IGNORED

the last straw

scottd

This was a pretty big straw at that. Major driveline issue left me on the side of the road yesterday. I don't know exactly what yet but it made the loudest, screeching metallic noise I have ever heard. This makes the seventh time I have been towed in. When you are on a first name basis with the tow guys, you know you're in trouble. The short list of problems: new starter at 300 mi., new pistons and cylinders, inner main seal, outer main seal, complete new motor at 4000 mi., gas line came apart, now this!!

The bike is an 04 RT, the one all the bugs should have been worked out. I'm going to talk to the dealer to see if he can give me a good deal on a new bike.

Wouldn't this bike fit into the lemon category?

Your list pretty much has the whole drivetrain included especially now that maybe the final drive has surrendered by the sounds of it.

A complete new engine! Seriously how can BMWNA not consider this bike a loss and put you on another bike?

A insurance company surely would have written it off.

The amount of labor and components has to be nearing half of retail value if not over. I guess that's still within their reasonable limit though.

Lemon law doesn't apply to motorcycles in California. The dealers only obligation is to fix under warrantee. I'm hoping for a bit more. I still haven't heard back on what the problem is.

I had a problem 2002 RT and contacted BMWNA in New Jersey. They ultimately made me happy by buying my bike back and giving me a new 2004 RT. Florida lemon law does not cover motorcycles either but BMWNA gave me the same offer they give to lemon cars here. It cost me 10 cents a mile on my 2002. 12000 miles and $1200 dollars later they made me very happy with a new 2004 RT. In my opinion they are a great company . I was firm but always nice to them and my 2002 was my second new BMW in a year. I think they could tell I was a BMW rider for a long time to come and wanted to make me happy. They also compensated me for my bike being in the shop for over a combined period of 30 days . I don't know many companies who would step up to the plate like they did. thumbsup.gif

The short list of problems: new starter at 300 mi., new pistons and cylinders, inner main seal, outer main seal, complete new motor at 4000 mi., gas line came apart, now this!!

The bike is an 04 RT, the one all the bugs should have been worked out. I'm going to talk to the dealer to see if he can give me a good deal on a new bike.

Scott, you have a more forgiving nature and a more positive attitude than I do, or is this a case of faith triumphant over experience? I'd say that BMW and your dealer definitely owe you a good deal. Good luck and keep us posted.

Peter '73 R75/5, '04 R1150RA

Turns out to be the ever popular splines. At 14000 mi maybe a new record. It's actually even worse than that because they replaced the motor at 4000 and eveything looked good so it's really only 10000 mi. New trans on order. I'm hoping to work wth the shop on a deal on a new GS. We'll see.

Wouldn't this bike fit into the lemon category?

Your list pretty much has the whole drivetrain included especially now that maybe the final drive has surrendered by the sounds of it.

A complete new engine! Seriously how can BMWNA not consider this bike a loss and put you on another bike?

A insurance company surely would have written it off.

The amount of labor and components has to be nearing half of retail value if not over. I guess that's still within their reasonable limit though.

I have to agree. This looks like a lemon and you may want to bring the issue with BMWNA under these terms. Don't lose the faith and get the GS that you are craving for!

Regards

Archived