IGNORED

Tire repair - did I goof?

GaryIF

While riding yesterday, I noticed the bike handling was squirrely so I pulled into a gas station to check the tire pressure. The front was spot on; the back was low. There was a small, tack-size nail that was in the rear tire. My first tire repair on a bike (tons on cars). I took out the BMW repair kit, followed the instructions, and plugged the tire successfully.

My subsequent search on this forum bummed me out as it's clear the BMW kit gets a big thumbs down. The dynaplug or stop 'n go kit seem to be the way to do. So, what to do? Should I:

a) Leave the BMW plug as is (it worked fine)

b) Yank out the BMW plug (if that's even possible) and replace it with one of the preferred brand plugs

c) Replace the relatively new tire (Michelin Road Pilot, 3,000 miles)

Thanks everyone.

I think the BMW plugs are a fine product. Better than some of the Stop-N-Go things, of which two have blown on me.

On our last trip to Mexico this spring, I got a flat in a canyon on the GS. Repaired with said product, and it leaked pretty badly the rest of the day. That night when we stopped, we repaired it with a BMW plug and it never leaked again.

As long as the carcass of the tire is not damaged and the hole is not large, I think a patch on the inside of a tire is a safe as a new tire.

As long as the carcass of the tire is not damaged and the hole is not large, I think a patch on the inside of a tire is a safe as a new tire.
It should be fine. The nail was quite small and its entry was straight in, not at an angle. The hole now is a bit larger because of my boring it out with the plug tool.

Fun weekend project and a chance to give the MarcParnes balancer another "spin."

Fun weekend project and a chance to give the MarcParnes balancer another "spin."

Mark the tire with a sharpie adjacent to the valve stem. When you re-mount the tire, you won't have to re-balance. thumbsup.gif

But of course, it's no trouble to check it anyhoo.

"As long as the carcass of the tire is not damaged and the hole is not large, I think a patch on the inside of a tire is a safe as a new tire"

eek.gifeek.gif

But, then again, David isn't as anal as some of us on this board grin.gifgrin.gif

Mark the tire with a sharpie adjacent to the valve stem. When you re-mount the tire, you won't have to re-balance. thumbsup.gif
Horrors, and deprive myself an obsessive compulsive moment?! When I described to Marc how precise I balance the wheel (cutting the weight to an exact amount rather than sticking with 1/4 oz. increments), he noted that I was entering the Twighlight Zone of wheel balancing. Should there be anything less expected of we BMW owners?
Horrors, and deprive myself an obsessive compulsive moment?! When I described to Marc how precise I balance the wheel (cutting the weight to an exact amount rather than sticking with 1/4 oz. increments), he noted that I was entering the Twighlight Zone of wheel balancing. Should there be anything less expected of we BMW owners?
In that case marking the wheel and tyre won't work because the weight of the patch will change the balance... eek.gifdopeslap.gif
In that case marking the wheel and tyre won't work because the weight of the patch will change the balance... eek.gifdopeslap.gif

And lest we forget the weight of the ink form said marker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! eek.gif

And lest we forget the weight of the ink form said marker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! eek.gif

All of which is completely detectable by the marcparnes balancer, which causes the obsessive-compulsive-gotta-have-it-perfect crowd into the black hole of space that astonomers talk about.

I won't take up an entire page with quotes.

Just remember to not breath whilst performing the previously mentioned "obsesive compulsive" balancing exersise. grin.gif

Archived