IGNORED

Broken Headlamp Glass - Poll

Albert

Regardless of model, have you ever had your headlamp glass break?  

573 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Joe Frickin' Friday

mine developed a small crack (about 1/2" long) near the bottom of the lens. That was about 80K miles ago; I haven't bothered to replace it.

I know I coulda prevented it with one of those Aeroflow protectors (or some other), but those things, to my eye, just look hideous.

No, but I've replaced the plastic headlight protector when it took a rock and cracked. That was a lot cheaper than replacing the headlight.

Never broken, but I've had some sort of headlight protection on my last couple of bikes.

I was planning to put one of the protective clear films on my latest BMW. However, the owner's manual for my R12ST seems to indicate that you can't put anything with an adhesive backing on the headlight cover. Does anyone here have a solution?

I saw a MI rider with one of those applied headlight savers on his R1200RT at Finger Lakes last weekend. He said he put it on last October at the RA in Shelbyville, TN. No problems thus far.

I have always had a headlight protecter. Not only does this protect the headlight from an errant rock, it also protects it from the pitting that eventually occurs through normal use. This would eventually make the nice clear glass on my R1200RT appear opaque.

I have always had a headlight protecter. Not only does this protect the headlight from an errant rock, it also protects it from the pitting that eventually occurs through normal use. This would eventually make the nice clear glass on my R1200RT appear opaque.

Good point....Hadn't thought of that..

Does anyone know where to get those little clear round plastic Lock-tite (3M?) adhesive discs used to fasten the headlamp protectors to the headlamp glass? wave.gif

Does anyone know where to get those little clear round plastic Lock-tite (3M?) adhesive discs used to fasten the headlamp protectors to the headlamp glass? wave.gif

Aeroflow

I had a headlight on my Suzuki punctured by a stone. Hit dead center in the round glass headlight just like it had been perfectly aimed. Even though the headlight resembled a universal 7" round motorcycle headlight of course it had special OEM mounting "ears" and was a dealer-only part costing over $100. So, lesson learned. I have an Aeroflow headlight protector on my RT-P. (And I installed X-pel headlight protection on my car, because I lost a fog-lamp to a stone)

Jerry Johnston

I've never had a broken headlight glass but I put 3m clear headlight protector on the bike when new in 96. I purchased several feet of the 8" stuff on a roll from NAPA. It's expensive but I've also used it on the cars which tend to get breaks more easily because of use in the winter time and fog lights because they're so low.

ShovelStrokeEd

I have never had a broken headlight in over 40 continous years of riding. Not something I worry about overmuch.

As to the glass getting etched, I ride in south Florida and there is lots and lots of sand in the air and on the roads. I think it would take a pretty long time to get glass to deteriorate. The stuff is pretty darn hard. Paint, on the other hand, isn't and you can see it going if you do a lot of highway riding around here.

As to the glass getting etched.....I think it would take a pretty long time to get glass to deteriorate. The stuff is pretty darn hard.

After 100000km the glass headlight on my old R100RT was noticeably etched. Also, the glass headlights on my wife's car are also etched after only 45000km of mostly city drivng. Therefore, I don't like the chances of the plastic headlight on an R1200RT not getting etched.

You can buy Dual Locks thru Cee Bailey . I just was in contact with them to buy replacement Dual Locks. Their standard shipping fee is, IMHO, too high ($9.99). They agreed to mail them to me for a lot less.

Riding since the late 70s, I have suffered only one damaged headlight due to road hazards. Looked like a BB hit the lense. Small hole on the outside, but complety blew out the back side of the crystal. My R1100-RT was the victim. After that, I used a headlight cover (3M film).

The R1200-RT lense is plastic, so I run it as is.

I had an XPEL protector on my RT. I was quite happy with the fit and clean cut. Never liked the awkward looking Cee Bailey stick-on.

XPEL used to offer 5-year replacement if your lens did break. Seems they have changed that to just warranty on the product itself. Oh well

Archived