oriented bike? Power socket under the seat on any bike?eek.gif

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd prefer access to both those items without having to remove a seat. Wonder what the designers were smoking when they did this? dopeslap.gif

Can you could give us some idea where this pic was taken?

dealer launch day at vines of guildford (uk).

beemerfan..... you can't see the socket can you? and its smart keeping as many things as poss locked away on a bike..... one to stop damage but also obviously security.... and remember also on the preload point, how often do you use it on tour? remembering also an option on this bike is automatic suspension adjustment. cool.gif

I would like to know the seat to peg dimension on the R12R compared to the R12GS. I'd love to have the R as a second bike, but can't stand to have my legs cramped...

beemerfan..... you can't see the socket can you? and its smart keeping as many things as poss locked away on a bike..... one to stop damage but also obviously security.... and remember also on the preload point, how often do you use it on tour? remembering also an option on this bike is automatic suspension adjustment. cool.gif

I may have missed something, but I thought I saw the socket in the area that is covered by the seat. I'm on my third BMW with "exposed" power sockets. So far - no one has molested them or stolen enough battery juice that my bike failed to start. I'm much more worried about hiding the things plugged into those sockets, which would be a much bigger hassle if I had to remove a seat every time I wanted to plug in or disconnect them. Maybe I'm missing something. If so, I'm sure someone here will correct me.

Regarding preload adjustment, I tweaked it regularly on my GT, because it was accessible. It was nice to be able to easily adjust for bags, two-up, etc. On my RT (adjuster buried under the seat) I adjust mainly for the type of riding I do most and tolerate the rest. I've seen some neat options for relocating the preload adjustment and will definitely do so when I replace the stock shock. In my mind, ease of preload adjustment should not be available only with an added cost option (ESA).

However, this appears to be a great bike and I wouldn't turn one down because of a few nits. I had the same concern with the preload on my RT and still purchased it.

i've had a 12gs and the r12r did not feel as cramped as the 12rt..... i want to try with the high 830mm seat.... should be perfect as i'm 6ft and 33ins inside leg.... but can't see why i can't get on yet with the standard.

beemerfan.... come on... really.... with ESA do you really need to be fiddling with preload more then once a trip?

here's the socket and, its clear, you had no idea where it was. dopeslap.gif

95805176-M.jpg

You're right, I did not see the power socket. Thank you for pointing it out.

As for ESA - I did not and do not want the added cost/complexity. However, when I had a more accessible preload ('03 GT) I would adjust preload multiple times during a trip, because I typically have very different loads during throughout a standard trip. A bike loaded with luggage, gear and/or a pillion is a different animal than one with only a rider. On my last trip with the RT, I experience all three situations, sometimes a couple of times a day. I adjusted the preload three times, but would have changed it more if it were easier to get to.

Different strokes for different folks!

Archived