IGNORED

Fuel tank vacuum

motorref

Thought some of you might have had this problem... I had a tremendous vacuum in my R1150 RS, collapsing the tank to the point that the fuel gauge would not function and the gas cap would not open. Took it to the shop and they thought it was the fuel/vapor lines crippped under the gas tank or the charcoal canister was saturated. It ended up being a faulty gas cap vent which caused the vacuum in the tank and also ruin the canister! Anyone else have this problem ?

My cap looks like it is totally sealed, I don't see a vent, I thought that is what the cannister or the vent line was for (non US bikes).

At your option, you can safely remove the canister (or just disconnect it) so you won't have this problem again. Do a charcoal cannister search and you'll find out how and others that this has happened to.

I landed in Grand Juction Colo. with the problem and the BMW mechanic had to drill an extra hole in the inside plastic section, under the rubber seal of the gas cap. It worked! Before that, I was leaving the gas cap unlocked under my tank bag to get it to work .

John

I'd be a little leary of that fix. The area around the cap collects water - a vent in that location offers a short path inside. It sounds to me like your evap plumbing, either hoses or cannister is blocked. The real fix is to clear that as has been mentioned and possibly consider replacing your cap or plugging the hole made.

Archived