IGNORED

Expanding Fuel tank

Pictou

My bike is just back from a 10,000km service plus two recalls (ABS wire relocate and banjo bolt). Now it has a case of the expanding fuel tank phenomena. Clearly its not venting properly as it makes a loud woosh when you open the fuel cap.

Just wondering how these things vent and if this is something I can check and set right myself. If someone has any experience with this they can share I would appreciate it. I do have a copy of the service CD so I can use that as a guide. By the way my bike is Canadian and has no charcoal cannister.

If this is easy to fix I will do it myself because getting to the dealer is not so easy for me. If not then the dealer will have to do it.

There are a couple of vent hoses, but most likely the one that routes down near the glove box is pinched. There is a service bulletin about this.... dealer should have it. The other hose is connected at the fuel pump and is easy to check when the body work is off. If you are comfortable removing the body, then checking the vent hoses will be easy. Good luck

I had the tpperware off - but I am not sure where the vent hose by the glovbox is. I didn't see one there but I must not have been looking at the right spot. Any chance you can point me in the direction of this?

I took another look at the service cd and I think I found the hose that you mention. I didn't check it (obviously) when I had the tupperware off but I will take a look at it when I get a bit of time. Thanks for the tip. The other vent looked fine to me.

The hose may "look" fine, but I usually blow compressed air through the vent hoses to erase any doubt that they are plugged. I have seen quite a few blocked by insect gunk in the ends under the engine area. Seems that some kinda bugs like to lay eggs or something in the ends of the hoses blocking them off.

Thanks for the tip. I will be taking it to my dealer (still under warranty and all) but I will try to blow out the hoses tomorrow.. It seems mine is not as bad as others as I can ride it for over an hour before it gets bad enough that the tank distorts enough to interfere with the steering. I am guessing its not totally blocked but still not good.

Thanks so much for the help. Its really appreciated.

The hose may "look" fine, but I usually blow compressed air through the vent hoses to erase any doubt that they are plugged. I have seen quite a few blocked by insect gunk in the ends under the engine area. Seems that some kinda bugs like to lay eggs or something in the ends of the hoses blocking them off.

Just had my ST in for service a couple of weeks ago. When the tech tried to re-install the body panels, they would not line with the mounting holes.

A lot of scratching of heads until they opened the gas cap. At that time the gas tank expanded dramatically and the body mounting tabs came into alignment. The problem was a pinched vent line to the charcoal canister under the tank.

Is this your problem?

I got the bike in today and the fuel tank issue got resolved. As was suggested it was a pinched breather hose )the one by the glove box/radio box). Apparently when they put the gas tank back on they weren't careful with the hose and pinched it. The shop was very good about it and did it while I waited.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Archived