IGNORED

ERC Course

timmr

I'm scheduled to take the Experienced Rider Course in a couple of weeks and don't want to embarass myself. blush.gif I plan on some parking lot time prior to the class.

Can anyone give me the scoop on the class so I'll know what to work on.

Thx.

If you have taken the BRC, and can remember day twos exerices, will be the same. Off set cone weave, braking, braking in curve, the u-turn box and couple more. You will do a couple of exericse and depending how the school does it, either go in the classroom and do classroom for a few minutes and then go back outside. I have taught where the classroom part is held outside. You will enjoy it and should learn something.

If you want to practice the tight turns they different methods in doing this. I "new" BMW motor cop officer, I teach to with clutch all the way out. Do not touch the clutch the RTP will idle through the whole course. Once they get the hang, I will tell they can tap the rear brake to slow, just slightly, not to much because you could stall it. Another tip I tell them is, if you are going to use the clutch to use it from the top side. Clutch all the way out, a slightly squeeze in where you can feel the reduction for speed, just a hair. Never, never slip the clutch, yes I know that we do this on take offs, but a lot slipping of the clutch will reduce the wear on an RTP. My saying a motor school is "No brakes, No clutch".

You can cut some tennis balls in half, you get those at your public tennis courts, which make great cones. No harm when you ride over them. Cone weave is between 10 to 12 feet apart. Use about 9 tennis balls. If you move every other on out about 15 feet you have an offset cone weave. You can then set up a circle about 26 feet wide in diameter and work your way in to about 20 feet. Motor cops do it with 18 feet just give an idea.

Good luck and have fun.

Go to this web site and you can find some exericse that motor cops use, some are hard some are easy. http://www.motorcops.com/police_motorcycle_skills_competitions.asp

If you have taken the BRC, and can remember day twos exerices, will be the same. Off set cone weave, braking, braking in curve, the u-turn box and couple more. You will do a couple of exericse and depending how the school does it, either go in the classroom and do classroom for a few minutes and then go back outside. I have taught where the classroom part is held outside. You will enjoy it and should learn something.

Motorman's right, you will enjoy it. More informal than the BRC and your on your own (familiar) machine.

In addition to U-turns, you may want to practice a straight line weave (20'-30' spacing) with one hand. That's in an exercise and can be intimidating with a large bike if you've never done it.

You'll like the last exercise with it's multiple curves. Lots of fun!

Good luck!

John (motorman) actually taught the ERC course when I took it. I had already been to Reg Pridemore's CLASS school but still thought the ERC was time well spent. You don't have to worry about embarressing yourself they will get you through just fine.

I actually came out of it feeling good about skills my last year of riding taught me. A lot of emergency braking, trying not to lock 'em up. Not a problem with ABS. I was very nervous about all the slow speed manuevering, but the GS was like it was made for this. Another rider from here rode it on an RT with no problems. The only ones who had problems with lockups, tight stuff...OK, everything were the folks on massive twins. Go figure. You'll do fine and feel good about yourself after. Oh, it was just under the temperature of the surface of the sun when I took it so bring sunscreen and a Camelbak if you have one and think you'll need it.

Echoing the others, it's a lot like the BRC second day, but with tighter tolerances, a bit faster speeds, a smaller box, and a couple new exercises (such as the mentioned one-handed weave). And of course it's on your own bike. The really big difference.

I also was nervous about it when I did it on our R1150RT, but I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I really COULD figure-8 it in a box!

(And of course on a RT you fail the rear wheel slide exercises. grin.gif)

Archived