IGNORED

Anti fogging for the helmet visor

Eckhard Grohe

Does anyone have a favorite 'stuff' to keep the visor and windshield clear of fog on those cool wet days???

None of the spray-on/wipe-on stuff works as well as a Fog City insert. However, I've found that these types of products are less than 100% optically perfect, so I'd recommend having two sets of shields--one with and one without the Fog City insert.

I like the Cat Crap stuff myself http://www.ekusa.com/item/23.43.392/ it works very well with a couple of my helmets (an AGV Q3 and a Schuberth Concept) but the weather has not been cool enough so far to see how effective it will be with my System 5. The trick is to apply just a very slight amount to the visor and to make sure that it is spread as thin as possible; basically when you can't see it anymore then it's OK. What I don't like about it is that the moisture will at first bead on the bottom edge of the screen so to avoid the problem I ride with the visor open to the first click for a few miles.

Regards

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
None of the spray-on/wipe-on stuff works as well as a Fog City insert. However, I've found that these types of products are less than 100% optically perfect, so I'd recommend having two sets of shields--one with and one without the Fog City insert.
I disagree Mike. I used Fog City shields for 15 years before I discovered Zooke. I never had any problems with the optics but didn't like that it was so easy to scratch a Fog City. Zooke is a great cleaner and anti-fogger. Fog City really is a nice product though.

I had good results with Rain-X Fog-free. But the best for me is the Nolan N100 helmet with the snap-in fog-free insert on the inside of the shield.

I had good results with Rain-X Fog-free. But the best for me is the Nolan N100 helmet with the snap-in fog-free insert on the inside of the shield.

My N102 came with one of those. I haven't used it yet.

It really works?

My N102 came with one of those. I haven't used it yet.

It really works?

Yep. I got an N102 earlier this year and it works very well. However, I take the insert out during the summer, when fogging is not much of an issue. Maybe I'm extraordinarily sensitive to these things, but I find that the view is just a wee bit less than perfect with the second layer of plastic. Certainly a better option than riding with a fogged-up shield, though.

I disagree Mike. I used Fog City shields for 15 years before I discovered Zooke.. . . Zooke is a great cleaner and anti-fogger.

I must defer to your greater experience. I never tried Zooke; I guess the loud-mouth Zooke guys at the Motorcycle Show who are always trying to steal my glasses to clean them pissed me off too much to want to give it a try. dopeslap.gif

I've tried a bunch of different things over the last couple years. The closest thing to perfect fog free riding has been to clean my visor, polish the inside with dish soap and use one of these:

popup_foggy.jpg

Respro Foggy

Only works with a full-face helmet of course but it does give you a cool fighter pilot feel.

I must defer to your greater experience. I never tried Zooke; I guess the loud-mouth Zooke guys at the Motorcycle Show who are always trying to steal my glasses to clean them pissed me off too much to want to give it a try.

They actually broke my wife's glasses doing just that... she didn't even get a free bottle out of them... damn if she was going to buy a bottle after that grin.gifeek.gif

2nd on the guys stealing my glasses... Walked right up to me at DC international show... "what do you ride"... BMW at the moment... "you really need this with your glasses riding with a full face helmet".... snatches glasses right off my head and doesn't know what type of helmet I ride in at that point anyway but made a good assumption...

It's like the Hari Krishna's in the airports in the 70's.

I've come to the conclusion that different products work better or worse depending upon the mfg. of the plastic in the visor. I've had good or bad luck with this or that depending upon what brand of helmet I have a the time.

Some of them I've tried are CatCrap, FogTech liquid, RainX (marine for plastics), FogGel, Scott No Fog Cloth, dish soap, and plain old Plexus.

Personally I can't stand the inserts, the refraction of two layers of plastic bothers me too much.

At the moment on my Nolan 102 I'm having the best luck with the Scott cloths.

A little ADD going on here...but, whatever happened to them? Haven't seen any in years.

Jim

A little ADD going on here...but, whatever happened to them? Haven't seen any in years.

Jim

They all bought Microsoft at five cents a share. Now they all live in affluent neighborhoods and are only in the airport long enough to board first class. grin.gif

The best thing I've found is the shield for a Scorpion helmet. It will NOT fog! thumbsup.gif An inexpensive helmet with an excellent face shield.

Why can't the other manufactures (Arai/Shoie)make shields like this?

I've tried Zookie, and it is OK, but even better is the stuff from Scott. Comes in a little bottle of green spray. Works better than anything else that I have ever tried.

GelandeStrasseWayne

I found Fog Tech works well, but that I needed to apply it every day in wet foggy weather. My Schuberth C2 visor works well without any treatment.

Archived