IGNORED

Meandering thru So Cal...a CA Ride Tale with Pix

AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser

When the forecast calls for a 106 degree day, what’s the best way to cool off? Even though So Cal seemed mired in another of its seemingly interminable heat waves, taking a moto trip just seemed right. Which would explain why I was meeting Carl in the cool post dawn air, and hopefully Jerry Mather in Frazier Park, later on!

92954556-M.jpg

After exchanging pleasantries:

“Hot enough for ya?”

“Sure, but it’s a dry heat…”

We thumbed the starters and launched for the mountains north of Los Angeles, knowing we’d find some cool air.. Surveying a perfect mountain morn, we decided to snake down Sierra Highway to Palmdale, in search of County Road N2.

93069379-M.jpg

93072417-M.jpg

Unfortunately, N2 out of Palmdale is a city boulevard. We labored to escape the sprawl of suburban Palmdale, and soon we were scooting thru the local foothills. Quick! Better ride this before the state takes out all the curves. This is what they are doing even as I type this! Fortunately, we find Leona Valley and realize there is still countryside here…

It was beautiful running through the valley, especially with the incredible clouds in the east. The remnants of the last Baja Hurricane left the air very humid, but at speed it wasn’t bad at all. We flew thru the valley, running past Lake Elizabeth, which seems to be emitting a strange, sulfurous odor today. The water did look pretty, but the aroma seemed to belie other issues. Anyway, we continued down to Three Corners and out into the upper deserts again.

93077649-M.jpg

93079967-M.jpg

93077032-M.jpg

Turning west, we continued on N2 to Gorman Post road. Gorman Post is largely forgotten by automobiles, long since eclipsed by CA 138 and Interstate 5. So, we had the dips, twists and turns to ourselves! Gorman hasn't been ignored by the fires, however. This small ranch just escaped devastation...

93068130-M.jpg

We slowed briefly for Gorman and then accelerated up the on ramp northbound on Interstate 5 and the rapidly approaching Frazier Park exit.

Now, we were running about 25 minutes late, and I doubted Jerry would still be at our designated restaurant/gas station. All doubts were laid to rest as I decelerated to a stop near the restaurant. There was Jerry, sitting outside the restaurant, smoking a cigar, the picture of contentment!

Jerry is a great guy to ride with, or in my case, behind. On my best day I’d be about half his speed. (half-fast??) Still, he’s an easy going friend who can tell some pretty good stories about his exploits in the Avila Beach area. Hey, you are gonna have to ask him yourself-remember, this is a ride tale!

Anyway, even though he is quick and I’m merely half-fast, Jerry said, “You gotta lead, man.” “Why?” I asked. Jerry responded his V1 was dead, and had recently sent it back for updating. Jerry must have know that for me, “spirited” means 7-10 over the limit, with lots of photo stops. I said, this is cool…for once, Jerry will be in MY rearviews!

As it turned out, Carl and I were only about half an hour getting to our rendezvous. “No problem,” he said. “I just got some breakfast. I knew you guys would wait for me if I was late.”

93075770-M.jpg

We had a cold drink, fired up the bikes and struck out for Mt. Pinos. Great riding up here! No traffic, tons o’ twisties, great scenery, and some very precipitous drop offs. Good place to watch where you are going. Here are some pix:

93070696-M.jpg

93080226-M.jpg

92984330-M-1.jpg

92981416-M-1.jpg

92994105-M.jpg

92977875-M-1.jpg

Finally, nerves tingling from all the fun in the twisties, we exited on CA 33/166. We decided the next portion of our ride would be dirt.

92995074-M.jpg

After all, don’t the K1200RS and the R1150RT qualify as big, comfy dirt bikes? I know Carl’s Viffer certainly did!

Carrizo Plain was magnificent: miles of nothing but miles studded by old ranches and equipment. Very scenic and brilliantly hot, but the mesh gear and lots of water seemed to make the ride tolerable for the three of us. Did I mention it was hot?

93008138-M.jpg

93011473-M.jpg

92996721-M.jpg

93524502-M.jpg

Finally, we found a tree and some shade, which seemed like a good place to plan the rest of the ride…Jerry suggested the seafood restaurant on the end of the Avila Beach pier, so off we went, cruising somewhat prudently through the foothills of the coastal ranges. Every so often I’d get random KA band hits, but we never saw the LEOs. Hmmm…isn’t that the way they’d want it?

All to soon, we dipped down into San Luis Obispo, and then Avila. We rode out onto the pier, found convenient parking and chowed down. The place served a great seafood meal, roughly on par with Phil’s IMHO, and many miles closer. Carl and I agreed that Jerry was the man!

93085704-M.jpg

93525594-M.jpg

Once we were stuffed with calamari, we continued south on CA 1 and then CA 135 to Los Alamos. Carl had never ridden this route so we were happy to show him some great scenery…

Unfortunately, once we connected back up with CA 101, it was business as usual on the freeway. Jerry left us in a blur, and Carl and I rode home together, as we live only a few miles apart.

Today was a truly wonderful day for riding…the hum of the tires, the weather, the sights, the food, the speed, the friends…isn’t this why we ride?

“Sure, but it’s a dry heat…”
I shouldn't still find that funny, but alas... lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Glad you guys hooked up. Looks like it was a great day.

Thanks for sharing and taking all the pics.

Yes it was a wonderful day of riding. I am starting to realize that a day of riding with Steve is more then just a day of motorcycle riding, more like an adventure, 825 miles for lunch one ride. Twenty to Thirty miles of dirt biking on a Viffer the next.

A big thanks to Jerry for suggesting and introducing us to Pete's Pier side Cafe at the end of Harford Pier which is a actual working pier, with recreational and commercial fishing boats coming and going, good food and a great view

Nice tale, Steve. I sure hope it cools off some before I get back there next month. You guys get some extra credit for the dirt, too.

Thanks

Dave

Francois_Dumas

Marvellous report Steve. And beautiful photos to top it off !! Looks like a great day you had...... hmmm.... my 'dry heats' always turn wet within 5 minutes anyway... I envy people who don't seem to sweat 5 gallons/hour !! smirk.gif

Thanks for sharing!!! thumbsup.gif

Steve-

You forgot to tell everyone that you hit the 106MPH mark on that dirt road! And I thought my 75MPH on it was cooking. dopeslap.gif

Carl-

FYI: It was the Avila Beach Pier and the Old Port Inn where we had lunch.

If anyone of you ever decide to go up into this area and are in need of a relaxing Hot Tub experience, stop in at the Sycamore Springs Resort. They have over twenty private Redwood Spas located between the oak trees on their hillside that you can rent per hour until 1AM. And if that's not enough, you can book a massage up until 9PM. thumbsup.gif

AdventurePoser
Steve-

You forgot to tell everyone that you hit the 106MPH mark on that dirt road! And I thought my 75MPH on it was cooking. dopeslap.gif

Carl-

FYI: It was the Avila Beach Pier and the Old Port Inn where we had lunch.

If anyone of you ever decide to go up into this area and are in need of a relaxing Hot Tub experience, stop in at the Sycamore Springs Resort. They have over twenty private Redwood Spas located between the oak trees on their hillside that you can rent per hour until 1AM. And if that's not enough, you can book a massage up until 9PM. thumbsup.gif

Jerry, we are gonna give the Inn a try, and thanks for remembering the name of the restaurant for me. I didn't put it in my notes. Def. a nice place to spend an afternoon...;

Thanks for riding with me!

Steve

AdventurePoser

93085704-M.jpg

YUKKK eek.gif

Say Steve, wasn't it hot blush.gifgrin.gif

Sounds like your ready for a GS(A) thumbsup.gif

Hey, those little baby squids were delicious! BTW, my wife laughed when she saw this pic, she says this is the goofiest expression I've ever had on my face... smile.gif

Cheers,

steve

AdventurePoser
BABY squid?!? You're a beast!

I'm w Eric...yuk!

eek.gif

And back online now that Leslie fixed me up at Arnold Tech Daze!

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Glad you are back..we wondered what happened!

Steve

BTW, my wife laughed when she saw this pic, she says this is the goofiest expression I've ever had on my face... smile.gif

Cheers,

steve

Ya, you look like a squid tongue.gifgrin.gif

Archived