IGNORED

Tire pressures very different for RT-P vs. RT?

Baba_ORiley

I did a Search on this, but couldn't find anything definitive. I've got two different official sources recommending different things. The regular BMW owner's manual that came with the 1999 R1100RT bikes specifies these tire pressures:

Solo:

Front 31 psi, Rear 36 psi

With passenger & luggage:

Front 36 psi, Rear 41 psi

I've got a '99 RT-P and inside the radio box lid theres an official sticker for the CHP version of the bike that states:

Front 37 psi, Rear 42 psi

Those are higher tire pressures than for a fully loaded civilian RT carrying both a passenger and luggage! I don't think there's any way all the law enforcement equipment on the authority bike weighed more than a typical passenger and luggage on a regular RT. Are the higher CHP recommended pressures due to weight or to improve handling? Or maybe both?

I realize asking tire pressure questions is like querying people about which oil to use, but for solo riding my RT-P with all the law enforcement items removed, (including the 2nd battery), and wearing the CHP-specified Dunlop Sportmax tires, can my fellow RT-P riders tell me what they've found as the best tires pressures in their experience? Thanks.

Those are higher tire pressures than for a fully loaded civilian RT carrying both a passenger and luggage! I don't think there's any way all the law enforcement equipment on the authority bike weighed more than a typical passenger and luggage on a regular RT. Are the higher CHP recommended pressures due to weight or to improve handling? Or maybe both?

I realize asking tire pressure questions is like querying people about which oil to use, but for solo riding my RT-P with all the law enforcement items removed, (including the 2nd battery), and wearing the CHP-specified Dunlop Sportmax tires, can my fellow RT-P riders tell me what they've found as the best tires pressures in their experience? Thanks.

40 front 42 rear loaded, 38 front 40 rear one-up. It makes the tires last longer and protects the rim from pothole dents.

Mick

The higher tire pressure most likely is used for many reasons because of the different role the RT-P must play compared to the std RT.. (1) to handle the weight of all the extra equipment, second battery, radio ,lighting, sirens, front and rear crash bars but as you point out this really can’t be heaver than adding a passenger to a standard RT. (2)because the bikes may have to go over curbs and potholes in a chase the higher pressure should help to keep the wheels from getting bent ,( this would be a more likely reason).(3)Because the RT-P may have to run at a high rate of speed for some time in a chase the higher pressure could keep the tire cooler? Prevent blowouts? (4) The higher pressure may make the bike quicker to respond in turning .(5)The higher pressure should create less rolling resistance and deliver slightly better fuel mileage.(6) The higher pressure could make the tires last longer?

I have owned A 2000 R1100RT-P for just over a year and a half now and ten thousand miles and I have used the RT-P higher air pressures of 37/42 psi. Compared to my Dad’s 1998 R1100RT with the same type tires at 32/36 psi who at many times rides with me. I find I get better tire mileage with less front tire cupping. But when we switched cycles he thought my bike reacted quicker to turns and I thought his rode much smother over rough pavement, thou this could be just suspension set up differently, just my two cent!.

thumbsup.gif

.... I have owned A 2000 R1100RT-P for just over a year and a half now and ten thousand miles and I have used the RT-P higher air pressures of 37/42 psi. Compared to my Dad’s 1998 R1100RT with the same type tires at 32/36 psi who at many times rides with me. I find I get better tire mileage with less front tire cupping. But when we switched cycles he thought my bike reacted quicker to turns and I thought his rode much smother over rough pavement, thou this could be just suspension set up differently, just my two cent!.

thumbsup.gif

Thanks. I pumped my tires up to CHP specs before a 100 mile ride this morning. Since I'm really new to the bike I didn't feel any difference from the civilian solo tire pressure specs, but it sure didn't feel bad or over-inflated either.

If the CHP pressures work for you and others, I'll follow them for my use.

I check mine daily, as long as both front and rear are somewhere between 35 and 40, I'm good to go.

I currently have 15,000 mi on a front D205 and the left side wear bars are just starting to appear.

Archived