IGNORED

Showing her the way - a labor of love on Labor Day weekend

beemerboy

I purchased a used starter bike a year ago for Debra, my SO, and spent the better part of the '05/'06 winter working on it and getting it in good mechanical shape.

Deb did her part and passed the MSF course this past Spring with flying colors.

We've spent a lot of summer weekends with her following me in a series of ever expanding routes in and around Colorado Springs and the surrounding counties. Deb has done quite well in a variety of riding conditions and is eager to increase her skill level while seeing old and new territory from a new perspective - her own motorcycle.

I could not have asked for a better outcome! Next up will be more technical roads going up Ute Pass and back country/mountain two-lane paved roads.

What I've found rather interesting is the toll of the stress I've felt from these rides. Deb follows me around the countryside and while she does an admirable job I find that I worry like crazy.

We stop on occasion and talk about the route we're on and the kind of feedback she's getting from the bike, road, and weather. I find myself monitoring my mirrors every ten to fifteen seconds to make sure all is well. By the time I return from these outing I find myself physically and mentally exhausted. I take pride and comfort though in watching Deb develop her skills in a pastime that has given me so much pleasure in my life.

Oh, I can't seem to ride far enough up ahead so I can turn around and get a head on photo of her coming up the road. dopeslap.gif

Here are a few pics of Sunday's ride:

These were taken near Larkspur, CO

DebridingintoLarkspurCO.jpg

DebdoingaHollywoodstopinLarkspurCO.jpg

This photo was taken near my home at the top of Palmer Park here in CS:

DebattopofPalmerPark1.jpg

Francois_Dumas

Good stuff !!

And yes, leading IS tiring indeed. I noticed that too this summer when guiding folks around. You have to think for BOTH really...... not easy ! eek.gif

Francois

Way cool! Have her lead you a while. Just stay well back so she doesn't feel pressured.

I am looking forward to getting my wife on two wheels soon. She as expressed a solid interest in doing it.

Glad to know my stress level is about to go up!!!! dopeslap.gifeek.gifbncry.gif

Cool Randy. You know that you're never gonna see her again, don't you? grin.gif

Thanks, Steve. Actually, Deb intends to hang around until I either let her ride my KRS or find her a reasonable facsimile. You see, after we took our Sunday ride I needed a "fix" (I feel the need.....the need for speed...).

We got back to my place and jumped on the KRS with Deb riding pillion. We didn't ride too far but we did, ahem, explore the bikes' upper limits. Deb now says she wants that kind of performance in her next bike. Kids......

All I can say for now is that I'm going to hide my MC keys!

blush.gif

Good stuff !!

And yes, leading IS tiring indeed. I noticed that too this summer when guiding folks around. You have to think for BOTH really...... not easy ! eek.gif

Francois

Especially leading Marty around????????

I know exactly how you feel. My wife started riding four years ago. At first she was very tenative and overly concerned about everything she did. Like you guys do, we De-Briefed after each ride. I think we get more stressed out because we feel responsible for their safety. Any way after four years I'm proud to say that Donna has become a very proficient rider and I don't worry nearly as much. She has become much more confident and you can see the joy in her eyes while she is riding instead of the panic of the first few trips out on the road. Enjoy your rides they get better each trip. Oh by the way prepare to start buying more bikes, they are never satisfied with what they have. Donna's on her fourth bike in as many years. Hopefully she's upgraded for the last time for a few years, it's my turn next.

Way cool! Have her lead you a while. Just stay well back so she doesn't feel pressured.

I am looking forward to getting my wife on two wheels soon. She as expressed a solid interest in doing it.

Glad to know my stress level is about to go up!!!! dopeslap.gifeek.gifbncry.gif

Yeah my wife is making noises about wanting her own bike too! dopeslap.gif Actually I think it is great, but yeah will probably be stressful for a while...nice story and pix though. Thanks.

A really good site for ALL riders actually, but aimed towards women is here.

Lots of great stuff.

Any woman, anybody for that matter who is thinking about riding should read the article, "What's Holding You Back" which is posted on the main page of the site.

Best to all!! thumbsup.gif

Cameron

Archived