Top case for R12RT

black99S

What top case did you buy  

573 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't really like the look of the large top case but it is .. well .. large. I need it to carry a notebook computer when needed for work. My wife likes it there to use the backrest when riding with me. It is a good place to store the helmet(s) when stopped somewhere. It is very easy and quick to remove and install when you want.

Now if I could find a good luggage rack for the top of the 49L case I'd be happy.

I'll try and get a pic the next time I see the guy, but I met a fella at my dealer who installed a K1200LT topcase Rack on his 49L topcase. Even had the thing wired in for the led brake light to work. Quick disconnect wiring allowed the topcase to still be removed in seconds. Looked quite nice too, especially since he had the lid painted Piedmont Red too!!! thumbsup.gif

Now if I could find a good luggage rack for the top of the 49L case I'd be happy.

I agree, I've tried a Givi and a chrome one from HD neither one would clear the pad.

I've had a couple of R1150RT models with the smaller top box and always felt it was just a bit small so went to the bigger version when I bought the R1200RT. No regrets, no problem when riding and I actually like the convenience of the larger capacity.

However - it might be an age thing as years ago I rode bikes with no luggage at all and in day to day use never even considered it an issue - but nowadays not having to carry jacket and helmet everywhere when off the bike seems important. Touring is another issue and here the extra space is a definite plus

I labored over deciding which case to get. Like others stated here, I'm not a huge fan of the looks of the 49L case, but I am soooo glad I got the big one. I've never found myself saying, "Gee, there's just too much room in here! I wish I had gone smaller!" grin.gif

I'm very happy with the 52L Givi. My SO's jacket has a back pad in it, and she's happy with the bare case. At some point I might make a bracket to move it back and add a pad, but no real neeed at this point. I am going to wire in the lights. Givi's also have racks and pads available.

If the side bags are off, the Givi will also save some damage to the side of the motorcycle if an inattentive driver backs into your R12Rt and knocks it over.....

DAMHIK!

all the best,

Mike

I'm another satisfied customer of he BMW 49L topcase. It all depends what your needs are. I use mine for touring solo, or whenever riding two-up. Glad I got it. The quick on/off is a thing of beauty.

.. My SO's jacket has a back pad in it, and she's happy with the bare case. At some point I might make a bracket to move it back and add a pad,

I looked at both the Givi and the BMW case and "thot" the BMW had a nicer pad. Good point about the back pad in the jacket - probably isn't as critical to have the better back pad. The SO loves having the 49L case on the bike I'm NOT going to let her look at an LT -or- a Wing. crazy.gif

Greg

The Givi is also useful on other bikes (VFR, KLR, Strom and FJR in the past)...... and costs (ahem) just a few $$ less than the BMW trunk........ smile.gif

all the best,

Mike

When I got the bike last year, the cost of a large top box was too much for us at the time.

However with us riding down to tour Turkey 21st Sept 06, we needed more room. Kathy was a wiz on e-bay, got an accident damaged one for £75. Collected it took it to a buddy to paint, changed the lock over myself, so one key would fit all. If you intend to do this, is is quite a job, and very fiddly.

And here we are ready to ride thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

img20538mu8.jpg

I'm very happy with the 52L Givi.

I love the Givi V46 I use on my R12RT. I had a E460 on my R1100S, which served me quite well, but it was sold with the bike. I was considering getting the 52l, but decided the 46l would still suit my needs.

Reasons I like Givi over BMW top cases, in order of importance to me:

- a quality product (not that BMW isn't)

- integrated brake light

- costs less

- and in the case of the V46, the internal light comes in handy

Granted, it uses the plastic rack, but since I never take the top case off, it really doesn't bother me.

Wes Hsu

I bought the large BMW case.....my only real complaint concerning it is it's weight. It's so heavy that I seldom use it because I'd rather not lug the extra lbs back there. Two up, sure...the passenger security of a back rest is a big plus.

I second the Givi V46 recommendation. I has great looks and is quite functional. It serves as a great ice chest if you forget yours and at half the cost of the BMW case you cannot beat it.

If cost were no object, which top case would you buy BMW or GIVI?

I would still buy the Givi. I feel the features it provides outweigh the benefits of the BMW cases. I commute everyday and last Dec. I was rear-ended pretty hard (thankfully I was in my car that one day, so I only suffered from whiplash). I'm a big fan of Givi's integrated brake light (and I use Hyper-Lites as well...call me paranoid).

Do the BMW topcases simply snap onto the bike or do you still need to install some hardware?

Wes Hsu

If cost were no object, which top case would you buy BMW or GIVI?

Personally, I'd buy the BMW because I find Givi cases to be (don't be offended Givi owners) a bit ugly. We all know, though, that looks are very subjective, but I could never bring myself to put one on my bike. I have the BMW 49L case and I like how it complements the bike, and is quite functional. The quick on/off is a dream; there's nothing you need to add to the stock bike to use it.

Personally, I'd buy the BMW because I find Givi cases to be (don't be offended Givi owners) a bit ugly. We all know, though, that looks are very subjective.

No offense taken here! That's what I love about life...everyone likes different things. I'm just the opposite. I think the large BMW top case is ugly. It's so boxy and it only comes in light silver, which doesn't match anything on my bike. The 28l is a bit nicer, but it's just too small for my needs. If the top cases were a little more sculpted like the saddlebags to really match the design of the bike, and the tops were color matched to the bike color, then I might be persuaded to get a BMW case.

I certainly think the stock saddlebags are truly awesome. They look great with the bike, their new latch design is fantastic, and I love how the mounts are integrated into the bike.

The Givi comes on/off in a snap as well, but you do need that ugly plastic mounting plate. But, for me, I never take the top case off, so you never see it. On my R1100S, you needed these metal brackets that ran the tail end of the bike...now that's ugly! Part of me wishes the top case lock was keyed to my ignition key, but I also keep my alarm remote separate from my ignition key, so I just keep the Givi key with that. So for me, it's really makes no difference.

You can't go wrong with either product line.

Wes Hsu

I just thought of another benefit of going with the Givi...somewhat price related, too. I'm going to find a smaller case, if I can, than the 52/46 family. I'll keep that on there when I don't need the big space. I can easily have 2 or more Givi's for the price of the factory case.

The 52 and 46 Givi are also available with painted lids, for those that didn't know.

all the best,

Mike

As a personal choice, conspicuity/safety is really important. My Givi E52 has built in brake lights that are bright, it holds two helmets, and quickly comes on/off (in fact it's easier machinery than my BMW cases). The construction/quallity is very good.

For me, that is by far preferable to the BMW case. To each his own!

I'm another satisfied customer of he BMW 49L topcase. It all depends what your needs are. I use mine for touring solo, or whenever riding two-up. Glad I got it. The quick on/off is a thing of beauty.

I started this poll to help me decide what to buy for my 06RT. having ridden sport touring bikes (solo) for 25 years with bags and maybe a small duffel lashed to the rack, my only top case experience was with K100RS. It had a smallish top case with backrest - case usefull only for odd small travel stuff but best as a day-trip backrest for my wife.

I thought the small BMW case would take care of the passenger backrest requirement and provide some useful storage for multi-day 2-up trips without being so large as to impact handling when riding solo. maybe most of you are used to lots of luggage capacity or travel 2-up a lot. i'm more a minimalist and mostly ride solo, but when my wife is with me she wants a backrest - and has a hard time living out of one saddle bag. i thought the small BMW top case would be a good solo / 2-up compromise, now i'm not so sure after reading all your comments.

anyone ride much with saddle bags off and only a large top case on? do all you minimalist 2-up riders still want a large top-case? thanks for the imput.

After having owned the always too small trunk on my R1100-RT, I purchased the large trunk for my R1200-RT.

I only use the trunk when 2-up or 1-up and camping.

When 1-up camping, I can fit my tent, Kermit chair and sleeping bag all inside the trunk. The trunk then stays at camp for the duration.

Make sure you consider the easy removability of the trunk, large or small, before making decision.

I always ride with bags on. Sometimes with trunk. Never trunk only.

anyone ride much with saddle bags off and only a large top case on? do all you minimalist 2-up riders still want a large top-case? thanks for the imput.

I only use my saddle bags when I'm going on a long trip. I commute to work everyday on the RT. I find the BMW tank bag and my Givi V46 are a perfect combination for me. The tank bag holds an extra visor and gloves. The Givi is perfect for my 30 pound backpack that contains my laptop and everything else I need for an office on the go.

Wes Hsu

I recently bought a used R1200RT, and it came with the 49L trunk. I previously had the R1100RT, with the 35L trunk. On both bikes, I normally ride without side cases, but with the trunk. I like to leave my helmet (a Schuberth Concept) in the trunk, along with my gloves. I could just get it into the 35L on the R1100RT. Now, I leave my helmet, my Aerostich Darien, gloves, an extra oil filter, and the cylinder guards that I haven't had time to install yet in there! Yes, it's heavy, and it does make some difference in handling when you're riding solo, but for my daily commute to work the convenience is unbeatable. YMMV.

I ride two up most of the time . Got the R1200RT and I knew I had to do a passenger backrest and some kind of top box or soft pack for two up trips. At first we did not like the looks of the Large BMW top box . So I picked up a BMW small top box on Ebay. Well after two trips we knew that the small BMW top box was not big enought . We pack light but , as always, there was no room left for anything extra. I concidered a larger Givi but did not like the way it connected to the bike and the passenger backrest looked uncomfortable. So I purchased the Large BMW top box with passenger backrest for $650. to my door. Sold the small box. After putting it on the bike it looks better than the small box . Lots more room and the wife likes the angle of the backrest better.

I've gone the CBOA route for now. A Pelican case; it's much lighter and cheaper. My wife has her own 1200GS so we never ride two-up.

I glued a rubber pad to the bottom of the case which gives it plenty of grip against the luggage rack once it's strapped down(5500 mi. trip and the case didn't budge)

88881805-M.jpg

I have the large BMW topcase and ride solo with it to work a lot. I do not find any handling problems with it on unless there is some cross wind in which case the cross wind is much more noticable but is not a problem. I assume other topcases would also catch a cross wind, depending on the size of the case.

Just curious. Where did you purchase a large box for $650? Isn't the price around $800 for a large top box, not including shipping?

$1100 Canadian including the lock. Plus 7% provincial tax. Plus 6% GST (gouging and screwing tax). I'm waiting for Christmas or a trip to Alberta (no PST).

Archived