IGNORED

R1200RT recall notices?

t2yak

I am the owner of a R1200RT in the UK having purchased the bike new in Sept 2005.

I get the feeling looking at this website that owners in N.America may have received a number of recall's issued by BMW USA yet nothing has ever been received by me from BMW UK regarding my machine.

For my interest what recall/modification notices have been issued in the USA for the R1200RT during the past 12 months or so?

I know of two that have been preformed on my '05 RT. Both revolve around the ABS. One was to replace the banjo bolt, the other was to re-route the ABS brake sensor and add a clip to the line. If there was slack in the sensor wire it could come in to contact with the brake caliper and score the wire causing a ABS warning light to trigger.

Those are the only two I know of. Hope this answers your question.

There are also service bulletins. These are not recalls as they are not safety related. However most of these will be performed by BMW at no cost so long as the bike is still in warranty. For example I had a new float for the oil level sensor installed (along with new software) to correct the problem with the oil warning coming on too soon.

I am the owner of a R1200RT in the UK having purchased the bike new in Sept 2005.

I get the feeling looking at this website that owners in N.America may have received a number of recall's issued by BMW USA yet nothing has ever been received by me from BMW UK regarding my machine.

For my interest what recall/modification notices have been issued in the USA for the R1200RT during the past 12 months or so?

I would have thought that your bike would definitely be affected. I bought mine new in October 05, and it required those mods along with all the other RT's, pre a certain production date. However, I can't remember there being any drama about the situation, it was simply scheduled into the 6000 mile service. BTW both mods don't take long.

I had a phone call from dealer yesterday about the ABS recall for rerouting cable on my 05 1200RT , might be worth a phone call if think yours could be affected.

Think it affects about 9,000 bikes according to a recall notice on an American site that I found.

Regards

I never received recall notices for my '05 R12RT.

However, when my bike was in for a new ESA shock, the service department performed the banjo bolt replacement, and the ABS wiring re-route....after I asked. dopeslap.gif

I did receive the recall notices but when I took my bike in for the 10,000km service they already had the recall work listed on the service order without my asking for it. They told me they always check your vin against their computer to make sure there are no outstanding recalls.

I did receive the recall notices but when I took my bike in for the 10,000km service they already had the recall work listed on the service order without my asking for it. They told me they always check your vin against their computer to make sure there are no outstanding recalls.

I received the clutch recall notice ('potentially effected' 06RT), but when I took it to the shop my VIN was not in the listed range. 2-weeks later after review with BMW Canada the shop received the clutch kit and did the job in 1-day. thumbsup.gif

Yep my 06 had the clutch done as part of the pre delivery prep in the spring, and I just had it in for the 10,000kms and asked about the 2 brake recalls but neither were necessary on my bike. Here I've been riding around a bundle of nerves expecting my abs to fail at any minute. (Not) eek.gif

I received two recall letters from BMW NA about 1 month after my BMW dealer corrected the problems.

1. Letter for re-routing of ABS sensor cable.

2. Letter for replacing banjo bolt in order to restrict flow of brake fluid.

I Think the re-routing of the ABS sensor cable was actually done before I bought the bike in April '06.

Now if BMW will only recall their P.O.S. R1200RT tankbag.

since nobody has mentioned it, I'm guessing there isn't a website where us humans can enter VIN numbers and check.

POS tank-bag. Harsh, except that it's way too friggin expensive. I really like that clips on and off quickly, but it could use a few small outside pockets and (like most bags) a bigger window for maps!

since nobody has mentioned it, I'm guessing there isn't a website where us humans can enter VIN numbers and check.

POS tank-bag. Harsh, except that it's way too friggin expensive. I really like that clips on and off quickly, but it could use a few small outside pockets and (like most bags) a bigger window for maps!

I like the tank bag. Here's the recall info but no it doesn't list affected VINs. Kawasaki does that on their website and yep it's handy.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

Here's the recalls for the 06 RT

Report Date : September 7, 2006 at 11:09 PM

SEARCH TYPE : VEHICLE

YEAR : 2006

Make : BMW

Model : R1200 RT

Results : 3 | All records displayed

Make : BMW Model : R1200 RT Year : 2006

Manufacturer : BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06V164000 Recall Date : MAY 12, 2006

Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 13200

Check to Request Research. Submit below. Get Summary

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06V104000 Recall Date : MAR 30, 2006

Component: POWER TRAIN:CLUTCH ASSEMBLY

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 453

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06V134000 Recall Date : APR 14, 2006

Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 9260

I recieved my 2 envelopes in the mail for the ABS wire relocation and banjo bolt a few weeks ago.

The bike is working fine and I will wait till my 6k checkup to have it done.

Rich

TOTALLY AGREE regarding the tank bag. A little smaller with outside pockets.

Not trying to change the subject, just couldn't resist the comment.

Rotor

ack - I had only heard of one. Bike works fine, so I'm always afraid to have it messed with. I'll give the dealer a call.

Personally, I think they should be looking up for their customers.

Archived