IGNORED

88 K75 S - any issues?

DMH

Possibly looking at a K 75 S with only 10,000 miles on it - any mechanical trouble spots that may be more obvious to K bike aficiandos? thanks ahead of time....1988 vintage...

Check ALL the rubber in and around the air box and the throttle bodies. These early L-Jetronic bikes could NOT tolerate any air leaks.

With only 10K the final drive splines should be like new but they need greased with each rear tire change or at least with every other tire change.

If it sat for any length of time with old fuel in it, the fuel pump 'can' seize but if it runs good now, it's probably OK.

The coolant overflow hoses can crack and the overflow level sensing tube was replaced with a new improved style.

Get the service history if you can.

Mick

Ditto, also check the seams around the bottom of the fuel tank. It's made out of aluminum and if it's been sitting around all these years it may have accumulated some moisture.

If you find paint peeling or bubbling around the tank seams this may be corrosion and the tank with need to be resealed.

Great find though!

wave.gif

'05 R1150RT

'92 K75s

The fan motor may be seized. It's difficult to get the fan to come on under normal conditions, but poke a stick at it to make sure it will actually turn. Electrical failure is rare, but a jammed fan will blow the fuse -- ISTR that there are a couple of crtical-ish circuits on the same fuse, which can be inconvenient in the middle of nowhere.

After running for the first few times, check for leaks around the water & oil pump (one pump does both) at the front of the engine. It has a ceramic seal, which can be distressed by starting from a dry condition.

Possibly looking at a K 75 S with only 10,000 miles on it - any mechanical trouble spots that may be more obvious to K bike aficiandos? thanks ahead of time....1988 vintage...

they're aweful.. you wouldn't want one.

don't even think about getting it.. noisy, don't handle well, don't know why BMW would ever make a 3 cylinder bike....

PM me the phone# of the guy selling it and I'll make sure you don't have to think about getting it...

grin.gifgrin.gifcool.gif

seriously, i've had a handfull of k75's.. best running bike i've ever ridden or seen.. they sound like a small turbine. amazingly smooth.

Archived