Oil Cooler Heat in Cockpit

Howie51

On a recent 1,000 miler across the Canadian Prairies in 90F+ weather on my 03'R1150 I noticed a substantial amount of heat radiating off the oil cooler. Having owned older R100RT's in the past, this wasn't an issue, and I'm wondering if others have noticed this unwelcome addition on the newer 1150's. It got bad enough that I was tempted to block the heat off by shoving something into the exit space to cut it down a little, but of course it's engineered to bleed the excess heat from the Oil cooler into this space. Any suggestions?

I live in Florida and have the same problem. I also believe that road heat gets sucked into the cockpit also as I notice different temperature over different types of road surfaces. Either way there appears to be nothing you can do but sweat. I wear wicking clothing and mesh riding gear. I don't even put a rain suit on in the summer because the water cools me down!

Howie,

They removed the shrouds from the oil cooler on the R1150 models. The earlier bikes had the shrouding around the back side of the oil cooler and it kept the heat from coming back on the rider. One of my riding buddies has a 2002 R1150RT and he and I both have thermometers mounted on the dash between the gauges. His is always about 10-15 degrees hotter than mine.

Mick

Beagles & Mick....

Thanks to both of you for the comments. I'm going to investigate the shrouds & determine if it's practical to design one for my 03'.

I have a dual thermometer counted under my dash on my '04RT.

It measures the temperature of the incoming air at the nose of the bike and the air temperature under the dash after passing through the oil coller. It is not uncommon to see 5C difference when travelling at road speeds and up to 15C difference in stop/start traffic.

Take care in making a shroud that may impede airflow.

In my view, if the windscreen was designed perfectly it would control the heat to some degree.

During a cold ride with the screen up, it should create enough low pressure behind the screen to draw the air upwards and onto the rider. At all other screen settings, the air should mostly flow downward after exiting the oil cooler.

I've noticed the same heat on hot rides on my '03 RT. It's not bad, compared to the K100 heat that blasted under the tank and on to your legs.

My aeroflow wind screen directs the heat fairly high. With my bare hand, I can find the heat hitting the top 1/3 of my helmet. I don't get any heat blasted against my body. Since I wear a full face helmet, the heat hasn't been an issue. I think the wind screen is a major advantage for controlling the oil cooler heat flow.

On super hot riding, I love the way the wind hits the arms of my Stitch. I wear tight fitting summer gloves, so the wind blows up my sleeves. At most, I now wear a "cool tie", but no longer need a cooling vest even in 115 degree desert heat while riding at speed with a Stitch Roadcrafter. The oil cooler heat isn't a problem even in this extreme heat. On board hydration is of course very important in extreme heat riding.

I have a dual thermometer counted under my dash on my '04RT.

It measures the temperature of the incoming air at the nose of the bike and the air temperature under the dash after passing through the oil coller. It is not uncommon to see 5C difference when travelling at road speeds and up to 15C difference in stop/start traffic.

Take care in making a shroud that may impede airflow.

In my view, if the windscreen was designed perfectly it would control the heat to some degree.

During a cold ride with the screen up, it should create enough low pressure behind the screen to draw the air upwards and onto the rider. At all other screen settings, the air should mostly flow downward after exiting the oil cooler.

I've been looking for that kind of thermometer. Where do you find them?

Thanks!

While making a baffle or diverter for oil cooler heat, you might want to make it adjustable so it heats the cockpit on cool days, at your discretion. A simple cable actuation would work.

Would the thermostat not restrict the flow of oil through the cooler when the temp drops? I only ask this because I haven't noticed enough heat blasting up in front of the tank in cold weather to make a significant difference. It only seems to be an issue when oil temps rise, and the cooler opens up.

Cheers!

Howie

Archived