IGNORED

first tire change...lessons learned.

lawnchairboy

pic.php?img=3328687

It begins...

Holy cow, steep learning curve ahead.

First tire change completed switching from Z-6's to Conti Road attacks.. 209.00 delivered for the pair, came in two days. Some thoughts:

Even with a 3x3 plywood stand the HF tire changer will get to spinning if you don't have somebody or something on it (if not secured into the concrete that is).

The HF mount/demount bar SUCKS. Yes, wait listed for mojo bar. If I do it again and mojo lever is not available, I will purchase the no-mar mount/demount bar.

pic.php?img=3328690

hoon mount stand and hoon front tire stand pic.php?img=3328689

>

HF rim scratcher marks...

pic.php?img=3328691

quality from craftsman.

Had my wife helping me with no extra tire irons the back tire was a B*&^%! to get on, ended up not being able to get it, 20 minutes up to Craven County motorsports (honda) and they popped it on in 5 minutes, no charge by the way, can you say new customer?

Front tire considerably easier both off and on. The Parnes balancer is a sharp user friendly tool. So once back mounted, fire up the compressor and the fitting to the pump sheers off its quick release head as I pop it into the mating collar with the pump. I have owned that for almost a week now, back to sears with that hose/connector. Jump in truck, to gas station, seat front tire. All between chasing kids and fielding phone calls. I discovered muscles I didn't know I had and probably will feel it real good tomorrow.... All in all... some light scratching on the rims, Alot of sweat, one busted knuckle, some frustration, but learned a good bit and didn't pay somebody else to do it. I figure I've got about 2 more changes to come out close to even on tools/supplies when compared with going to the dealer.

Ouch, doesn't sound like fun Chris. I recently had to do my rear too and, although I had the HF changer and tools ordered, none had arrived yet. That too was not pretty. By the way, you're wife must be a brave woman if she entered the garage and offered to help. My wife has learned that, when things aren't going well out there, it's best to just stay away. grin.gif

I don't know, I'd rather take it to the dealer, that way when/if those scratches appear that you mentioned, I get a new wheel or get it repainted. THat way the work's on them! That is, as long as it's a reputable shop that I can trust. If not, forget it, I'll bust my knuckles, buy the tools, spend the time. But at this point, I'll haul it into the dealer. But YES, you must tell us where you got that tire deal thumbsup.gif

I would like to know how the Conti Attacks handle as well. BMW is making the Conti Attacks their OEM tire. Ruby just got new shoes yesterday-Z6's. I am anxious to see how they handle as I take off with 5 other deviants on Saturday morning heading to San Luis Obispo, Ca. and Santa Margarita Lake east of SLO.

my z-6's probably had another 1000 left in them, I kept them for spares, they are annoyingly loud when leaning, especially after the back gets good and squared off so I changed them for the Conti's... I'll see what I can see when the monsoon season stops out here...

I replaced my Dunlop 205s with Road Attacks almost 6,000 miles ago. To qualify my impressions, I don't have the vast experience with lots of different tires, and don't drag footpegs regularly.

I'm very happy with the Conti Road Attacks I think the rear tire had 7/32 of tread new; with 6K it's down to 3/32 -- so I might squeeze out a couple thousand more miles. The front is not cupping and is holding up well. Lifespan is probably comparable to any of the popular sport-touring tires, but not as good as a real touring tire like an ME880.

They have a nice confidence inspiring sticky feel. Steering is very neutral. Ride is smooth (I keep them at ~38 front/~40 rear). I did ride in a real frog-strangler for several hours when water was pooling badly on the road. They were great in the water.

They're a little cheaper than Metzeler, which is why I decided to try them. I'll probably buy again.

I also have the harbor freight changer and after 2 tire changes still pray that it gets easier. Mine is on a 4x4 pc. of heavy plywood so I can stand on it to reduce spin. One thing that does help is tying the wheel to the 3 arms below it on the HF . This keeps the wheel from turning and scratching. I also covered the parts that hold the wheel with outward pressure with the rubber stuff that comes liquid in a can, then hardens after it drys.

On last tire I used the mojo and the HF mounting tool. It is a b*#ch of a job solo

I bit the bullet and bought the No-mar, after using some cheapie deal to break the bead, which was an excercise in frustration with no results due to lack of leverage needed.

The No-mar comes with decent instructions, and you can access the videos online. Takes a few changes to get the real knack of it, (the videos make it look easy) but it does get easier once you are familiarized with its operation. Its by no means inexpensive, but in my opinion worth it.

Fran

Archived