IGNORED

RIDE TO GLACIER, THEN TORREY W/PICS (LONG)

Motor Po-Po

Day 1: Friday August 25, 2006

I got under way slightly later than I expected; about 4:30 am. I began riding through Los Angeles, trying to get through before any Friday rush-hour traffic. I make surprising time and am tooling along northbound on the 101, past Los Angeles in about an hour and a half. I ride along on the 101 listening to music and I notice my cruise control (Throttlemeister) is not adjusted right and is not holding my speed. I had my bike serviced before I left but there always seems to be something that I notice after I leave on a trip. I’m still happy to be traveling and finally on vacation. It had been over a year since I had a chance to get away and I had been looking forward to this.

I pass Anderson’s Split Pea Soup and it’s decision time already. One of my favorite roads and probably one of the best rides in the country is PCH between Cambria and Monterey. I would love to ride that section of PCH, but my goal for the first day is to get past San Francisco and stop somewhere north of the Golden Gate Bridge for the night. If I ride PCH, the first day’s goal would be tough. I tried to get to Glacier National Park in Montana on last years trip and didn’t get there because the weather did not cooperate. I told myself that at the very least, I am going to see Glacier on this years’ trip. I decide to stay on the 101 and would probably stop in Santa Rosa for the night. I get off the freeway and ride through San Francisco to the Golden Gate Bridge and cross it. Very nice weather and it gets better on the north side. The temperature drops to mid-50s and slightly overcast … definitely my kind of weather. I stop and call the wife to let her know I finally got away from the heat.

I ride through the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. As many times as I had been to this area, I can’t believe I had never ridden through this beautiful place. Very slow 1st and 2nd gear turns. Great ocean views.

93270930-M.jpg

93271309-M.jpg

I am very happy at this point, but it doesn’t last long. I had planned on riding the coast up to Seattle and then east to Glacier. I had also planned on getting away from the Southern California summer heat. This road took me along Tomales Bay and I saw a few nice communities and a ton of pelicans.

93271601-M.jpg

The problem was that the weather had warmed up again and although this route was very scenic, I was not making any real time since the speed limit went to 25mph through each little town and I wanted to get to cooler weather as quick as possible. I got past the bay and rode inland a bit to Santa Rosa to find the Motel 6 that I was going to stay in for the night. I find it and it is not in a very good neighborhood. I stopped at a little Mexican Food joint for an early dinner and thought the whole time that I would be worried about my bike all night in the parking lot of this place. I’m feeling good and I still have a couple of hours of daylight left, so I call the wife and tell her I’m going to keep riding past Santa Rosa until I find a city that is a bit nicer.

I get on the 101 and find afternoon rush-hour traffic (of course). At this point it was my fist day on the road, the weather is still in the 90’s, the coast that I thought was going to be great for motorcycling was slow and boring, and Santa Rosa might as well have been Santa Ana … the frustration was mounting big time! I hadn’t decompressed from work yet and I was in a ‘go go go’ state of mind still. I should have found a place to call it a night right then and made any trip decisions in the morning, but I didn’t. I was missing my wife and son and not happy with the heat, so …

I not only decide to keep traveling on the 101, but at about mile 600 and hour 14, I start thinking about going to Interstate 5 to make even better time … what was I thinking!?! Anyways, I end up jumping off of the 101 and head east for the 5. I take Highway 175 and what a great find! Very nice curvy road that heads east. I end up stopping at a Best Western in Clearlake, California. I didn’t make it to Interstate 5, but I traveled almost 700 miles on the first day and I needed a break from the heat and a shower. After the last couple of bad decisions, stopping turned out to be a good one.

Day 2: Saturday August 26, 2006

I got an early start and hit the road to get a gas tank’s worth of miles under my belt before breakfast. I was feeling a lot better today and a lot less rushed. I think some of the daily stress was starting to go away, even though I was feeling the morning heat already. I knew I hadn’t been on a motorcycle trip in quite some time, but for some reason, my shoulders and neck were killing me from yesterday. I had never had any pain in my shoulders or neck from riding before. I had done numerous 1000 mile marathon days before. I was confused and a little worried since I was only starting my second day of twelve. Another problem that I was noticing and a little worried about was some pain in my right hand. I needed to adjust my Throttlemeister soon.

I was thinking more clearly today than the end of yesterday; however, for some reason, I continued my way to Interstate 5, then northbound. I had already forgotten about the 101 … that would be left for another trip, I guess. I was making great time on Interstate 5 and rode through Mount Shasta and past Shasta Lake. I stopped at a Subway for lunch in Shasta and called Gina. I got the address and directions to Ron and Barbara’s new place in Oregon. Their house was only a few minutes from the 5, so I decided to stop by, say hi, and check the place out. I ended up riding past it, but I recognized their boat in the driveway, so I turned around and rode down the driveway. I stopped and asked how to get to Montana. Ron and Barbara played “Guess who’s under the motorcycle helmet” for a few minutes … then Barbara asked if there was a Tim under all that motorcycle gear.

The house and property were very nice. I sat and talked for a couple of hours, then began riding northbound again through record heat. I stopped by Hansen’s BMW dealership to check it out and it was packed.

93271833-M.jpg

I looked around a bit, took a photo, and continued on. I wanted to make it to Portland before stopping and I did. I got into Portland an hour or so after the sun went down. I decided to ride past Portland before finding a motel to stop at. My GPS shows me the way through and to a bridge that leads to the east side of Portland, then out of the city. I get to the bridge and one of Portland’s Finest had his police car blocking it. I turned right and watched my GPS recalculate a new route out of the city. The problem was the GPS does not take rider safety into account when plotting the new route. Luckily for me, I get to see Portland’s Skid Row at night with tent cities and cardboard boxes lining some dark and narrow streets downtown. I end up ignoring my GPS for a few minutes and get myself out of the city and traveling eastbound on Interstate 84. It’s getting late by this time and I have no idea what kind of scenery I am riding through. I call it a night at a Motel 6 in Troutdale, Oregon. I went to check in and the clerk said he only had one smoking room left. I went up to check it out and see if it was too smelly … it was, but I took it anyway. The railroad tracks that I did not notice, ran next to the parking lot and made sure I had a hard time falling asleep. After a couple of trains, I was snoring louder than the train whistles and it was morning before I knew it.

Day 3: Sunday August 27, 2006

I am underway early after checking oil level and tire pressure at the gas station next to the motel. I get on the freeway and am greeted by some truly beautiful scenery. It turned out that I would be riding along the Columbia River during sunrise. What a great way to start the third day!

93275904-M.jpg

Before long, I come to a turnout next to a tall waterfall. The waterfall is set behind this gorgeous old restaurant that was build out of stone. I stop at the turnout and start taking pictures.

93272186-M.jpg

93273030-M.jpg

I was making good time again and almost completely decompressed from the year of work that I was taking a vacation from. I was very happy to see the new scenery, but not happy to keep feeling the record-setting heat. I felt like I was still in Southern California. I had planned on making it to the west entrance to Glacier National Park, then finding a motel. As I was riding along, I saw a huge tree farm on my right. It was miles long and packed with Poplar trees. Each grove was dated with a large sign back to 1995. It was very pretty and I thought what a patient business owner that guy must be to plant trees and wait ten years for some profit (of course it was all probably owned by some corporation, but I was still impressed with the size). At some point during this leg of the trip, I saw a sign that read, “Memaloose National Preserve” or something to that effect and it made me think of my wife’s dog. Her name is Emma and sometimes we call her a moose … well, you had to be there, I guess, but I was cracking my self up for miles.

I stopped for lunch in Spokane, Washington, next. Shortly after that, I rode past Couer D’Alene Lake. I thought to myself that I had to rent a condo and a boat for a week or two there for a future family vacation. After crossing into Montana, I almost immediately start seeing small rivers with fly-fisherman on them. This was exactly the kind of scene my imagination conjured up when I thought of riding through Montana.

93276866-M.jpg

I rode along the west coast of Flathead Lake for a while.

93277458-M.jpg

I found a Super 8 motel in Kalispell, Montana, that had a Laundromat and a couple restaurants next to it. I was getting a little weary of roadside food by this point and wanted a real dinner. I asked the clerk at the motel where I could get a decent steak for dinner and he said the Bulldog Pub was within walking distance and was pretty good. He gave me a voucher for a free cocktail there. I did my laundry and walked to the Bulldog. I usually don’t drink during my motorcycle trips because of the scale that I plan them to (usually big mileage days). I am usually tired enough after everyday of riding without having to worry about being more tired in the morning, but this trip was a little more laid-back … besides, I couldn’t let Skippy’s free cocktail voucher go to waste. I had a reasonable dinner that was very good and a beer. I walked back to my room and was very excited at the prospect of seeing Glacier after two years of anticipation.

Day 4: Monday August 28, 2006

I wake up a few minutes before my wake up call. I start off towards Glacier and within a few minutes, I am entering the park!

93277785-M.jpg

I stopped to get a picture of the entrance sign and start talking to these nice two ladies that stopped behind me. They asked me where I was going and I gave them a quick overview of what I had planned. They told me I would enjoy Glacier and that I had to stop at Old Faithful, in Yellowstone, when I ride through. They offered to take a photo of my bike and I next to the sign, but without even thinking, I told them that I had already taken my picture and thanked them. I think back and am amazed at how clueless I was and how I would have liked that picture … oh, well.

93278049-M.jpg

The only thing I can keep thinking is how big everything appears. I am very happy that after two years of anticipation, I am not let down by Glacier. Before long, I see my first famous Glacier Park old red bus. I stop at Lake McDonald Lodge for a photo of a bus and decide to walk around at the lodge.

93278761-M.jpg

93292702-M.jpg

I look around inside the lodge and along the lake front. The interior is just like an old hunting lodge.

93279147-M.jpg

The picture is a little crooked and blurry, but you get the idea. As I am walking around, I come across the dining room and see a menu with Buffalo Meatloaf for dinner. How could I come all the way to the north-end of Montana and not try Buffalo Meatloaf!?! I decided to come back to the lodge for dinner after exploring the park. I ride through the park slowly on the Going-to-the-Sun road and take a lot of pictures.

93281984-M.jpg

93282406-M.jpg

At one turnout, I am approached by a gentleman from Australia. He asked me what I do when I ride through a state that has a helmet law. I am a little confused at first, then I look back at my bike and realize he can’t see my helmet hanging from the handlebar. I explain to him that I am from California and wear a helmet all the time. He goes on to tell me that he has a 1975 BMW at home and asks me a few questions about my bike. I rode to Logan Pass next, obviously named after my son, and took more pictures.

93284862-M.jpg

I stopped at St. Mary Lake and sat on a rock for about an hour listening to the wind in the trees and watching the designs the wind made out on the lake. It was very peaceful.

93287546-M.jpg

93286047-M.jpg

93288047-M.jpg

I stopped at another turnout for more pictures and as I was sitting there, a family of Big Horns jumped over the little stone wall and began licking the asphalt right next to me (I don’t think they are very smart). Before long, the turnout was filled with cars and people taking pictures.

93288862-M.jpg

I stop at Two Dog Flats for a Buffalo Burger for lunch that was outstanding. Buffalo was the theme food for the day, I guess. As I begin to ride through the park again, I see a sign for a hiking trail called “Trail of the Cedars.” I stop and decide to go for a little hike in the woods. Motorcycle boots don’t make very good hiking footwear, then again, jeans aren’t very good for hiking, either, but it was very nice and only a couple miles long. In the middle of the trail, I stopped for a while at a creek that made relaxing gurgling sounds. I wondered how cold the water was, since the heat still had not let up. I splashed some water on my face and the back of my neck and it was very refreshing.

93290582-M.jpg

I was pretty disappointed that most of the water features in the park, the Weeping Wall, Bird Lady Falls, and so on, had all dried up to a trickle because it was so late in the summer. It was still very pretty and another place that will definitely be a family vacation spot in the near future.

I arrived back at the lodge a bit early for dinner and sat in the lobby writing in my trip journal and writing some postcards to my wife and son.

93292084-M.jpg

Fortunately, I still had some more time to kill, so I sat along the lake for a while.

93279475-M.jpg

93279821-M.jpg

As I sat at the lake, a couple of guys from back east came down and I got to listen to their overly-loud, beer-induced conversation about nothing for a while. They left and it was peaceful again.

I wandered back into the lodge to eat before the ride back to the motel. Dinner was incredible. It was definitely worth the wait. I had an Elk, Buffalo, and Venison sausage appetizer that was served with a Huckleberry BBQ sauce that was amazing. I enjoyed a beer that was called “Moose Drool” that went great with the meatloaf and mashed potatoes. I thought this dinner was very fitting of the location. As I was leaving this beautiful and relaxing place, I remembered a quote that I read on the inside of the lodge … “This is where god sat when he made America.” The quote was from an unknown person, but I would have to agree with him completely.

As I was riding back to the motel, I realized that it really did take a couple of days to truly decompress and to get comfortable on the road after a year away from traveling.

Day 5: Tuesday August 29, 2006

I woke up early to get to Big Sky BMW for tires as soon as they opened at 9am. I got tires and they adjusted my Throttlemeister for me to give my right arm a rest. I was out of there around noon, which I wasn’t too happy about considering I had made this appointment a few weeks prior.

93293913-M.jpg

Last year, I noticed my rear tire was very low on tread and I did not have an appointment, but Salt Lake City BMW got me in and out in less than an hour and didn’t even charge me labor. I was very impressed, but that would be a hard act to follow.

Anyway, I finally get on the road and I see a sign for the “Testicle Festival.” Even though I am dying of curiosity, I did not have time to see what that was all about. After a gas stop, I get back on the freeway and have to ride 35 miles per hour for a half hour or so through a construction site. There was a Harley with two people on it about a quarter mile in front of me. Right after the construction site, I began to accelerate and heard what sounded like a loud, flat tire. As I accelerated more, it got louder. As I let off the throttle, it got quieter. I did not feel anything, but I was angry because I knew this was going to set me back farther for the day. After 20 or 30 seconds, I noticed the sound got louder and further away as I began to pull over … it was the Harley in front of me with really bad exhaust packing. I began to laugh at myself because I was happy and because I knew that this was going to be an interesting road story to tell my wife.

I stopped to get another memory card for my camera before I got to Yellowstone and saw an interesting roadside sculpture of a fly-fisherman.

93295057-M.jpg

I end up riding through more construction near the west entrance of Yellowstone Park. I check into a Best Western at the west entrance and was told I got the last room. I looked out at the parking lot and saw two cars … interesting. I get to my room and go into Yellowstone for a few hours. Right away, a large Elk bull was standing across the street from me as I stopped for a picture. I realized how vulnerable I was just sitting on a motorcycle.

93299567-M.jpg

I saw Bison everywhere and a family crossed the road in front of me on my way to Old Faithful.

93304513-M.jpg

I got to Old Faithful, sat down, and within about 5 minutes, it began to erupt … perfect timing.

93301599-M.jpg

It was starting to get dark and I was going to spend the next day exploring the park, so I headed back to the motel. As I pulled in, I noticed that the parking lot was suddenly full, but goof-ball at the front desk was still checking people in … last room, sure it was! I took a shower and went to the Beartooth BBQ for dinner. Again, I was very impressed. The meat had a visible smoke ring and the waitress told me they had a huge smoker out back where most of the meat cooks all day, starting at 4 in the morning. Very nice!

Day 6: Wednesday August 30, 2006

It was a beautiful morning! I had a 40 degree ride to the post office and saw a lot of large, wonderful sculptures around town.

93306604-M.jpg

93306939-M.jpg

I was going to take advantage of the free Continental Breakfast at the motel, but it was horrible. I stopped at the Timberline restaurant and will definitely eat there again on my next trip. I rode back into the park and noticed cars were stopping in the middle of the road to watch a family of deer by a river off to my right. I pulled over in the shoulder to watch as they began jumping across the river. As I was watching, I noticed a large, dark figure in front of me that was walking towards me. It was a full-size Bison and I was boxed in by mini-vans. He kept looking at me and walking towards me. He got to about 8 to 10 feet from me and I thought I would abandon my bike and try to walk away. I had cars to the left and a medium embankment to my right. He stopped, looked at the embankment, then decided to squeeze in front of the mini-van that was next to me and walk into the street. As soon as he did this, I put my bike into first gear and kept the mini-van between me and the big hairy guy. I’m glad he didn’t decide to knock my bike over.

93300331-M.jpg

I stopped along the side of the road and watched my first Bald Eagle fishing in a river. I also took a lot of pictures of waterfalls and Yellowstone Lake.

93308941-M.jpg

93311097-M.jpg

I rode the Grand Loop Road through Yellowstone and out through the South Entrance. I went south to the Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming.

93311677-M.jpg

I rode past Jackson Lake …

93312183-M.jpg

… and stopped at a turnout to take a photo of the Grand Tetons.

93313341-M.jpg

As I was taking my picture, a guy on a 1983 BMW pulled up. He was riding across the country from Vermont to Portland, Oregon. We talked for a while and I found out he had over 200,000 miles on his air-cooled boxer twin without a problem. I rode off and went through Flaming Gorge at the south end of Wyoming.

93313889-M.jpg

I noticed how the road became very curvy and fun once I crossed into Utah at the south end of Flaming Gorge. I am convinced that Utah has some roadway engineers that ride motorcycles. Further south, I saw my first Dodge Charger police car near Vernal, Utah. Very cool looking!

I crossed into Colorado and rode past the town of Dinosaur. I rode behind a white truck and in a couple of miles, two small boys sat up in the bed. They started waving at me and I waved back. I wanted to get close to the Rockies for tomorrow’s ride. I wanted to ride over a couple of passes in the Rockies at the beginning of tomorrow. I ended up stopping at the Best Western Antlers in Glenwood Springs, Colorado. It was very nice and a bit pricey, but it was dark and I had ridden well over 600 miles after touring Yellowstone. I was beat. I checked in, took a shower, and called the wife. I was starving and wanted something, anything, hot to eat. Everything was closed. I rode a few exits each way on Highway 70 looking for anything open. I got back to my room and ordered a pizza to be delivered … last resort, but it was hot.

Day 7: Thursday August 31, 2006

I woke up and had cold pizza for breakfast … yummy! I was right on the west side of the Rockies and took Highway 70 over the Rockies to the east. I exited and took Highway 91 south. I stopped for fuel and called my wife. I gave her a quick update and saw some very dark clouds appear out of nowhere. From the time I made my phone call and filled up the gas tank, it had started to sprinkle. I looked towards Independence Pass and saw a definite storm in that direction. I put my rain gear on in the restroom of the gas station and came back out to my bike to find it raining with lighting and very loud thunder. I began to wonder what to do in a lightning storm while on a motorcycle.

I began riding south on the 91 through the Rockies past Leadville in the rain. I started to debate going over Independence Pass. I kept going slowly and the rain turned to hail briefly, twice. I finally made it to the top to have the clouds disappear.

93316049-M.jpg

93318895-M.jpg

I had seen Highway 92 in Colorado on my GPS program and always thought it would be a fun ride on a motorcycle. I was right.

93321232-M.jpg

It turned out to be a lonely two-lane in the middle of green scenery. It makes it’s way down along a reservoir and across a dam.

93321697-M.jpg

I ride into Montrose, then south into Ouray. I get to the Ouray Chalet and take a great room rate for a room without a view. I enjoyed the time I spent here last year in a really neat little room. This year I get to stay in the dungeon … great rate, though. I noticed while I rode through town that there was a Sushi sign that was not there the last time I visited. I took a shower and had sushi for dinner. A couple from Las Vegas moved up to Ouray and opened this place with a sushi bar. It was very good and I talked to the chef, who was from San Diego.

Day 8: Friday September 1, 2006

I decided to sleep in and wake up without an alarm or a wake up call. I headed out around 9 am and rode south to Silverton for breakfast. This portion of the Million Dollar Highway is the most scenic. I had breakfast at the Brown Bear Café. It was 113 years old and had a great wood bar and back-bar. I rode up and down Highway 550 and around town in Ouray for the day. I even took a nap. (Hey … I’m on vacation!) I rode to Ridgway and did laundry again. When I got back into Ouray, I went to the Beaumont Hotel for dinner and wrote some postcards. I had the best dinner of the trip there. I had seared Ahi appetizer with Yukon Gold mashed potatoes and a salad with a roasted garlic vinaigrette. Then I had a New York strip steak and a fantastic apple tartlet for dessert … WOW! I was seated on the brick patio where there was a small water fountain and tall aspen trees that were strung with white lights. I wish I could get my wife up there … I really like Ouray and this dinner was a bit too romantic to be alone, but what are you going to do? Tomorrow, Torrey!

Day 9: Saturday September 2, 2006

I left at 5am on a Saturday morning during a holiday weekend. It was still dark and no one was up. I thought I would stop for breakfast along the way after a tank of gas or so. No luck. Every little town I rode through with a diner in it was all closed up. I rode through some really cool back roads in Colorado on my way to Utah, though.

93323409-M.jpg

I found this neat little route change right around sunrise. I end up on Highway 70 around 9:30 and stop to eat finally at Starvin’ Arvins. It was packed. I continued on my way and droned along on highway 70 for 2 to 3 hours, then Highway 72 … my favorite road in Utah. It was very enjoyable and I arrived in Torrey around 5pm. When I got into town, I talked to a guy on a beautiful brand-new blue 2006 BMW K1200GT in front of the Chuck Wagon. I checked in and I decided to ride into Capital Reef National Park for some sunset pics.

93332780-M.jpg

I went to Café Diablo and the Chef, Gary, remembered me from last year. He said, “BMW guy, right? You came earlier in the spring last year with a heavy jacket … you sat right out there … you ordered the lamb …” Then he said, “Let’s get you something to eat.” Music to my ears!

Day 10: Sunday September 3, 2006

I rode Highway 95 again today. One of the prettiest roads anywhere. There is a section of the 95 near the Colorado River that is the background on my computer at work. Today is the day I ride to Lake Powell. I am riding along in the backcountry of Utah at about 75 miles per hour, I round a turn and no more road! Nothing but deep gravel! No warning … no sign … I just rotate off of the throttle and fell my front end and back end float along left and right until I get down to about 30 miles per hour. Not very fun and I am swearing loudly into my helmet at the construction crew that obviously had the holiday weekend off.

93338075-M.jpg

I get close to the ferry crossing and notice I am running very low on fuel. I hit the ‘find’ button on my GPS and it says there are no gas stations along the way back to Torrey … that’s not good. I ask it to find the nearest gas station and it’s about 35 miles out of the way in the town of Blanding. I missed the ferry by 3 minutes and it’s a two hour wait, so I start riding towards Blanding and figure I’ll get gas and lunch, then make it back in time to jump on the next ferry across Lake Powell. I make the long run for gas and back and miss the ferry again by 15 minutes … I have to wait another 2 hours in the sun and heat for the next ferry.

93338389-M.jpg

The ferry arrives and I have plenty of room and park in the shade …

93339324-M.jpg

93339616-M.jpg

We get underway crossing Lake Powell and I notice on my GPS that the boat is doing about 9.1 miles per hour.

93340237-M.jpg

This is yet another place that I think about future family vacations … I take some pictures of the lake and the houseboats that are out on it.

93341042-M.jpg

The ferry pulls into Bullfrog and the first thing I see are 4 large gas stations. You gotta love that GPS! Anyway, on my way back to Torrey, I ride behind a Honda ST1300 and a late-90’s BMW K1200RS with Colorado plates.

Day 11: Monday September 4, 2006

I didn’t have much planned for today. I wanted to hike to this natural bridge that was a few miles from the road before it got too hot. It was very nice and it actually was a bit of a workout since it climbed a bit.

93343455-M.jpg

93342680-M.jpg

I had lunch back at Torrey and went for a quick ride on Highway 12. You never know what you are going to see on the side of the road in the backcountry of Utah.

93325398-M.jpg

93324691-M.jpg

I found a little dirt road that led to a shaded Aspen grove. I decided to ride out there and sit down for a while. I can’t seem to take a road trip and not ride on the dirt. If I thought a BMW R1200GS could be as comfortable as my R1150RT was on the street, I would trade it in … but I’m not so sure it would be.

93268441-M.jpg

93270040-M.jpg

I got back to the motel and park next to a couple of older BMW boxers.

93270311-M.jpg

Day 12: Tuesday September 5, 2006

Party’s over. I get up at 4 am to try and get as far through the desert as I can before it gets too hot. It is 106 as I ride through Baker and I get home around 2 pm, California time. I was very nice and I had a lot of fun. I was just getting into the groove and I wasn’t ready to come home quite yet. I do have a couple of regrets. I couldn’t do anything about the oppressive heat, but I wish I would have been a little more patient at the beginning of the trip and kept to the 101 up to Seattle … I already have another trip planned up the coast to remedy that. I was happy that I got to visit Glacier and the curiosity is finally satisfied. I was very happy with the reliability of my bike, as I always am. I am not a very small guy and I packed a lot of extra weight on the bike. Then I hammered the poor thing up and down the numerous passes between Las Vegas and home, relentlessly, in triple-digit heat … that is tough for an air-cooled bike, but it barely broke a sweat. I am very impressed and I would trust this bike on any ride, anywhere!

GREAT report. Thanks for taking the time and effort to share.

I can’t seem to take a road trip and not ride on the dirt.

I think we may have a new "Weinerdog" in the house. lmao.gif

Well ... my next adventure is going to be a bit earlier in the summer next year and I'm going to take about 3 weeks and do the 4-Corners of the U.S. I am really looking forward to seeing Maine and riding around the Great Lakes. If you thought this post was long, I can't even imagine what that post is going to look like! grin.gif

You bring home a great tip for motor tours: Keep a journal. Not for us, but for you. In 10 years you will be able to relive the joy and the pain so much more through your notes. Great job!

As much as I love the Tetons, this is my favorite shot. Great exposure balance and composition.

93342680-M.jpg

I get on the 101 and find afternoon rush-hour traffic (of course). At this point it was my fist day on the road, the weather is still in the 90’s, the coast that I thought was going to be great for motorcycling was slow and boring, and Santa Rosa might as well have been Santa Ana
You can hardly judge the coast by 101 through Santa Rosa, the coast is 20 miles to the west and the PCH over there is wonderful all the way from the Golden Gate bridge to Crescent City.

No ... I agree. I was actually riding on PCH and the plan was to turn east to grab a motel in Santa Rosa, then the next morning, take the same road back to the coast and continue north. It was just too frustrating to not be able to get away from the heat and I was too impatient. What I am going to do is go back and ride up the coast to Seattle, then back home on the 395. Maybe in October.

Thanks, GelStra. When I worked in Hollywood, I used to do a lot of photography, but I just use a digital point-and-shoot when I ride, now. I like the composure, too, but I would have been a bit happier if I had the choice to knock the exposure down a half-stop and toss a polorizing filter in front of the lens. I really need to get back into it, I think!

Just got back from riding around Sturgis (all the Nat'l Parks in S. Dakota and Wyoming), but your incredible pictures and narrative make me even more excited about riding Montana and seeing Glacier Nat'l Park and all of Oregon, Washington, and Colorado ... thanks!!

ully211

'02 RT1150

Francois_Dumas

Been waiting all day for Smugmug to come back on-line.... and see your pictures !

Oh man.. oh man !!! Awesome !!

I also like the pictures of yourself, that's a neat idea... might steal it too ! wink.gif

Awesome country and great photos, thank you for sharing your trip !! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

When I got back from a trip in 2005, I had one photo of me in a really cool room in Colorado

26144978-M.jpg

So, before I left on this trip, one of the conditions was that I took some pics of myself for her ...

93314276-M.jpg

93320344-M.jpg

93336265-M.jpg

93285537-M.jpg

Gotta keep the wife happy so I can keep getting approvals on my trip requests ... self-portraits are any easy price to pay! grin.gif

Absolutely fantastic report, Tim. Congratulations on an outstanding trip. Also glad to know you enjoyed Utah 72 (Sweeper Madness). It's also one of my favorite rides near Torrey.

One of these days, I'll make it to Torrey with you guys instead of going alone ... actually, I have already talked the wife into both of us attending Torrey in the spring. thumbsup.gif

Owning both an RT and GS ADV, I'd have to say that the GS is the most comfortable touring bike I have ridden. I wouldn't hesitate to get one, if you truly have a desire to ride some dirt on your trips.

Hey Tim what a great trip. I did a mega RV trip for the whole month of July. While I was up in Glacier (Yellowstone, Banff and Jasper) I saw all types of motorcysles touring and boy was I drooling tongue.gif Now dont get me wrong I totally loved spending the trip with my family...it was Awesome. But I sure would like to do that on a motorcycle grin.gif

Here is a pic through my truck windshield some where between Jasper and Banff

Jasper.jpg

This Picture is one of my boys and a friend at Hidden Lake in Glacier National Park.

glacier.jpg

One more pic of a glacier near Banff

banff.JPG

By the way 2 weeks after we got back from our vacation I went and purchased a new 2006 R1220RT thumbsup.gif

One of the most beautiful drives in the world (in my eyes anyway) via bike or cage is the drive between Jasper and Banff Canada.

Anybody up for a trip? tongue.gifgrin.gif

Here is a pic through my truck windshield some where between Jasper and Banff

That looks like Bow Lake, we stayed at Num-Ti-Jah Lodge last year

HPIM1604.sized.jpg

The lake

HPIM1601.sized.jpg

And the temp when we left in the morning :-)

HPIM1609.sized.jpg

This Picture is one of my boys and a friend at Hidden Lake in Glacier National Park.

One more pic of a glacier near Banff

By the way 2 weeks after we got back from our vacation I went and purchased a new 2006 R1220RT thumbsup.gif

One of the most beautiful drives in the world (in my eyes anyway) via bike or cage is the drive between Jasper and Banff Canada.

Anybody up for a trip? tongue.gifgrin.gif

Anytime, it's only 3 hours from here. ;-)

Here's a link to all the photos from the Trip:

September Long Weekend Trip Photos

Icefields Parkway, Bow Valley Parkway, Kananaskis Country, Bragg Creek, Calgary, Reynolds Alberta Museum in Wetaskiwin for the "Life and Times of the Motorcycle", and finally home.

Funny you mention about being one of the most beautiful drives/rides... I have lived right beside the rockies for the past 25 years and made too many trips over them to count (parents on Vancouver Island) and take them for granted. Until Jodie and I rode through them on our bikes! Totally awestruck and an experience like you'll never imagine in a car, convertible or not. You just experience your environment on a bike as you ride through it! It's the only way to travel! :-)

Archived