IGNORED

Tech Daze - Arnold, CA

R4ND0M_AX3

Nice meeting all of you. Special thanks to Charlie for hosting. Nice place ya got there.

Let's see....now I have to get a seat from Rich's, shocks from wilbers, levers from Wunderlich. The wife will not be too happy. crazy.gif

Now with the pics.

Phil started off with the Wunderlich lever swap.

techdaze_arnold_060909_00.jpg

Insert peg "A" into slot "B"

techdaze_arnold_060909_01.jpg

techdaze_arnold_060909_02.jpg

Matt's bike with a very comfy seat.

techdaze_arnold_060909_03.jpg

Jamie comparing the spark plug remover tool included with the tool kit to the kick ass metal one. Stock = boo.

techdaze_arnold_060909_04.jpg

techdaze_arnold_060909_05.jpg

techdaze_arnold_060909_06.jpg

Matt checking his plugs.

techdaze_arnold_060909_07.jpg

Phil making a mess of the place.

techdaze_arnold_060909_08.jpg

Phil now disgusted with the mess he's made.

techdaze_arnold_060909_09.jpg

Setting TDC sans BMW tools.

techdaze_arnold_060909_10.jpg

Checking Valves

techdaze_arnold_060909_11.jpg

Quick and dirty panoramic.

techdaze_arnold_060909_pano.jpg

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! What an unbelieveable weekend!

Jamie and I just got home so this will be our check in.

Charlie and Kathie: Jamie and I bow before your feet and praise your amazing hosting of a great event!!!! Your place is truly a "slice of heaven!" There are not enough words to express to you how very grateful we are for your hospitality, openness, friendship, and kindness. Our bellies are full, our eyes are wet (from all the darn jokes and comedy flying around that place), our minds are at peace. Thank you.

Oh, and glad your toilet was in working order after Tech Daze, Part Deux!!! grin.gif

GJames: Sorry we weren't able to hang out with you more but I am glad we were all there to help remedy your final drive fluid overflow! A sure disaster was avoided, I am sure!!!

Richard and Cheryl: There is a future of pranks, laughter and brotherhood ahead. Looking forward to it!

Jamie and Leslie: Words have left us! We really can say no more than this. It is our hope you felt the way we did about something very special to us about you as individuals, a couple, friends, brothers, sisters, and people who we will do life together with; LOTS of life!

Dan and Kathleen: I don't think your wife likes me!!!! grin.gif I am sure she will get over it though. Just let me know what information you need about where to spend your hard earned money!!!!!! wink.gif As for the frustration over my making a mess, thanks for making it public, now my therapy is set back about three weeks! eek.gif Oh, and PM me so we can swap info as Jamie really wants to get together with Kathleen. Something about making fun of you and I!!! confused.gif

Matt: It was a pleasure. Glad your 6k was uneventful, informative, and . . . . GOOD GOD man, wash that bike! Sorry we missed your leaving this morning! Hope your ride home was safe.

Alan, Rich, Steve, Mike, and everyone else I am forgetting to mention, thanks and I tip my hat to you.

To each and every one of you, I, no, WE want you to know that . . . that . . . that . . .

there is an APB out for the individual who shall not be named, RICHARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, who placed their perfect set of paw prints on BOTH my mirrors!! Oh, BTW, they are so perfect that we stopped by the local LEO shop and dropped them off for FBI review! There is no doubt in Jamie's and my minds that YOU will be caught and there will be a positive match made!!! You have been warned.

As for the serious wrenching that actually occurred, I can report that all four of my intake valves were VERY tight!!! After adjustment of them and the exhaust valves, I can safely state that the bike is running smoother than she was before the adjustment!!! No adjustment made from the TB synch. so the valves had a significant impact on the smoothness for sure.

To each of you; Eddie Izzard, Kathy Griffin, South Park, puppy valium, Monty Python, Princess Bride, etc. freaks, along with the many others, too many to list all, that caused Jamie and I to have side and jaw pain today, Thank You. You are, each and every one of you, our friends.

Bob and Cathy: Thanks for a wonderful ride to the event. Murphy's Grade Road still stands out as a favorite part of the ride. Sorry we were a bit tardy getting to the Dead Fly. I know we missed out on some quality time together!

Thanks for the great weekend! We can not wait to do it again!

Well, I'll use this as my check-in too.

I just got back, and the ride was un-eventful (other than a nice LEO flashing his lights, so I pulled over, and then he flipped a U-turn and pulled someone else over... whew). So, I can say this: Hwy 50 is INDEED patrolled. smile.gif

I second Phil's note to Charlie and Kathie. It was an absolutely amazing event. Since it was my first bmwst event, I can't see how one could actually beat this one. Not only are the Proctor's amazingly hospitable, but excellent at planning ahead too. On those rare occasions where Charlie didn't anticipate your need and have the tool/part you needed in hand, it was only seconds away in the garage... And Kathie is an incredible cook. Not only did she accomodate all of our culinary needs and tastes, but she made it look easy. Thank you both for putting on a wonderful Tech Daze.

Phil, you don't know how tempted (unless Richard told you) I was to swap windshields with you this morning. lmao.gif I might have done it at Torrey, but I figure my windshield/bike will never get that dirty again, so what would be the point? I'm glad I got to meet your wonderful wife Jamie and "commiserate" with her. smile.gif

And Dan, I'm gonna have to get some more stuff to keep up with you and Phil on the farkle front... I'll PM you later about the mounts etc. (Yeah, I forgot already)

And to those of you who haven't met Jamie and Leslie (I hadn't prior to this weekend), you're missing out. Jamie is a great teacher, while Leslie is a hug just waiting to happen (literally or figuratively). Both are great friends and add so much to this community. Thank you both.

It was sooooo very nice to meet people on this board to put a name and face with the screen name. Thank you all (obviously Phil's better with names than I am, so I'll just say "+1" to all the other comments he made). I obviously had a wonderful time.

A couple of notes:

I'm so glad I changed the oil in the final drive. That oil looked HORRIBLE - in addition to all the metal on the magnetic sensor/plug. So, to all you '05-'06 hex-head owners: Lifetime-lube doesn't quite mean what you think...

Um, no one mentioned to me that CA-4 turns into a mountain goat trail that happens to be paved. MAN that was a technical ride for a state highway. Whew.

I will never look at a bungie the same way again.

Headers can be hot at times... who knew?

I still never got to try any of the popcorn - I continually had oil/grease on my hands. bncry.gif

And yes, I did laugh more than I have in a while.

I would have never had the courage to do any of that on my own, so I sincerely appreciate everyone who helped me out, and provided tools, advice, food, etc. I am a much better person (not that that was difficult to accomplish lmao.gif) for the experience.

Thank you all, and I look forward to seeing many of you at Torrey.

Whoa!

In that panorarama it looks like Matt lost his head and did the final drive fluid on the "lifetime" system! lmao.gif

The irony is that that is what I would have looked like had I attempted the final drive oil change on my own - beside myself and without my head. smile.gif

And those pictures do NOT do my bike justice. It's MUCH dirtier than it appears. dopeslap.gif

...And Dan, I'm gonna have to get some more stuff to keep up with you and Phil on the farkle front... I'll PM you later about the mounts etc. (Yeah, I forgot already)

www.techmounts.com

or under the z-technik brand (same thing)

21007 or Z6131

Um, no one mentioned to me that CA-4 turns into a mountain goat trail that happens to be paved. MAN that was a technical ride for a state highway. Whew.

Oh Oh, I was going to mention it on Sunday morning but you were packed and gone before I got to the coffee pot. blush.gif

I'm happy that you got home safely, Matt. We enjoyed your company and invite you back anytime.

Well, Jamie & Leslie were the last to leave and they took off about an hour ago on a long journey which should get them home tonight. They will be travelling the mountain goat trail as well. It's lonely now that everyone is gone.

We had a great time and it could not have happened without such a wonderful group of people.

We're heading home ourselves in a few minutes so I will check back in to post appropriate thanks and pictures. Man that was a fun week-end. We're gonna have to do it again. thumbsup.gif

there is an APB out for the individual who shall not be named, RICHARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, who placed their perfect set of paw prints on BOTH my mirrors!! Oh, BTW, they are so perfect that we stopped by the local LEO shop and dropped them off for FBI review! There is no doubt in Jamie's and my minds that YOU will be caught and there will be a positive match made!!! You have been warned.

I have NO idea what you are talking about!

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

I got home about 17:30 yesterday with little hassle.

The weekend was exactly as I suspected: Incredible fun with the most incredible people on the earth!!! I knew when Charlie and Kathie were hosting, it would be amazing.

Thanks to everyone who came so much for everything!!!!

(Except you Phil, I'll deal with you later...)

p.s. Wait until Gleno figures out what he missed!!!

Hey Carlie, Hey NorCal Beemkateers,

First, a gigantic thank you to Charlie and his wife (sorry, I was inandout too fast to meet her! eek.gif :dopeslap) for the time, generosity and effort of hosting such a great Tech Daze Escape Weekend event for us.

Second, thanks to Leslie for fixing my password problem during the webtech daze phase and allowing me to re-join this twisted group of funsters.

Third, thanks to the entire (present) northern California (and Utah) contingent for making a Dodger fan feel so welcome. It's a rare and expansive gesture and I'm looking forward to ridin' round with most of you'all after the Series.

Fourth, thanks to all the Richards, Richs and Ricks for making it easy to remember everyones names and sorry to Charlie, Dan, Jamie, Matt, Tom and everyone else I called Rich.

Fifth, thanks to Jamie for being the man. Can you imagine what trouble Matt woulda been in heading home without him?

Six, thanks to everyone for everything I didn't mention, like Richard hooking up my Autocom, Alan obsessing about earthquake-proofing his center stand and all the other retentive little details we're so rightfully known for in the larger riding community.

And lastly (this is where the teleprompter is telling the Emmy winner "CUT, GET OFF THE STAGE NOW DUDE!"), thanks to Leslie and Jamie for showing the love they have for this community by traveling 18 hours on some really shitty roads to support and foster the special bonds that exist within the BWMST orbit. You guys rock! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Peace Out.

PS: To all my SoCal friends: This place is great...co'mon up sometime for some GREAT riding...you too Mr. Leikam!

Fourth, thanks to all the Richards, Richs and Ricks for making it easy to remember everyones names and sorry to Charlie, Dan, Jamie, Matt, Tom and everyone else I called Rich.
No problem... considering that's the name I have written on my seat. lmao.gif

Fifth, thanks to Jamie for being the man. Can you imagine what trouble Matt woulda been in heading home without him?
+1 from me. But you're kidding - right? I wouldn't have had any trouble at all. I either would have shipped the bike home and then hitch-hiked or I never would have started. Regardless, the bike woulda been at the dealer in the near future getting its 6k done - and fixing whatever other damage I'd done to it attempting to fix it myself. dopeslap.gif

Reminds me of the old photography adage:

A butter knife is a useful tool for making an adjustment on your camera that a camera store will charge $10 for.

*Camera stores will charge $75 to repair a camera that has been adjusted with a butter knife.

Third, thanks to the entire (present) northern California (and Utah) contingent for making a Dodger fan feel so welcome.

Rich,

Very nice meeting you, even with that...er, 'character' flaw. smirk.gif Your bike's in amazingly good condition. Nice color, too thumbsup.gif

It's a rare and expansive gesture and I'm looking forward to ridin' round with most of you'all after the Series.

Headed to New York, are ya? smirk.gif No point in heading to Boston. eek.gif

Bob

I have NO idea what you are talking about!
Hey, wait, didn't you steal that avatar from someone over on another board? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Now that is just funny!!!

under breath:(Just what this place needs, another comedian!!!)

Seriously though, great meeting you!!!

Thanks to all who attended Arnold TD 1. Kathie and I had a great time hosting and look forward to next year. Sunday was an interesting part of the package, which included training on toilet repairs, a ride up to Lake Alpine, ending with a birthday party for our neighbor Diane.

We were pretty lonely afer Jamie and Leslie departed Monday morning, THEN we ran into Cali Kid (Rick) in Angels Camp at the Starbucks. thumbsup.gif

OK, below are pictures which are not well annotated because of time constraints.

We had guests on Friday evening but started working on Saturday morning.

Picture%20036.jpg

Picture%20037.jpg

Picture%20038.jpg

Alan Chan and Stephen (Cali Kid's friend from Avery)

Picture%20041.jpg

Picture%20042.jpg

Lots of girls clap.gif

Picture%20043.jpg

Picture%20044.jpg

bakerzdosen and KMB_365 at work

Picture%20046.jpg

rrich, R4ND0M_AX3, and rgl

Picture%20047.jpg

Picture%20050.jpg

Picture%20051.jpg

Picture%20052.jpg

Picture%20053.jpg

Picture%20055.jpg

The NEIGHBOR came over for a visit and ate a lot of popcorn. grin.gif

Picture%20056.jpg

Picture%20057.jpg

Sunday was an interesting tech daze. Kathie taught Leslie how to be still.

Picture%20060.jpg

Bathroom Tech Daze included Firefighters teaching toilet repairs. They were fast too! thumbsup.gif

Picture%20061.jpg

Picture%20062.jpg

Picture%20065.jpg

Picture%20066.jpg

A Job Well Done.

Picture%20071.jpg

Jamie (wife of 1bmwfan) enjoyed the deck while the haircutting and toilet training were happening.

Picture%20068.jpg

A Sunday Ride up to Lake Alpine. Kathie and I rode sweep in the car while Cali Kid, KMG_365, and Les_is_more scouted the area.

Picture%20077.jpg

Picture%20078.jpg

Picture%20083.jpg

Picture%20085.jpg

THEN everyone was GONE except Leslie and Jamie. So we invited the neighbors for a birthday party. Fun was had by all.

Picture%20086.jpg

Picture%20087.jpg

Picture%20088.jpg

Hope to see more of you there next year. thumbsup.gif

Hi Charlie & Kathie thank you for hosting on Tech Daze, so

gladed to be there, such a beautiful place you got,lot of fun, lot of food, only wish I can stay longer, sorry for leaving so soon, I am already looking forward to the next visit. Thanks wave.gif

Well here I am!! clap.gif

I want to thank all of you for such a FANTASTIC weekend. clap.gif Phil (1bmwfan) and I (2bmwfan) got home and I went straight to the office to get on the "chat room" to sign myself up. grin.gif

I have a "new member intro" in the Motorcycle Talk and I have been making friends there too. Again, thanks to all!! thumbsup.gif

Hey Richard, can you believe that 2bmwfan woman!? Check out her avatar. As I recall it, she was the puppy valium pusher, wasn't she????? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

"Just sleep right there little doggy!!" dopeslap.gifwink.gif

Oh, BTW, love you honey!! Hee, Hee!

mmmm kay, she DOES rock!!!

When I went up to say hi, she looked me straight in the eye as she CRUSHED my hand!!! bncry.gifgrin.gif

You're one lucky guy Phil. And Jamie, without anyone gettin' happy on me, you're one lucky girl.

Rock on.

thumbsup.gif

I would agree, mmm kay.

Sorry, didn't mean to ruff you up. I am a believer in the "firm" hand shake. grin.gif Just can't stand the dead hand....kinda creepy, ya know! crazy.gif

Attendees:

I'd just like to point out I spent probably 1.5 hours cleaning the bike tonight. The front crossbar of the headers even came pretty much clean... Now if I only knew of a place to get stuff to care for chrome on a bike... hmmmmm eek.gif [/sarcasm]

I even took off the windshield (if you think this thing is ugly WITH the windshield... smile.gif ) and got the bugs out of the engine fins. It's not up to 1bmwfan standards (aka, the battery is still dirty, I probably missed a tar spot or two and I didn't wax the inside of the tupperware), but I did use a toothbrush and it is MUCH better.

So, now that there are exactly 5 photos of my license plate on this page, I should probably ask "why do some people blur out their plates when posting them"? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

It's good to see Leslie learned something too. She was right - that was a LOT to cut off.

Wish I could have hung around for the ride (though I did it myself earlier), but not so much on the "toilet daze". It wasn't me, PROMISE! wave.gif

OK, so I was the last straggler. But at least there was a wrench used on something besides a toilet on Sunday. I made it home without a hitch last night, and not able to get online to thank everyone for pitching in to get me cleaned up and leveled down to right amount of final drive fluid. Rationalization - that oil would never have appeared if the Tech Day wasn't in such an inviting place that makes the long way around the only route to take.

Thanks again for all the help. Thanks Jamie for teaching me the correct level technique too. Hopefully that won't happen again.

George

George, glad you had a safe ride home. It was a pleasure making your acquaintance and look forward to the next time.

Jamie and Leslie were taking the long way home through the mountain passes, etc.

TODAY was the 343 Rememberance ride, celebrating the fallen firefighters of 911. Jamie and Leslie were making it part of their ride home. I hope they had a good ride.

TODAY was the 343 Rememberance ride, celebrating the fallen firefighters of 911. Jamie and Leslie were making it part of their ride home. I hope they had a good ride.

As a firefighter, I would have loved to have been with a fellow firefighter (Jamie) to share. Instead, I was in my class 'A' dress uniform at city hall as part of the honorguard for our 9/11 ceremony. Had them in my thoughts, therefore, I was with them!!

I am officially missing everyone! Too much fun!

A side note: After opening and using an oil container, do NOT "reseal" it, pack it back into your luggage/side cases and drive home! Yep, it leaked! My side bag smells like gear oil! eek.gifdopeslap.gif

I realize I made the statement several times that I love the smell of gear oil, but, that is taking it a bit too far!! Oh well, got the 'Shout' and out it came. thumbsup.gif

A side note: After opening and using an oil container, do NOT "reseal" it, pack it back into your luggage/side cases and drive home! Yep, it leaked! My side bag smells like gear oil! eek.gifdopeslap.gif

I realize I made the statement several times that I love the smell of gear oil, but, that is taking it a bit too far!! Oh well, got the 'Shout' and out it came. thumbsup.gif

OH MAN, I am SOOOOO sorry about that. I feel terrible. blush.gif Thank you again for that, but I REALLY feel bad now. We laugh about soiling the exterior of your bike, but in the bag is awful...

Again, I am sorry. I definitely owe you a drink or something at Torrey. At the very least.

Home at 01:00 this morning after 17 hours and ~760 miles--over half of which were twisty! We left Arnold around 08:00 and crossed the Pacific Crest Trail three times. We're BEAT and going to bed.

I don't know where to start in my thanks to Charlie and Kathie for their AMAZING hospitality and generosity. And in my present muddled state I can't begin to thank everyone else adequately either. I'm going to bed and (after sleeping-in tomorrow! tongue.gif ) I'll try to put up a proper check-in and thanks.

You guys and gals are just the greatest! thumbsup.gif

Careful Rich,

Complimenting Phil will get you kissed for an extremly uncomfortable and long duration by him.

DAMHIK

Charlie and Kathie, that was first class.

Thanx for letting me attend even though I have gone to the dark side (Honda) grin.gif

It was really great to see old acquaintances and make some new ones.

Bob should adapt his popcorn maker to run on a BMW plug, and become the offical supplier to all tek-daze.

Actually, if you are really hungry you can ride along behind Richard's 1200GT, I hear it shoots popcorn out it's tail, or was that Richard's tail lmao.gif

In any event food is always on my mind so here is one of our lovely hostess and lunch.

741946-hostess.jpg

See some of you in Sac thumbsup.gif

741946-hostess.jpg.336de591864f6a71043ce180bba37857.jpg

One more Pic of our host. Charlie had all these tek-daze manuals made up and bound. A regular smorgasborg of info.

741949-manuals.jpg

sorry for the second post, I need a new server for image hosting eek.gif

741949-manuals.jpg.95d970d940e293351febd58d8dac0459.jpg

Careful Rich,

Complimenting Phil will get you kissed for an extremly uncomfortable and long duration by him.

DAMHIK

Whatever do you mean, Richard??!! grin.gif

95044508-M.jpg

(You seem to actually be enjoying it!! eek.gifdopeslap.gifgrin.gif )

Archived