IGNORED

What jacket do you wear?

lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman

I am new to the Street scene and would like to know what a good all around jacket would be? I live in So. California's high desert so I see temps well above 100 degree's daily in the summer. I would prefer a textile type jacket. I am purchasing a R 1100RT-P this weekend so I need to pick up some gear. Hoping I can hear some suggestions on what is good and what isn't. This is what I am considering. Tour Master

Anyone familiar with this jacket that can give me some input? Also I am a large person at 6'4 240lbs.

Tourmaster GX Air w/Liner for winter. Makes for a 4 season (or as close as L.A. gets to that) setup. Wish the jacket had more pockets.

As warm as it gets here, I'll think you'll be parboiled in the Transistion.

You need to try the stuff on. Manufactures differ greatly in fit.

I resently went from leather to textile jacket for summer.

I also got some pants. Boy the pant hunt was crazy, fit was wildly different between brands.

Luckily I found a perfect fit for both with Rev'it but that's me.

Most all the major brands now a days make a quality product. It boils down to the right fit for you.

I am new to the Street scene and would like to know what a good all around jacket would be? I live in So. California's high desert so I see temps well above 100 degree's daily in the summer. I would prefer a textile type jacket. I am purchasing a R 1100RT-P this weekend so I need to pick up some gear. Hoping I can hear some suggestions on what is good and what isn't. This is what I am considering. Tour Master

Anyone familiar with this jacket that can give me some input? Also I am a large person at 6'4 240lbs.

The Tour Master Transition jacket is a good jacket, but not for the kinds of heat you experience for a good portion of the year. It doesn't flow enough air.

TM does make the GX-air w/leather (and liner), as has been pointed out. Also, Olympia makes a couple of very cool jackets with removable waterproof/warmth liners. The AirGlide and the Bushwhacker. Both are very similar in construction and features, with the Airglide being a shorter sport cut and the Bushwhacker being the longer 3/4-length cut.

At the higher end of the scale are the BMW Venting Machine Jacket and the Santiago. Good looks, great protection, and they flow lots of air. But they're about twice the price of a Tour Master or Olympia.

As to what I personally wear, in the summer it's a BMW Savanna2 (this has been replaced in the BMW lineup by the Santiago). I'm comfortable in it well past 100 degrees.

+1 on the Savannah. I'da upgrade if just a few more rich slobs had come my way when they were on clearance. Friggin' delayed gratification, goal setting nonsense. fitz.gif

Joe rocket Reactor...From 115 degrees to 20 degrees the only jacket you'll ever need.....Leather and kevlar in the impact spots and mesh in enough area to cool ya down....rain proof liner...

BTW ...20 degrees was with an electric vest...

Whip

Espinosa's

Rosemead, california

He is a custom leather maker.

I took him impact armor, he measured me, I gave him specifics of double layers on elbows and such, perforated leather for the chest, portions of the arm and back and $250 dollars later and 4 weeks and im ready to go.

Espinoza's Leather Goods

8730 Garvey Avenue

Rosemead, CA 91770-3331

Phone: (626) 307-5049

+1 on the Savannah. I'da upgrade if just a few more rich slobs had come my way when they were on clearance. Friggin' delayed gratification, goal setting nonsense. fitz.gif
+1 here too on the Savanna 2. Wished I'd have picked up another jacket, and especially a pair of pants while they were still available. It seems BMW apparel has nothing in red anymore!
It seems BMW apparel has nothing in red anymore!

I've just seen the 2007 collection. There's a bit of red on its way. Also, if you're looking for a size 46 Rallye2 pants in red, I know a dealer (ahem) who has one pair left, on closeout.

Hi,

Look at the Tourmaster Flex jacket on the same website.

I just bought a barely used Marsee Onewear system jacket www.marseeproducts.com from a BMWST member and am happy with it.

Another consideration is the Firstgear Meshtex jacket,but make sure to get the corecomp armor upgrade,also available thru NewEnough.

Firstgear Kilimanjaro "Air" would also be a good choice if you want the longer length,again get the armor upgrade.

JR356

I've had a Joe Rocket Santa Fe mesh/leather jacket for two summers and it's been great in the DC heat. The mesh is strong but VERY open, which isn't apparent in photos. Folds up pretty small to stuff into a side case. I like its perfed leather shoulders/arms, and I have the zip-in liner for spring/fall or cool nights.

Here's what it looks like but it's available cheaper on eBay:

http://www.motorhelmets.com/htm1/apparel-street-jackets-joerocket-leather14.htm

I wear (normally) a Rev'it Ignition jacket. It's a leather/mesh combo that's somewhat similar to the GX Air mentioned above. Despite the really ugly marketing pictures (IMHO) Rev'it has out there, I like the looks. It vents pretty well, but for 95°+ weather, I'd want a cooling vest as well. I feel like I'm well protected with the armor included (hard elbow/forearm and shoulder armor and a pretty good ce back protector). The mesh isn't as good at airflow as some JR stuff but really good at protection (apparently). It comes with a waterproof liner and an insulating vest.

The big thing is that it's comfy and fits me well (obviously helped by the strech panels). I've only felt the need to leave it behind once since getting it (113+° in Vegas on a 10m ride RT).

One thing to consider is cleaning. The black/silver gets dirty pretty easily (as do all lighter color mesh jackets.) Leather/mesh jackets are more challenging to clean than just mesh.

It does take time to get used to the "reverse" zipper found on European jackets (for men).

Lots of pockets, but all but 3 of them "leave" with the liners.

With that said, I also recently picked up a Spidi full leather for cooler weather.

You might also consider this. Although on clearance, it's still a bit more than the Tourmaster though. However, it seems to have more mesh/vents than the TM. (And since the RT-P isn't exactly known for exposing you to the wind, that's probably a good thing.

Regarless, look into a cooling vest for next summer no matter what you get. A jacket isn't any good if you don't wear it.

Just my 2¢

Hi All

For the humid Gold Coast weather (sub tropical) I have a mesh Hit Air airbag jacket. Plenty of airflow, CE armor and air bags. Very happy with it - so much so I purchased one of their longer, warmer/waterproof models for the brief "winter" we have.

Martin

I live in socal and have a white TM GxAir which works pretty well. My one complaint is that the back protector covers a lot of area and lies flat on your back. I wish they had a different design for this that would allow air to circulate under the back protector. Btw, the white color isn't a problem. Since it's all textile, you can just pull the armor and throw it in the wash. I do this only about twice a year.

In the heat I wear a BMW Airflow-2, with Savanna-2 trousers. I also wear a Savanna-2 jacket with the same trousers, or I wear a 2 piece Alpinestars leather suit. Boots & gloves also vary depending on conditions.

I have the BMW Santiago and find it has good ventilation and am very comfortable and happy with it so far. Been out in many 100+ days with good results. I have not yet done cold weather riging with it but intend to add a heated jacket or just layers under it.

Motoport/Cycleport Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket. If you add the liners you can go all year long. Check them out here http://www.motoport.com/ Custom sizing to your dimensions. Unfortunately, a pretty long wait, but worth it.

+1 for the Ultra II Airmesh Kevlar Jacket and Pants.

It has been everything I hoped for and more. Very comfortable, looks good, versatile features, great workmanship. I am confident I can wear this one year round. I have been wearing it through the hottest summer we have seen in some time here in the valley and am definitely getting better airflow than any other jacket I have had in the past.

As to what I personally wear, in the summer it's a BMW Savanna2 (this has been replaced in the BMW lineup by the Santiago). I'm comfortable in it well past 100 degrees.

I also use a Savanna 2. I use it year-round. In the summer, I use the jacket alone. Great venting. If it gets over 100, I add a cool-vest. In winter, I add a Gerbing's heated jacket liner. The savanna keeps the wind out and I'm toasty down to the 20's at least (haven't tested it below 20). For rain, I use a separate rain jacket to cover the Savanna. I never could get used to the idea of the internal rain liner. I just don't like riding around in a soaked outer-jacket.

I've seen some left-over Savanna-2's in various dealers recently. They are a great jacket if you can find one.

Joe Rocket Phoenix from NewEnough.com. Great close out prices in the fall. We got a pair of Joe Rocket jackets that set us back $100 for the pair! We added Sahara vest type coolers for the 110 plus WX we have plenty of. Works good enough for us.

Just buy an Aerostitch Darian and have done with it. Open the vents and wear a cool vest from Silver Eagle. This might be the only jacket you ever purchase...

I have been very happy with my Savanna II suit which I have had for 3 years. Next year I will replace the pants, probably with the Santiago.

The Savanna has been versatile in all temperatures/weather. The zippers sometimes get caught, a little frustrating, and some of the velcro is getting a little worn.

Overall, a 9 on 10 for me........

Cheers........

For those 100 plus degree days, you might want to look at a Vanson VentMax 3 made out of 1000 denier Cordura, with leather patches on elbows, and armor, all for under $150. At least until you can budget the money and wait (probably like 3 months) for a Motoport/Cycleport Ultra II Kevlar Air Mesh jacket. That one is 3/4 length for $429. The regular Air Mesh Kevlar is waist-cut jacket and $399. I just reread the specs on the Kevlar; the claimed tear strength is 1250 lbs. Compare that to 500 denier Cordura supposedly with a tear strength of 22 lbs (motoport's claim). Motoport also claims that the temp range without the liner is from 60 degrees to 120 degrees.

Rukka Jacket and Pants (GoreTex)...very confortable...pricey though crazy.gif

for warm weather when riding around (meaning not for a ride longer than 1 day) I have an AlpineStar AirFlow jacket and pants (mesh)...nice too

I have the Olympia airglide bushmaster and it moves much more air through it than my Savanna 2. The problem with the Olympia is there are no tall sizes. I should wear an XL tall but in the Olympia I am in a XXXXL. The fabric on the Savanna is much tougher than the Olympia. Eventually I will get the cycleport air kevlar jacket. The cycleport is the stoutest jacket I have found, I just have to save my pennies to get it.

Something else to consider, the RT really restricts airflow so cooling is a big problem. I put on the Cee Bailey's short summer shield and increased the airflow on my upperbody, but the downside was it increased road noise too.

First Gear MeshTex jacket, pants, and gloves! thumbsup.gif

Chicago still gets its share of heat and stupidity, oops, I mean humidity, and this set up has worked great all summer long. And that is with a full face helmet and a 30 mile each way commute everyday. I may get looks and comments at a stop light...

"Are you crazy wearing all that stuff in this heat!"

I simply respond with...

"Get in your car, drive 20 mph, open your door, and slide your hand on the ground for about 50 feet. If that feels good to you then you don't have to wear a damn thing!"

Archived