IGNORED

Looking at buying a 2000 1100 RT-P (Photo's and advise needed)

lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman

I am looking at buying this 2000 RT-P. The guy was asking $7k but have talked him into $6k. The bike has 65k miles which is typical for a CHP bike. One of my questions is how will I fit on a R1100RT-P. I am 6'4 240lbs and want to be comfortable. Also I want to ditch the radio box and put a rear seat on. Anyone know how much this will cost? Also anything I should look out for? I have not ridden a street bike for quite some time but Race Motorcross and Desert races with my Dual Sport KTM 525exc. I owned a GSXR 750 about 10 years ago but want to get back into some touring on a bike that will be comfy. I rented a HD Ultra Classic a few months back and was comfy on that but it lacked alot of power. I am hoping the BMW will have more pep then the HD. So with my Height will I be cramped on this bike? Here are a few photo's of the bike I am looking at. Also do you think the price is fair?

184155364.jpg

184155360.jpg

184155332.jpg

184155318.jpg

184155308.jpg

184155304.jpg

184155300.jpg

Sharp looking bike! If it comes with supportive maintenance documents (should be fine since it is CHP) I would not worry about the performance of the bike. Much like an automobile the usual precautions of thoroughly examining the bike, checking fluids, asking specific questions regarding accidents, repairs, etc are all critical and should influence your decision.

Make sure the clutch and rear wheel drive fluids were changed at 24k, and 48k or at least every 2 years.

The fuel filter should also have been changed at 24k and 48k as well.

The poly v-belt should have been taken care of at 36k too.

I am still new to the forum so hopefully the 'smart' guys can point you in the right direction for your other questions.

Congrats and welcome! clap.gif

skinny_tom (aka boney)

A CHP bike has probably been dealer serviced "by the book" for it's entire CHP life. After that, you may want to see records.

Replacing the radio box requires 3 body panels, a rack, and a rear seat. All of which is probably available on eBay, some of which might be expensive, none of which will be white- and black is very rare.

At 6'4" (and a few less pounds) I have no problem fitting an '03 RT. I'm more legs than torso, and with the addition of seat jacks, I'm good to go.

The price seems pretty good in my opinion.

EDIT:

That stock seat may not be right for you. BMW also makes a "comfort" seat which has a bit extra padding. You may want to look for one of those or an after market replacement after putting a bunch of miles on it.

David at a mere 6' tall I can't help you with the ergo's of the bike, but I can confirm it has much more get up and go than my '04 electra glide. It's an entirely different bike altogether, and required a significant change in riding style on my part. There are a few recent threads around on learning how to shift smoooothly, and they were very helpful. Where do you live in So. Cal?

Good luck on your decision!

i was looking at a RTP here in no. ca.. chp trades them in around 60k, they are maintained at bmw shops, they go for around 9,000.

the only thing i didnt like is that the bikes sit and idle alot for tickets, accidents etc. so it may have 60k on the odo it might have twice as many hours just sitting idling,

eergo the fans for the oil cooler. i went and bought an rt from a private individual.

It sure looks clean and that counts for something I guess. If under CHP contrcat then you can probably assume that proper PM was done and beyond that... well you just can't really know for sure regarding the internals and drivetrain. I'd say look for obvious problems and if none are apparant and you like the bike, go for it. Even at the worst it is pretty easy to get parts/work on these bikes.

i was looking at a RTP here in no. ca.. chp trades them in around 60k, they are maintained at bmw shops, they go for around 9,000.

the only thing i didnt like is that the bikes sit and idle alot for tickets, accidents etc. so it may have 60k on the odo it might have twice as many hours just sitting idling,

LEOs leave the engine idling when writing tickets or investigating accidents? Why would they want to do that? If an RT is left idling for extended periods bad things can happen that an oil cooler fan won't prevent. If they need to pursue someone it takes a mere second or two to start the engine and there's a second battery to take care of electrical demand while stopped. There doesn't seem to be much reason to risk idling the bike on the sidestand for extended periods.

David,

I just shot you an email about my '00 RT-P just up for sale, with fewer miles, lower price, and at least 1.5 years of service history beyond CHP service.

Regarding the idling while writing tickets, I have noticed that our local cops (and CHP when on surface streets) even shut their bikes off at stop lights! And with the second (aux) battery, I believe that the RT-P's are the only bikes which can actually jump-start themselves!

BTW I'm 6'4"/255# and the RT-P's fit me great.

Tom

For the rear seat I bought a "kit" from Long Beach BMW. This is not an official kit but is put together by a third party company. The price of all the parts by themselves would have come to $850.00 while the cost of the kit was $650.00 This came ready painted black and so works nicely on the RT-P. Everything was included down to the washers, bolts etc. Talk to Gina there, she was most helpful.

Hope this is of some help

Tracy

Price sounds pretty fair.

Search for a recent thread on seat conversion...I think the guy did it himself for <$500 in (used) parts.

The motors come standard w/ the "comfort" seat. YMMV!!!!!

I bought a 2000 R1100RT-P from a large dealer. Bike was sold as 'inspected and serviced as needed by BMW before release for sale'. It was also a bike touted as properly dealer maintained in CA. Well, it has 43,000 miles on it, and is apart right now. I am trying to source a transmission to replace the one in it with WASTED clutch and input shaft splines. I am still trying to work this out with the dealership. The only symptoms were an occasional 'hang' on downshifting from 3rd to second. Sometimes the shifter would lock hard, and I'd have to declutch, rev the engine and clutch again, and it would then downshift fine. This would happen after the bike was fully warmed up, and would happen occasionally. The first week I had purchased the bike, I noticed it, and contacted the dealer (after reading about spline issues). They assured me oilheads do not have spline issues. The forum knows otherwise, eh? Take your candidate for a long ride. Decelerate in third gear, roll down a little slower than you might normaly before shifting to 2nd. This was guaranteed to make mine hang up. Shift with different styles, whatever, but give it a good check out ride. If the shifter sticks even once....run away! I strongly disagree with the mantra about 'superior maintainance' of fleet motorcycles. While taking mine apart, I found some fasteners that showed 'ham-fisted' evidence of poor wrenching. I found fasteners that obviously were NEVER touched after assembly. One of the swing arm bearings had marks on it that could only have come from being hammered on! The rubber flap on the front of the rear fender was missing, and had been gone a long time, as evidenced by the crud all over the rear shock unit. I could go on, but fleet service is marginal at best, compared to private owner maintainance. Think about it. The PD's have the bikes on lease. No rider actually owns his machine. He can only keep it clean. Above that, he is at the mercy of overburdoned shop mechanics. I would even bet that machines that are maintained by the local municipal garage are maintained better! I have driven numerous fleet vehicles that I have bought at auction over the years, (only because they were cheaper) and my experience is that they get used hard, and don't get serviced like a treasured personal vehicle. My 2 cents worth. Here's pics of my toasted splines: http://halkct.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php

LEOs leave the engine idling when writing tickets or investigating accidents? Why would they want to do that? If an RT is left idling for extended periods bad things can happen that an oil cooler fan won't prevent. If they need to pursue someone it takes a mere second or two to start the engine and there's a second battery to take care of electrical demand while stopped. There doesn't seem to be much reason to risk idling the bike on the sidestand for extended periods.

I 2nd that, and also these bikes won't run on the side stand, only on the center stand. Also take a look at my poll about an interchangeable rear seat.

Maybe I'm wrong, but everytime I forget to put my sidestand up it won't start. Maybe it's because it's not usually in N. I don't have the same situation on the center stand.

Mine runs/starts just fine on the sidestand. (well, the neutral switch is flakey, but that's a different problem!)

No problem for my RT-P running on the sidestand - if in neutral.

Ahhh, that's a slightly different safety feature:

The engine will not run if the sidestand is deployed *and* the transmission is in gear.

The starter requires either (a) clutch pulled in or (b) transmission in neutral. (I think the civilian model won't allow starter while sidestand deployed?)

I have a '96 RT1100.

With the sidestand down, the fuel pump won't even come on when turning the key. It's only a minor inconvenience. I've heard many (one is too many) unpleasant stories of trying to turn left with a side stand down. Given my advanced age and senility, I'd be one of those story tellers. grin.gif

Not sure of what year the change was made to allow the engine to run (in neutral) with the sidestand down.

Watch out.This bikes did not get super treatment as comenly believed.Mine looked just as good with shitty trans,front wheelbearind{made in taiwan}burning up doing 80m down the highway,final drive pivot bearings gone south.All this fine work done by A&S out in cal.

Back to the front wheelbearing.Was .005 smaller then hub bore so the J B welded it into place. dopeslap.gif

If you already bought the motorcycle, disregard the following.

I just wanted to see if I could clear up some of the information thrown at you in this forum.

I ride a 2003 R1150RT-P at work and at 6'8" and 230 lbs I can vouch for the fact that you will fit on the motorcycle. The only problem I have encountered is the fact that I stick up over the windscreen and therefore get a lot of wind noise at speeds above 40 mph. There is a zone of turbulent air right above the top of the windscreen, which happens to hit me square in the face. If you were to experience this issue at 6'4", you could probably remedy the problem with an after-market windscreen.

I have found the motorcycle I ride to be very capable on the street, as well as on the freeway. It has ample torque, but is smooth at most speeds (including high speeds).

LEOs do not typically leave their motorcycles running during traffic stops (their cars - yes, their motorcycles -no). With LE BMWs there would be no need to leave the motorcycle running, as the emergency lights and radio are powered off the auxilliary battery. I do not know of any motor academies in So Cal that teach officers to leave their motors running on traffic stops.

However, (at least on the 2003 R1150RT-P) the motorcycle will run on the sidestand when it is in neutral.

Although the motorcycle you are looking at has probably been maintained at a dealership, it does not necessarily mean that it received good maintenance. Dealership often seem to treat Law Enforcement Agencies as second rate customers. Your motorcycle may be in great shape, but you should probably ride it to find out if it runs rough, rides funny or makes strange noises. Better yet, bring someone who works on motorcycles with you to inspect it.

I hope this helped more than it confused. smile.gif

Archived