IGNORED

Adding oil to your Hexhead?

fla_rider

now for those newbies who are ignorant about such things as I WAS! There is a special tool to add oil to your bike, to open the oil fill cap. Do not try to muscle it, pound on or crank on it with an adjustable anything. Look under your seat in the toolkit<right> and there is a little plastic thingy that fits into the top of the oil fill cap.

Don't ask how i got to be so enlightened.......... dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Hmmm, the dealer told me about mine as part of the walk-around. I hope you didn't try to muscle that thing outta there with a nail clipper, wooden spoon, and shrimp fork.lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

On the walk around with my new rt, I was to put it on finger snug so as to be able to get it off again without resorting to the tool under the seat. Works ok so far for me. thumbsup.gif

While the Owner's Manual does neglect some information it does say to use the tool in the tool kit.

I usually do it up finger tight so then I don't have the hassle of getting the tool out. It so difficult to find amongst all those other tools in the tool kit. crazy.gif

Steve

Just use the flat blade of a screwdriver to bump it open on one of the plastic pieces that sticks up and bump it closed the same way. Piece of cake man.

why not just use the tool that is under the seat? confused.gif

I do. I make it good and tight. Then when I need to add some oil. I use the tool again and off comes the cap. no biggie.

Dan

That would absolutely be too easy to use the tool intended for that purpose (hee, hee). Mine is buried in the tool kit also. Most of the time when I am adding oil I am at home so it is just easier to grab a screwdriver.

The idea of using the tool under the seat a good one. The funny thing is I have owned +/- 15 bikes and never needed a special tool to open the oil cap. It never dawned on me that my BMW was so unique that the cap was designed in such a way that a special tool was provided solely for that purpose. Somehow that seems over designed to me. But , hey that's part of what makes it special. thumbsup.gif

I found that a nut (I used one that fits a 3/4" wrench) will sit down in the socket portion of the cap. Just set the nut down in there and turn with a wrench and voila. I suspect a metric size would fit perfectly but the 3/4 is close enough. thumbsup.gif

I think it's an anti-tamper thing.

At least it's not like the K1200RS/GT. I went on a ride with someone who had one of those. He had to add some oil and I was in disbelief to see that the hole was on a vertical surface and required a funnel. After seeing that I have no complaints about the hexhead oil filling procedure.

Dan

....Mine is buried in the tool kit also...

I know I sound like I'm being flippant...but I don't believe there is enough in said "tool kit" to "bury" anything. From my perspective, I added a swiss army knife to the toolkit and increased its effectiveness by 700%

I think it's an anti-tamper thing.

Buy why make it tamper resistant? I have always figured this would keep my enemies from putting sand or dishwashing powder in there, but it is easy enough to defeat, and I can't imagine that someone determined to do my bike harm would be thwarted entirely just because he couldn't get the oil filler open. And what a hassle if the cap is on tightly, I need to add oil and can't find my wrench or a suitable substitute! The bother isn't worse the dubious benefit to me.

Jay

Buy why make it tamper resistant?

Jay

I've wondered about that too. I've never owned a bike that offerred a locking oil cap, let alone needed one. Being my first, I just assumed that BMW's attracted a really rough crowd. dopeslap.gif

Dan

That would absolutely be too easy to use the tool intended for that purpose (hee, hee). Mine is buried in the tool kit also. Most of the time when I am adding oil I am at home so it is just easier to grab a screwdriver.

Try a using a sealing type, plastic sandwich baggie to hold the tool and put it in your tank bag (or in that monstrous "glove box" on the RT's)...Real handy then...

Phil......Redbrick

Are we adding oil that frequently that "ready" access to that special tool is needed? Personally I'm leaving it under the seat/ secure in the knowledge that I will not misplace it < or forget what hidyhole I stashed it . Plus I think obsessing to much about the whole low oil, issue is over rated.

NO NO just kidding, but the BC really will let you know when your down just a couple of hundred cc which I was after 1400 miles. Thanks for all the feedback.

Along these same lines....I have a question for the experienced R1200RT owners. I have an 06 RT with 3100 miles now and have not had to top off the oil yet. I understand from reading posts that when the bike is new (has lower mileage etc), that it will use oil and must be topped off. Am I not at the use level yet to require doing it? Just wondering. Firt BMW so curious. I keep a quart handy on advice of my BMW dealer. Thanks.

There seems to be a lot of variability in R12T oil consumption. Mine has never used much oil, though I have occasionally added an ounce or 2 to keep the BC from displaying the <!> mark. Just keep an eye on the sight glass, and add a little if needed to keep the level at or above the center red mark (though the level is really OK as long as it is in the circle).

Jay

+1 what Jay said. I don't think there's a clear concensus that all the R12's use oil when new. Some do some don't. Mine has used just under a quart in the first 8300 miles. Just keep an eye on it and go. thumbsup.gif

Don't believe the BC about oil level. use the oil level sight glass window. since this is your first BMW be aware of the small idiosyncrasy with the oil cooler - oil may stay up there and give you a false low level in the sight glass.

proper procedure is to check the oil level warm (nothing to do with bulk modulus of warm oil or warm engine case thermal expansion volume changes) to ensure oil drains down out of the oil cooler. ride the bike until fully warmed up i.e. the oil cooler is hot. park the bike on level ground and wait 10 minutes then check the sight glass. Oil level should be between the centre dot and top ring.

i've heard of guys topping up oil everytime the BC flashes the level warning and complaining to the shop the bike is using excessive oil - shop drains the oil and finds 2 litre more than required. i've seen guys top up after a short ride only to find it overfull later (oil was hung up in the cooler) and oil puked up into the air box. this happed to me after a long (fast/hot/hard) ride - i stopped 15 minutes for motel check in then rode to/from gas station. back at the motel i checked the oil and topped up - what i didn't realize is the short stop and short ride pushed oil back up into the cooler and left it there, even though the bike was warm. end of next day i checked oil after 1st stop and found it overfull.

go ye forth and ride. even with the oil level scraping the bottom of the sight glass the bike will run forever.

thank you for the info about the oil cooler and waiting before adding oil to allow time for the oil to drain back to the sump. That kind of info is VERY helpful to first time HEX owners.<like me> thumbsup.gif

Some R12's use more oil than others. Part has to do with the bike, and part has to do with how you ride. Lots of engine braking from high RPM's tends to use more oil, as does high speeds. Some R12's just use more naturally. My 12GS used a quart per thousand, and my GF's 12ST used a quart in 3 thousand miles.

As for checking it, I have said this before, and I still stand by it. I check the bike warm, on the SIDESTAND ONLY, and if the sight glass is full, I ride, if it is showing any level other than full, I add 8 oz and ride, and check it next stop.

Since the difference between a full and empty sight glass is about 8 oz, and since I know the bike is only half a quart low when the level is showing on the sight glass at just less than fell, on the sidestand, I know I am always within 8 ounces of full.

I have been doing this for about 70K miles on three bikes so far with no issues.

Jim cool.gif

PS At 20 K miles my GS is down to 1 quart per 6K miles now.

Archived