IGNORED

Anyone towing a trailer with an R12RT?

Gkgeiger

After my last camping experience with the wife, I've decided I need a trailer. The problem is I can't find a hitch, and all the trailer Mfg. are telling me they haven't figured out how to make the lights work. Any ideas?

Gene

One question, why would want to do a thing like that to your nimble, kick in the pants fun RT ? That would be like putting a rev limiter on a Formula 1 car. Let it run and stretch its legs man. If you want to camp just get you a luggage rack and one of those U shaped bags which will pretty much hold everything you need.

Gene

One question, why would want to do a thing like that to your nimble, kick in the pants fun RT ? That would be like putting a rev limiter on a Formula 1 car. Let it run and stretch its legs man. If you want to camp just get you a luggage rack and one of those U shaped bags which will pretty much hold everything you need.

Or I could just leave the wife at home. Actually, after 33 years of marriage I feel lucky that my SO still wants to ride with me. This is what that nimble kick in the pants fun RT looked like when we went to Vt. With our body weight and all our gear I know I'm over gross.

bike001Small.jpg

Bushtec has told me that they have a hitch for the R1200RT but, they are not selling it until they get the electrical (CanBus) figures out. That should have been last month.

Nice looking machine Gene. Mine is red. Sounds awesome that your wife still wants to ride with you. If you are intent on camping I would consider this scenario. First, go buy two unpainted black lids for your saddle bags. List price is $178 each. Most places will knock 10% off. Then go and buy a rear tail rack and the U shaped bag I referred to earlier so you don't scratch up those pretty painted lids. The U shaped bag wraps around the bike and lays on top of the lids. You can put 2 sleeping bags, tent, ground cloth, and some cooking gear in it. Your wife can use the part on the bags to support her arms and lean against the part behind her. I was going to do the same thing about 2 years ago but my wife is not a big camper so when we travel together we stay in a motel. You may be able to find a used bag on one of the websites and you can find the luggage rack from several different companies.

Keith,

As you can see, I got everything on the bike. My concern is still the GVRW. I know it is exceded. As far as Bushtec goes, now their saying by the end of the year. I found the trailer I want at Monogo.

My wife and I were thinking the same thing. We used to love to camp, but she can't sleep on the cold, hard ground. And we just can't haul everything she wants.

Yesterday we got a reply from Bushtec. They say they are developing a hitch right now for the R1200 RT, and should be ready in about a month. It even has a harness that will adapt to the CANBUS system. About $400.

E-mail them, and maybe they will get it to market sooner.

Thought about it. That way I could pull my car around with me grin.gif

You laugh!

I have a photo taken in the Canadian Prairies of a pair of color-coordinated people, on a color-coordinated Gold Wing.... TOWING WHAT APPEARS TO BE A MUSTANG! My son took the photo from his car as they passed this gold wing!

My wife and I were thinking the same thing. We used to love to camp, but she can't sleep on the cold, hard ground. And we just can't haul everything she wants.

Yesterday we got a reply from Bushtec. They say they are developing a hitch right now for the R1200 RT, and should be ready in about a month. It even has a harness that will adapt to the CANBUS system. About $400.

E-mail them, and maybe they will get it to market sooner.

We must have talked to two different people at Bushteh, since the guy I spoke with on the phone said not to count on it till the end of the year. He said they were having a real problem with the Canbus. I hope the one who emailed you knows better.

Gene

That trailer actually looks pretty cool. Everytime I look at the name I want to say MONGO trailer. I never saw how much weight it is designed to carry. Do you know? Personally, I have a hard time thinking about putting a trailer behind Ruby. I just can't get my arms around it but if I was to change my tune the Mongo trailer actually looks pretty good. Keep me/us informed how it turns out. Tomorrow I am off on a 600 mile round trip on Ruby with 5 other deviant riders to central California. Should be a blast.

Sounds like you guys might need to consider one of those moto trailer/tent jobs...

Lots of different models to choose from but all basically provied a spacious pop tent that allow sleeping above ground.

At the very least, they look interesting...

google motorcycle camping trailer...

Have you checked out the UniGo trailers?

http://www.tourunigo.com/

Yes I have, and I like them a lot, but they are also very pricey. They don't have a hitch yet, as a matter of fact Bushtec is making their hitch for them, and as I stated earlier it isn't ready for sale. The Monogo is $995 Can. and the Uni-go is $2300 US to start. The Monogo is lighter and I think has more storage space.

Truth is that none of the BMW bikes are "officially" rated to tow anything. You put extra stress on the drive line and suspension while towing. IMO the warranty should be immediately voided if you use the bike as a tow vehicle. YMMV How about getting your wife her own bike?

BMW bikes are not supposed to go more than 80 mph with saddlebags or top case not supposed use any other oil than BMW have exhaust or intake modifications my dealer once threatened to void my waranty for putting on a hard part steering bumper by touratech (of course I didn't buy it from him) even though he sold it He has also had trailers in his used bike area and said he will set them up for you.Non stock Windscreens can induce tire shredding wobble.I'm getting a headache it's your bike make it do what you need it to do.

BMW bikes are not supposed to go more than 80 mph with saddlebags or top case not supposed use any other oil than BMW have exhaust or intake modifications my dealer once threatened to void my waranty for putting on a hard part steering bumper by touratech (of course I didn't buy it from him) even though he sold it He has also had trailers in his used bike area and said he will set them up for you.Non stock Windscreens can induce tire shredding wobble.I'm getting a headache it's your bike make it do what you need it to do.

Thanks, I intend too.

In a message dated 9/10/2006 3:27:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, apache@srv1.webhostglobal.com writes:

wspurgeon@cox.net

We are taking pre-orders and will start shipping in the next two weeks. The can-bus module is through testing and in final stages of production with an expected arrival at our facility by the 18th.

John A. Preston CEO

Bushtec Mfg & Sales, Inc.

PO Box 459

180 Mount Paran Road

Jacksboro, TN 37757

(423) 562-9900 Office

(423) 562-9911 FAX

Home of the original "Performance Sport Trailers"

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

bushtec@aol.com

bushtec@comcast.net

www.bushtec.com

Hi Gene,

Please keep us informed on your project As you may have already concluded... Sounds like you may be the very first to tow with an 12RT.

FYI:

http://www.leesurelite.com/bike.htm

http://datsama.com/

http://trailmasterinc.com/campers.html

I'll do that. I'm not interested in a camper trailer, just want to get some of the weight off the RT. Thanks to everyone for the input. We can put this one to rest.

...BMW bikes are not supposed to go more than 80 mph with saddlebags or top case.....

The R1200RT states: "The recommended top speed with the cases loaded is 180km/h." And: "The maximum permissable speed with the small or large top cases fitted is 180km/h."

...BMW bikes are not supposed to go more than 80 mph with saddlebags or top case.....

The R1200RT states: "The recommended top speed with the cases loaded is 180km/h." And: "The maximum permissable speed with the small or large top cases fitted is 180km/h."

My r12st manual says 110mph (basically 180km/r).

Sorry I was wrong on the speed I think I was remembering what my old GS book said. So I guess I'm the only owner that exceeds the boundaries of the owners manual.

Sorry I was wrong on the speed I think I was remembering what my old GS book said. So I guess I'm the only owner that exceeds the boundaries of the owners manual.
I didn't say THAT did I? wave.gif
  • 2 weeks later...

I think getting the weight off the bike is the key thing. Pulling a single track trailer like the monogo or unigo should have a minimal impact on general handling (although stopping distances will be increased and fuel mileage will suffer somewhat). Certainly compared to loading the bike beyond the GVWR things will be better with the bulk of the luggage weight on the trailer wheel.

You still need to take the tongue weight into account in calculating the total weight of the vehicle. So there is no free lunch. Let's say you and your wife plus luggage are 20 lbs over the GVWR. Adding the trailer and moving 100 lbs of stuff to the trailer would drop 100 lbs from the bike putting you at 80 lbs under GVWR. Then add back in the tongue weight (lets say 35 lbs for the sake of argument). The net effect would be that you would now be 45 lbs under GVWR. Question is will that make enough difference in handling (modulo the braking/gas consumption issues) to justify the cost of the trailer (which is substantial).

These are interesting questions. Anyone have better data than my speculation?

Archived