IGNORED

K bike owner thinking of buying an R1150RT

k12Marine

any help on what to look for when buying a R-bike. Want a bit more comfort for two up riding.Don't know if I want the 1200 really like the older style.

ShovelStrokeEd

Assuming from your handle that you currently have a K12RS or GT, you will miss the power, but not much. If you have a newer K, you will miss the power alot.

Riding position is much more relaxed and yes, your pillion will probably be happier. The RT is probably a hotter ride as not as much air makes its way to the rider.

A good transition into boxerdom might be an 1100 or 1150 RS. Same seats as the RT but, with the more dimunative fairing, and lower bars, it offers, IMHO, a better riding position. I think weather protection on a motorcycle is a silly concept anyway but, not all will agree.

Yes, the R-RS is a very nice bike, and I believe the pillion seat is even a bit longer than that of the RT. However, on the RS, the rider will be leaning forward due to the lower bars, and the pillion will be upright. If this "separation" is no big deal, then try to find an RS.

I'd suggest getting a couple of test rides and everyone will suggest what suits them and that may not suit you smile.gif

For example: My wife helped me choose our R1150RT over the R1200RT as she liked the seating position better and we ride 2 up a fair bit.

John

I owned a 93 K1100RS for 11 yrs. and really loved the bike once I added seat, shock, etc. In 04 I had an accident and the bike is now in the boneyard. A couple of years before the accident I rode a buddies RT and really liked the upright seating position, no dive in the front end, and more protection from the weather. I was initially intent on getting another K bike. My good buddy laughs at me now as he watched me totally talk myself into an 04 R1150RT. I owned the bike for 18 months but only actally rode it for 6 months. I rode it back from Tx. where I bought it. In Dec. '05 I test rode a used 05 RT that was brand new in my mind (only 4K miles ). After about 10 turns that was it. SOLD!! We went straight to the bank and made the transfer. IMHO I would not even bother with the earlier models. The 05/06 models are lighter, more ponies, and cruise control and heated seats are simply splendid. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the 04 but when I test rode the 05 it was like driving a sports car vs. a station wagon. If you can afford a used 05/06 find one with low mileage, save some significant bucks ($14-$16K), and enjoy the hell out of it. I guarantee you will not be sorry.

Here are a couple of additional points about the hexhead RT vs. the Oilhead RT. BMW fixed some things a lot of RT owners did not like about the older RT's. BMW added cruise control. It is absolutely fantastic on the freeway or the open road. In my opinion it is worth its weight in gold. No more wrist fatigue. You can now open and close the saddle bags without having to lock the things each and every time. You can finally get a full face helmet in the bags and also in the topcase. Also the increase in fuel capacity is huge. Just my .02

Six months ago, I made the move from a K1200GT to the R1200ST. I have not regreted the decision (I miss the K12GT's cruise control -- c'est la vie). On paper, the power-to-weight ratio of the R12ST was essentially the same as the K12GT; however, the "feel" of the power delivery is quite different. Some here may differ with me wink.gif, but I do not think the R12ST has the "snap" that the K12GT delivered. That said, the power has certainly been more than adequate for my sport riding needs. Indeed, I would argue that I have actually been able to ride faster and smoother at times becuase of the power delivery of the R motor. The R12ST flicks into turns much easier than the K12GT. The lighter weight of the R12ST was one of the big reasons that I made the change after riding K12's for the past few years. The K and R are both great motors. Try to take an R bike (whatever model interests you) out for a test ride so you can determine whether it is suited to your riding style and needs. I recommend trying one of the newer R1200 motors; they have been improved from their older 1100/1150 versions.

Hi There, I'm new to this so here go......

I've been riding GS's for the last 3-4 years but need a change. I took the R1200ST for a spin over the weekend and was VERY happy with all except the amount of buffeting that I got above 160km/h(100mph)........I started out with the screen in the lowest pos. and then moved it to the highest...even worse......any ideas? Is this the right bike to go for or do you have any other suggestions?

thanx

I had a loaner ST from Long Beach BMW for about 3 or 4 days. I noticed the buffeting you speak about and was not happy with it either. In addition, I rode the bike in the mountains of L.A. (Angeles Crest) for about 200 miles and by the time I got home my legs and hips were hurting due to the riding position. I am 5'7" and weight 180 lbs so I am not a big guy. If you want comfort definitely go for the RT. The ST just does not get it. Fun in the twisties but not for touring. I was one happy camper to get my RT back from the shop.

Hi Keith, thanx for the info. clap.gif

Most of my trips are short one's though, typicaly around 200km(125miles) with a group of guys riding anything from Blackbirds, R1's, Harleys etc. So I want to be able to enjoy the ride BUT be comfy as well. Lots of twisties etc with/without my wife on the back........and then also the odd weekend trip. I don't see alot of ST's on the road het in ZA at the moment but the dealers asures me that sales are picking up

One very positive thing I can say about the ST is that when you click on the high beam it lights the whole area in front of you better than any high beam I have ever seen on a bike including my RT. The service manager at Long Beach BMW mentioned this to me as I was leaving. The next day I was heading south on the 605 and clicked it on and could not believe how far I was seeing down the carpool lane. Fantastic!

Archived