IGNORED

What tire repair kit do you like?

Huzband

I'm trying to decide which kit I should carry. I've looked at the Stop-N-Go with mushroom plugs, & also kits with "sticky ropes".

So tell me, what do you carry, & have you had any bad experiences with either?

Appreciate the input. cool.gif

Danny,

Someone else here recommended the Dynaplug and after looking at them I liked what I saw (all the parts fit in the handle). I ordered one and it seems like it's well made, but I can't say how well it works since, I'm glad to say, I haven't needed it yet.

http://www.dynaplug.com/

Last weekend I packed up and prepared to head out to the Sipapu Rally in New Mexico. Just prior to leaving I checked the tire pressure and found it was very low on my rear tire. Hummmm. Further inspection revealed a nail penetration. I carry the Dyna Plug, but had never used it. I screwed up the first two plug attempts based on inexperience and determined lubrication is the key to, ah, well...easy insertion. Using saliva I was successful at inserting the third plug but soapy solution indicated I still had a small leak. I deduced that the plug would become sticky when the tire heated up and proceeded 15 miles to a local tire shop just in case I needed professional help. But upon testing the tire again, I discovered the heat did indeed seal the hole. Bottom line is that the Dyna Plug worked well, but I recommend you try it before you actually need it.

I have a Stop-n-Go kit that I keep with the Harley, and I have passed on one or two after buying them. I keep reading that steel belts cut them in short order (after I buy them at a good price.)

I now carry a Dynaplug with the BMW and have used it a couple or more times. 1,000's of miles on them. Cute little brass heads are reminders during tire changes. Get extras, you may need to double or triple up.

I have used the rust colored tar snakes successfully several times, and usually have them in my tool kit on longer trips. I don’t like making a hole in my tire bigger so they are not my first choice.

I now carry a "Cyclepump" because I got one as a gift, but the $15 Target pump with plastic-removed-for-space served me well for years.

I use the sticky ropes, rasp and insertion tool available at any auto parts store and most gas stations. A dozen or so repairs have all been successful and I've never had a plug failure. It all costs about $10. I also carry a small compressor with the BMW style plug mounted on it.

I bought this

I bought this and am quite pleased with how it was all put together. Hopefully I won't ever need it. Last time I needed one I used the BMW kit and was back on the road in a about 30 minutes.

Try this instead.
I have used the sticky strings quite successful. I would also recommend to carry a small compressor. You never know.

+1

I have had the rubber kind come out twice, but the strig kind last for 9K miles.

Jim cool.gif

Just had a flat coming in from West Texas today..Used my Wal Mart compressor, sticky ropes, rasping tool and rubber cement for lubrication..Took me about 10 minutes.. 300 miles to home and didn't lose an ounce of air.. thumbsup.gif

Has anyone had experience with the co2 cartridge air pumps? I notice they come in 12g & 16g sizes. How many cartriges does it take to fill a rear tire? I have an R1200RT. Would like to hear from practical experience the quantity of cartriges and size of cartriges used.

I use the CO2 while cycling and always carry spare cartridges as contingency for patches that didn't hold, valves on new tubes have failed, etc. I have even experienced cartridges that didn't quite seat and thus loose air prior to use. Anyway, I believe it's ok to carry and use the cartridges as a quick method of inflation, but I wouldn't rely on them as the only method of inflating the tire in the middle of no where.

Archived