IGNORED

Head lamp bulbs

BOOCH

I,m sure this subject has been beaten to death in the past but I,m lousy at searching the archives...I want (need) to replace a low beam bulb and might as well change them all.What is the make/model bulbs that will throw the most light and last WITHOUT needing to upgrade the wiring etc.

Steve

2005 R1200RT

Steve

I fitted the vision plus, much whiter light. I got the left one replaced after a fair bit of mucking around but the right has an additinal bracket in the way, I eventually removed the dash to get them in. I suggest this is the way to go first up.

Ian thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I've had 4 bulbs (low beam) go in the past 30K.. The first pair went at around 20K, first the right, then the left 1K later.. Now I just crested 30K, and again the right died first, then the left.. Anyone else seeing premature bulb life ont he R12RT?

No touching of the bulb was involved in any of the replacements.. Do H7's crap out this fast?

On the actual replacement, you can get either bulb out without removing the dash, but it's atight fit, especialy on the right with teh extra bracket..

Ride Safe,

Craig

This is great timing. I almost posted the exact same question yesterday but had not done the search so I delayed. I have 14K miles and my right light is out.

Is the HID really worth that price delta (>$125) ?

I have read a couple of EU reports on the philips bulbs and I was thinking of trying them myself but I am interested in the HID's. I ride every day, pre-dawn, to work.

Craig,

If it's any consolation my bulbs go after 10,000 miles bncry.gif (left and then right) - thats why I don't buy the more expensive bulb types anymore! Four bulbs in 20,000 miles - I'd better start saving for the next set now I'm on 25,000 miles (they are scheduled to blow mid winter).

Cheers

Richard

I've had 4 bulbs (low beam) go in the past 30K.. The first pair went at around 20K, first the right, then the left 1K later.. Now I just crested 30K, and again the right died first, then the left.. Anyone else seeing premature bulb life ont he R12RT?

No touching of the bulb was involved in any of the replacements.. Do H7's crap out this fast?

On the actual replacement, you can get either bulb out without removing the dash, but it's atight fit, especialy on the right with teh extra bracket..

Ride Safe,

Craig

Both of mine went at around 24k, a couple of days apart.

Must be like Christmas tree lights...when one goes....

Mine did the same thing, first the left and then the right in a matter of a few days. I went to Auto Zone and picked up a pair of Phillips H-7s in a two pack, installed them in the parking lot. I have a friend who got his bulbs replaced by the dealer under warranty? confused.gif

I replaced my original globes with plus50 globes just after I bought the bike and they are still going after 15000km - having said this they will low this morning...

The H4 globes in my old R1100RT would only last about 12 months/20000km, so I'm not expecting any more out of hte H7's.

Try the bulbs made by Piaa (www.piaa.com)they are brighter and have a filament support designed to resist vibration - most Rally cars use them. They are expensive but a lot less than H.I.D (which also suffer from high replacement costs)

Archived