IGNORED

My bmw brake issues continues

markbc

Well, I found out today in a hard breaking situation that my new ABS Control unit is not the standard one. It’s the one the CHP uses. Meaning the front brake lever actuates both brakes and the rear brake pedal only actuate the rear brake. When I talked to the dealer about it he recommend this, but I told him I wanted the stock one. I’m assuming that he made an innocent mistake, because that would be kind of hard to hide to a rider. So after discussing this with the dealer he offered to replace the unit if I paid for labor. ($255)

So first, does this sound fair? Second, is there an advantage to keeping what I have?

I only have about a month and a half experience riding with ABS. So I’m looking for some opinion, if anyone wants to throw some out.

You should pay him an extra $255, and keep the one you have.

By the way, it might be nice if you said just what bike you are talking about. Include it in your sig, update your profile, etc.

Stan

Don_Eilenberger

I think a LOT of people would love to swap with you. The semi-linked is the preference amoung people who use trail-braking on slow corners, which is why the CHP use it. It is standard on the RS series (and could actually be retrofitted to other models that use full-linking.)

If you get in the habit of ALWAYS using your front brake for any serious braking - which is the correct way to do it - I don't think you'll ever know the difference.

If you've already come to rely on the rear pedal for stopping (I rarely use mine - mostly use it to hold at lights, and for some trail braking) - you've learned a bad habit that it would be a GOOD thing to un-learn.

Since most bikes don't have linked brakes - and the most powerful and effective brake is the front brake, it's really to your advantage to learn to use it for all stops.

Yeah, I don't like the fully linked brakes either. But to show you how much I love everyone on this board, I'm willing to swap you my fully linked brake controller for your partially linked unit straight up, no strings attatched. Just PM me and I'll get your fully linked brake controller FedEx'd to you at no additional charge. grin.gifgrin.gif

...that he made an innocent mistake, because that would be kind of hard to hide to a rider. So after discussing this with the dealer he offered to replace the unit if I paid for labor. ($255)

So first, does this sound fair?

I can't see why you should pay for labor for a dealer to correct an error that he made.

Riding an old 1100, I don't have any experience with linked brakes. However, I know how fast my RT can go down if you touch the front brake with the wheel turned at slow speed. So I assume I would prefer the semi-linked versions over the fully-linked ones.

Why wouldn't you want to keep linked ABS? (unless you plan to do off-road riding?) I think that you got a good deal!

Regards

Why would anyone in their right mind want to have linked brakes on a motorcycle? Next thing you know they'd want some kind of servo assist too! Let's throw in traction control, on board tire pressure monitoring, Electoronic Stability Control? Is this technology going in the wrong direction? Should we not be focusing our energies on developing real world rider skills and cloaking devices?

All the police bikes have an unlinked brakesystem.Thats what the cops want.BMW is actually changing it for them.

I have a 98 RT/P and woudn't change over.I am loving it. clap.gif

Archived