IGNORED

Gas smell

gottabmw

I started my '04 R1150RT today using the choke (all the way up) since it was a little chilly this morning. After starting and backing out of the garage, I noticed a strong gas smell and then noticed a little puddle under the bike. This happened the other day too. I'm not sure, but I think it's related to using the choke. Another possible factor is that it barely began running after a few cranks, then quit. I started it a second time, again using the choke, and it started right up

My '04 is doing the same thing. A friend told me about a recall on our bikes in reference to gas line O-rings or something along those lines. Haven't checked with the dealer yet ... but soon. Some of the other threads posted here say it might be either the O-rings in the quick disconnects or the crimp on type clamps used at the factory. Mines not leaking as bad as yours; all i'm getting is the raw gas smell.

I started my '04 R1150RT today using the choke (all the way up) since it was a little chilly this morning. After starting and backing out of the garage, I noticed a strong gas smell and then noticed a little puddle under the bike. This happened the other day too. I'm not sure, but I think it's related to using the choke. Another possible factor is that it barely began running after a few cranks, then quit. I started it a second time, again using the choke, and it started right up

gottabmw, I doubt it is the CHOKE as that really isn't a choke as you would think of it.. All that lever does is force a fast idle same as you would if you held the twist grip open a little (no actual choking involved)..

If the gas puddle up under the front or side of the engine look for those leaking "0" rings or a leak at a fuel line clamps along the R/H side of the fuel tank.. If the leak is more towards the rear on the R/H side look for an overfilled fuel tank or fuel condensing & running out of the carbon canister vent line..

Twisty

Steve:

Check to see if the puddle of gas is coming from one of the lines running just behind your rear brake peddle. These lines come from your vent (at your gas cap) and the infamous black tube (charcoal filter on the right side of the bike just above and behind your rear shock damper).

If so, it could be the lines inside the tank are leaking. If they are, replacement will fix it all.

I had the same scary thing happen to me - smell of gas from the garage, and a puddle under the bike after riding home from work.

Turned out to be the quick-disconnect in fuel line to the tank had cracked (a wire tie was holding it too tightly in a bind).

A search of the forum will provide a brass alternative found in the McMaster Carr catalog, I believe.

WyreNut

Archived