IGNORED

1200RT brake squeal noise

nerdybiker

I just had the banjo bolt recall performed and agree with others when I say the brakes operate more smoothly now... not so grabby. Something is different, though. Now I have a slow speed subtle squeal coming from the front brake that seems to modulate with the speed of the wheel. If a rotor's warped, there is no change in feel, even at slow speeds, just the noise.

Has anyone experienced this? Do I have a warped rotor? This seems to have evolved after the banjo bolt install, which to me seems an impossible cause for such a noise. What do you think, boxer pilots? eek.gif

If you don't feel any pulsing or vibration from the brakes then its unlikely the rotors are warped.

My brakes have been a bit noisy since I got the bike. On mine it only happens the last few feet of travel when I am coming to stop. It never happens under hard braking. Brake squeal is a pretty common thing on all vehicles. I had the banjo bolt update on mine and it had no impact on the squeal. I would agree the brakes seem a bit smoother though.

I would just try cleaning the rotors really well with brake cleaner and a rag. They may just be dusty. That happened on my meanstreak, had the wheels off for new tires and the bike sat like that for over a week and we had lots of dust from construction in the neighborhood. Remounted the wheels and my brakes that had never squealed before were now very noisy. Cleaned the rotors and they were quiet again.

On the R1200GS there is an updated set of washers for the front rotors to correct the squeal issue. (And it does.) Not sure if they are applicable to the R1200RT or not, but it might be worth checking.

Archived