IGNORED

Is there simple way to increase idle speed?

otis

The idle speed on my 04RT is too low….between 950 and 1000 rpm. Is there a way to adjust the idle speed without removing the tupperware?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Patrick

Even with the tupperware off there is no simple way to do it. Idle speed is controlled by the Motronic computer. Improper idle speed is indicative of something else being wrong.

The idle speed on my 04RT is too low….between 950 and 1000 rpm. Is there a way to adjust the idle speed without removing the tupperware?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Patrick

Patrick,

The best way is to remove the plastic and use the two Air Bleed screws to increase the idle speed. It is not controlled by the Motronic unless you have one of those new fangled R1200RT's or GS. smile.gif Best to have a Manometer of some type attached to get the sync correct.

Mick

Same question, but how about for a 2000 R1100RT.
Same answer. The two brass air bypass screws, one on each side, control idle speed on every R1100 or R1150 bike. The guys who posted that it can't be done were thinking R1200 bikes.

Thanks for the info. Until I get to tinker with it, is it wrong to use the "choke" to keep the idle up a little higher? It seems that when I start off from a light, as soon as I touch the throttle, the RPMs drop down, occasionally enough to stall. Not all the time, but enough to have my attention ever time I start off.

The question was "Is there a way to adjust the idle speed without removing the tupperware?"

The answer is no.

You are correct. THe one who I guess was thinking R1200 is Ken H smile.gif
Thanks for the info. Until I get to tinker with it, is it wrong to use the "choke" to keep the idle up a little higher? It seems that when I start off from a light, as soon as I touch the throttle, the RPMs drop down, occasionally enough to stall. Not all the time, but enough to have my attention ever time I start off.
Using the "choke" is exactly the same as turning the throttle a little further - why not do that?

Is the engine warm or cold,when it idles low? Do the RPMs increase when it warms up? To a certain extent, idle speed picks up after warmup. I don`t want to be a wiseass,but are you smooth on the getaway from a stop? Even if the idle is low,(950- 1000) aint that low,do you get the feel for giving it just a smidge more throttle ? I don`t want to mung up the works here ,but if the idle speed is off ,It might make me think of syncing the throttle bodies also. If you feel up to it ,that`s what I`d do. IMHO. Plenty of guys on this site can help,or drop me an Email . Charlie

738748-h13.jpg.d06ba84c10f1db6e4f88a827b20c9976.jpg

Thanks and Best Regards,

Patrick

You only have to remove the left side. The right side has an access plate and the fareing has an access hole to adjust the air circuit. Connect a TWINMASTER like you are doing a TB sync, and just balence the two throttle bodies at the desired idle speed. I think 1100 RPM is the spec for that.

Chris

Using the "choke" is exactly the same as turning the throttle a little further - why not do that?
Using the choke lever to raise the idle slightly opens the butterflies and voids the shut-off of fuel injection when you go off the throttle if you are over 2,000 rpm. I don't know how that might affect gas mileage, exhaust quality, catalytic converter behavior.
I'd pull the BBS's out and clean 'em real good, as well as the openings they seat in. I'm willing to bet the whole works is pretty carboned up.

On the 2000RT there is a way......

There is access to the rightside TBS through a hole in the tupperware.

The leftside can be accessed with a very very long screw driver shoved between trhe tupperware below the left side of the battery tray.

Just remember to hook up your vacuum tubes before the engine heats up, those heads are hot (Ouch).

But IMHO, it only takes about 15mins. to remove the tupperware Hmmmm.

I have the same problem with my 2003 RT. The tach indicates that the idle is about 900-1000, and I sometimes stall when coming to a stop. I have asked my BMW dealer about it being low, and they say that it is working fine and that it is idling where all RTs idle. I have tried to increase the idle via the brass air screws when I did a TB sync, but I didn't find that any adjustment made much difference in the idle speed. I could never adjust the air screws such that the idle speed would increase above an indicated 1000 rpm on the tach. It seems to run fine and so I learned to work the throttle to compensate for the low idle.

Archived