IGNORED

97 R1100RT clutch replacment

bmwterry

OK, I bought the bike (see lower post). Are there any comprehensive tech articles on this or will I have to buy a manual? I've changed clutches on airheads, is this much different? The on line parts fiche tells me there isn't a lot more to it.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Are there any comprehensive tech articles on this
In a word...yes. First, familiarize yourself with the Search Feature.

You might want to spend some time looking at the M/C FAQ though it doesn't specifically mention the clutch replacement.

Look at these different threads...

this one and this one and this one too.

Jamie, aka KMG_365 has written many excellent articles and is quite knowlegable about, well, darned near everything! grin.gif I did a search with the parameters of 1-year and his user name and "clutch replacement" and found a gem: HERE.

You'll want to balance what the manual says with questions to us here. I know that Haynes tells you to completely remove the rear subframe, which is absolutely not necessary.

Have fun! wave.gif

Are there any comprehensive tech articles on this
In a word...yes. First, familiarize yourself with the Search Feature.

You might want to spend some time looking at the M/C FAQ though it doesn't specifically mention the clutch replacement.

Look at these different threads...

this one and this one and this one too.

Jamie, aka KMG_365 has written many excellent articles and is quite knowlegable about, well, darned near everything! grin.gif I did a search with the parameters of 1-year and his user name and "clutch replacement" and found a gem: HERE.

You'll want to balance what the manual says with questions to us here. I know that Haynes tells you to completely remove the rear subframe, which is absolutely not necessary.

Have fun! wave.gif

What he said + When intalling the friction plate make sure you put it in exactly as shown...not as..ahem..a certain member or this board once did and put it in backwards in which case you get to to do the job twice dopeslap.gif

Stop snerking out there...it's easier than you think to put it on the wrong way. tongue.gif

Good luck, it's a big job but you and the bike will feel great when it's done.

Cameron

Just thought I would throw this up here for your perusal.

Would have helped me my first time.

-------------

Tools

Decent set of metric hex bits and sockets

30 mm socket

12 mm` hex tool

Clutch alignment tool

Clamps for gas lines

Heat gun or torch

2 ratcheting straps

17mm long socket if one forgets, as I did, to adjust the clutch before putting bike back together.

Touque Wrench(s)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parts

Clutch disk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Misc…Stuff

3 7mm 40mm 1.0 pitch bolts for starting transmission reasemble

Assorted Washers

Long 8mm 1.25 pitch carriage bolts with heads cut off for transmission removal …instilattion.

Vice

Hack Saw

Moly lube

Honda Moly 60 Paste

Krytox

Carb cleaner for cleaning splines

Wd 40 for breaking loose exhasust

Support for swingarm

Cardboard box for final drive

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\

Useful Information

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

1 pound foot = 1.355817952 Newton Meter

1 Kg-m = 9.80665 Newton Meter

Clutch plate bolts require 6mm hex tool torque spec 18 Nm = 13.276 ft pounds

\

Rear Shock Absorber Bolts 50 Nm = 36.9 ft/pd

Frame Bolts 4 Torque = ?

Muffler (Silencer) Clamp Bolt 50 Nm =36.9 ft/pd

Rear brake caliper mouning bolts 40 Nm = 29.5 ft/pd

• 1 month later...
BeemerWrangler

I just rebuilt my clutch after 27k (7k by me in the last 6 months). This forum has been a huge help, and though I can't think of everyone who's been of assistance -- thanks to you all for posting your trials, tribulations, and advice!

Archived