IGNORED

Help to remove Center Stand 04 RT

90RedRider

Need help to remove center stand. There are 2 screws w/5mm hex , 1 each side. Above these are larger hexhead bolts. The screws may be for accessing where you might lube the stand. The bolts look like they anchor the stand mounting assembly. Is it the larger hexhead bolts I need to remove. I took out the screws that center at where the stand pivots, but this did not seem to do much, so before I proceed looking for help. Thanks for any guidance, Sid

Joe Frickin' Friday
Need help to remove center stand. There are 2 screws w/5mm hex , 1 each side. Above these are larger hexhead bolts. The screws may be for accessing where you might lube the stand. The bolts look like they anchor the stand mounting assembly. Is it the larger hexhead bolts I need to remove. I took out the screws that center at where the stand pivots, but this did not seem to do much, so before I proceed looking for help. Thanks for any guidance, Sid

If the 1150's are like the 1100's, then here you go:

1. put bike on sidestand.

2. remove springs from centerstand. A vise grip or similar locking pliers works great for grabbing the straight part of each spring and unhooking it.

3. remove the 2 small socket cap screws (the onees you mentioned, w/5mm hex). Each of these screws exposes a much larger hex socket, either 10mm or 12mm (can't remember). These hexes lets you tighten/loosen the large load-bearing pins that the centerstand swings on; these pins are maybe 3/4-1" in diameter, and 4" long, with 3" inserted into the engine block; the exposed 1" of each pin is what the c-stand rides on. These two load-bearing pins are connected through the engine block by a long 8mm rod, threaded on both ends.

4. You will need two allen wrenches here, one for each side of the bike. Hold one of the load bearing pins while you unscrew the other. When one of the pins comes free from the bike, you can pull the other one out and the long 8mm rid will come with it.

5. When you pull these pins out, spacers will fall out from between the c-stand pivots and the engine block; they may be different, so remember which spacer goes on which side of the bike.

Clean the bearing surfaces of the pins; clean the bearing surfaces of the c-stand pivots; and replace any of the O-rings that are damaged, as they will help retain the grease and keep water out. New O-rings can be had from the plumbing section of the nearest hardware store.

When you're installing the pins and long 8mm rod, don't torque the crap out of it. The pins may be huge, but the 8mm rod is only, um, 8mm.

Does this sound like what you're seeing under your bike?

Curious too, why are you removing the C-stand?

Sid, if you insert a series of washers or coins between the open coils of the center stand springs with the center stand down (or almost down) it will make spring removal & replacement much easier.. Those washers will only allow the springs to collapse slightly when the center stand is put back up so the springs will just lift off the hooks with your fingers,, same with putting them back on.. Just slide the springs back on, then deploy the center stand & the washers will fall out from between the coils.. That way you don't nick the springs or bugger up the spring coating that invites rust or spring failure at a later time..

Twisty

Thanks Mitch, I am removing center stand so I can get it shortened. I lowered the bike with some Wilbers. Shortened the side stand so I don,t fall over . Now need to do the center. Mine may be slightly different from yours but this is a help. The CD and my Clymer are not much help.

Thank you Mitch, I got it off. If you had not mentioned having 2 of the 10mm allen wrenches I might still be turning those sockets. Both of my spacers are same size.

I did and was doing the washers in the spring trick, which is no easy task with spring attached. When you push from one side to flex the spring, other side washers fall out. I ended up using a slot screw driver to wedge a space in spring to insert the washers. Who said working on these bikes is fun. Thanks for all the help. Sid

Archived