IGNORED

'06 RTstarving/stalling at first throttle

bmw_keith

I might be imagining this, but I don't remember this happening before the 1k service, just after.

1) bike sits all night/day

2) I get on, start it (no throttle)

3) I push off the center stand, then put in in gear to leave

4a) I can feel it stalling and I pull the clutch in and throttle it

4b) It pops and stalls. Starts right back up and is fine.

5) If I throttle it first, it's fine, but I shouldn't have to, right?

I don't know if this will help but: When mine came back from its first service it was a bit hard to start in the cold. I had to give it a bit of throttle to get it to start up (otherwise it was often hard starting). If I didn't give it a bit of throttle it wouldn't start (would start and quit etc.). A touch of throttle and it fired fine and ran perfect after that. I had my first service done in the spring and it was still pretty cold here (I live in Canada eh?). Prior to the first service being done I could walk out in -6C weather and the bike would fire up first touch of the button. In my case the problem disappared probably because the weather got warmer (but I can't be sure). I just had the 10,000km (6,000 mile) service done and the bike is running better than ever.

Keith,

I have a '06 RT and I am feeling the same stalling symptom on my RT. When the engine is cold (in summer time) and when I throttle it right after the ignition, I feel that it is going to kill and releasing the throttle to not to kill and wait for a couple of seconds. Than it is ready to go.

I'll make it unanimous, my 06 has the same issue. I think now that it's getting a little colder we will hear more and more about cold start issues. I typically start the motorcycle prior to putting on my gloves and helmet and that seems to be enough time to "warm up"?

My 06 RT has none of these problems, but....

My previous K1200GT (2003) had exactly the same symptoms you suggest. I had to wait for about 20 to 30 seconds before touching the throttle after a cold start. Any attempt to touch the throttle before this would almost always make it stall. The bike was like that for the entire 3 years/50,000km I had it, but much more touchy when very cold (-3C or less).

The problem seemed to be related to the brand of fuel I used (sort of). When I used anything but Mobil fuel, a cold start would also tend to stall after a few hundred revs, even without throttle input. Mobil fuel seemed to make the cold starts much more reliable, although I still had to leave the throttle alone for a while. Maybe fuel type could solve your problem.

I have also run (so far) two types of fuel (Mobil and Caltex) in my RT, with none of these problems.

Dave.

sounds very promising. to clarify, it's been happening throughout the summer. When I say cold, I just mean it's been sitting all day or night. Definitely happened after the first service.

anyway, you're past my engine knowledge, but is this what we're looking for:

CIMG4628.jpg

Is that the cap, in place?

CIMG4632.jpg

I couldn't find one on the other side, but I didn't take the fairing off either. Should there be another?

My '06 has the same issue on each cold start. And I too mean cold engine, not cold ambient temperature. It can be 80 outside, but when I fire the bike up cold and go to leave she bogs....then she's good to go. Odd.

Yes, the left side should have a hose connected to the fuel overflow cannister or a rubber cap like the right side. The repair manual showes a rubber cap for the left side but my California bike has the hose. confused.gif

If you see bare brass plugs that is the culprite. You can easily test it by covering the plug while the bike is running. It will immediately run smoother.

My 06 RT does basically the same thing at least half the time. The first time I touch the throttle after starting in the morning makes it want to stall (RPMs drop a few hundred before the motor revs). I've started blipping the throttle before even putting it in gear just to get it out of the system before I start moving.

It can still be a little tempermental for the first minute but 95% of the time it's fine after the first throttle movement. I did have it stall on me near the end of my block once as I was leaving for work. I had stopped at the corner, made a right starting in first gear, and when I shifted to second it just died as soon as I got back on the gas after the shift...coasted to a stop and had to restart. It was pretty weird since I was moving about 10mph when this happened.

I didn't notice any of this until after tho 600mi service, but I wasn't very familiar with the bike before that so it could have been doing it all along.

I really hate to do this BUT...

Turns out I have the same problem... stalls after start if I give it to much to soon. However, I just checked and eveything seems in order: Hose attached on left side, rubber plug on right side.

What gives?

ShovelStrokeEd

Cold engine and fuel distribution woes. Thank the EPA or whatever agency is similar in your country. More than likely, due to stricter regulations, BMW has had to cut back on the cold start and cold engine enrichment curves. Add some cold port walls and the fuel that should be in suspension winds up condensing out. Presto, instant bog.

Solution is simple, let the engine idle for 30 or so seconds before starting off. Start motor, put on helmet, sunglasses and gloves. Mount bike and ride off.

I have always (relative term, as I got mine in April) let my RT warm up before riding off, despite what the manual might say. When I say "warm up", I mean until I see some something appear in the temp guage. I'm getting geared up while it's warming up. I only do this before a first-of-the-day cold start.

That's pretty much what I figured the problem is.

Cold engine and fuel distribution woes. Thank the EPA or whatever agency is similar in your country. More than likely, due to stricter regulations, BMW has had to cut back on the cold start and cold engine enrichment curves. Add some cold port walls and the fuel that should be in suspension winds up condensing out. Presto, instant bog.

Solution is simple, let the engine idle for 30 or so seconds before starting off. Start motor, put on helmet, sunglasses and gloves. Mount bike and ride off.

I always thought this problem might have been fuel related....

And,

I have always (relative term, as I got mine in April) let my RT warm up before riding off, despite what the manual might say. When I say "warm up", I mean until I see some something appear in the temp guage. I'm getting geared up while it's warming up. I only do this before a first-of-the-day cold start.

This may be tantamount to mentioning the war, and there are various schools of thought about 'warming up' internal combustion engines. But I would never recommend leaving a cold motor idling for more than about 30 seconds after first starting. I have always subscribed to the theory that the warmup should occur while riding at a subdued pace. An idling motor (so I believe) if running rich will coat the internal cylinder walls with unburnt fuel, which doesn't lubricate quite as well as oil. You also do nothing for warming up the other components (gearbox, drive shaft), even though the engine may be closer to operating temp.

However, I do know some people (my neighbour for one) who let their car engines idle from cold for 10 minutes, and it doesn't seem to have had any problems with the longevity of the car. Mind you, I haven't driven it - it may be awfully worn.

Dave.

I have never had this problem with my '05 R12RT. Except once it stalled just after a cold start up. Unfortunately, I was doing a low speed right hand turn at the time. Engine stops, bike stops, bike falls over - was unable to pull the clutch in on time and didn't get my feet down soon enough. The result was scratched rocker cover and pannier lid. frown.gif

Archived