IGNORED

Problem

mgfisher51

I have a 03 1150rt with about 27k miles on it. I returned today from a trip to see my parents (about 500 miles) and while cleaning all the bugs off I noticed a bunch of black gunk collected around the bottom of the swingarm by the rear boot where the swingarm connects to the final drive. I'm pretty sure its not just road grime, and I know it wasn't there before I left for the trip. The bike ran and handled fine on the trip, and I didn't notice any unusual noises. There were no fluids on the ground where the bike was parked while at my parents.

Anyone have any ideas on what this might be. I went through the whole clutch slave cylinder replacement thing after I purchased the bike used back in May (about 5k miles ago). I really like the bike, but there seem to be more "issues" than previous bikes (non-Beemer)I have owned. I have an uneasy feeling that this won't be a cheap fix.

Any ideas/help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Marlin

I would think you probably have a leaking, or weeping seal on your final drive. Both my RRS and my RT would, on occassion, have weeping around that area after a long haul, especially in hot weather. Switching to synthetics seemed to have exasperated the situation. My service managers take on the situation was not to get too worried over it, unless you pull the boot back a little and a lot of rear end grease comes out. So far, it only happens on real hot days. I did 400 miles last Saturday at some pretty high speeds ( 85-90 mph ) for miles at a time and not so much as a spot of grease. I'd just clean it up real good and then keep an eye on it for a while.

I had this problem beginning at about 15k mi. It surfaced initially that about every 4-500 miles that I would clean up the boot and a tablespoon of gear oil would drain out. By 22k mi. it was happening every 100 mi. and 3-4 tablespoons. The final drive input shaft seal was the culprit, $408 w/ labor at the dealer, but warranty covered it thumbsup.gif

Weeping / seeping of the final drive input shaft seal is common. Pull the boot off and see how much lube comes out. If it's only a dribble, it's pretty much a "they all do that" situation and nothing to worry about. Just check the final drive lube level from time to time. On the other hand if the inside of the boot is flooded and it just pours out, it's new seal time.

It could be your Final Drive ( probable ) or it could be your gearbox output shaft seal, and that fluid travels down the swingarm and collects and the base of the shaft housing and final drive. Pull the boot back and shine a flashlight UP the driveshaft housing. If its the seal in the gearbox, you'll see a trail of oil coming from up there. If not, it's going to be your final drive seal, which is more likely.

Archived