IGNORED

I'm Grateful for All the Tire Changing Mistakes You've Made

David

...because reading about them saved me a lot of grief. tongue.gif Seriously, I'd purchased one of Mitch's super tire changing "machines" and bars, and had been putting it off, significantly reluctant to dive in. But the holiday weekend presented a great chance to take my time and have fun with it.

Piggybacking on an idea Jamie had, I mounted my changer on the Handy lift. But I used the side extension, instead, so that I could use the lift for the motorcycle. I'd just so darn "Handy" to take the wheels on/off when it's up on the lift.

So, put it on the pit stand (or center stand), remove wheel, change tire, replace wheel, lower lift, and then turn it around and do the other wheel. Here's a shot of the rear and then the front:

tirechange1.jpg

tirechange2.jpg

You can see the tire changer on the side extension, out of the way.

Armed with the excellent instructions, everything went as planned. No scratches on the rims. No skinned knuckles. No cussing. The rear took a little more work mounting the tire--the front was a piece of cake, popping on without even using tools. Great inventin, Dr. Patrie.

Why do I build these tasks up in my mind and avoid them? Once you dive in, they are not that difficult. I'm an idiot.

It was a fun weekend, since Jonathan was home using my tools to install a stereo system he's been saving up for. Want a definition of trepidation? It's him watching while I cut a hole in the inside of the new Honda Civic door with a reciprocating saw and metal blade. grin.gif

alright, can you spill the beans on this easy tire changing machine? This is something I want to do, but, but, but.... I just haven't you know the story. I'm intrigued.....

alright, can you spill the beans on this easy tire changing machine? This is something I want to do, but, but, but.... I just haven't you know the story. I'm intrigued.....

I forgot to take pictures of it before putting the tire on it, and I can't find any on the web, but if you download this PDF, there are pictures of it and the bar that come with it:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/prestondrake/mojostand_instructions.pdf

To my knowledge, Mitch doesn't have any at the moment but has people on a waiting list.

That was the last little nudge I needed. If YOU can do it... wink.gif

No kidding. smile.gif The GS tires are next--don't know if they'll be easier or harder, but I have to get both wheels sent it to be trued. Been having too much off-road fun.

i just changed 4 sets over the last 2 weeks. I have the harbor freight unit. not as nice as mitch's but it works. And I am saving up and next Oct, I hope to buy the No-Mar system. that is the one I want.

As someone who's garage looks like a small explosive device was tested in it, I am in awe of your organizational skills. By the way, you forgot to snap the lid shut on that container on the shelf with the blue stuff in it. lmao.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
That was the last little nudge I needed. If YOU can do it... wink.gif

No kidding. smile.gif The GS tires are next--don't know if they'll be easier or harder, but I have to get both wheels sent it to be trued. Been having too much off-road fun.

Glad things are going well for ya. thumbsup.gif Let me know how the GS wheels go; I've never tried the changer with a wire-spoked wheel, so I don't know how it will fare with the strap tugging on a spoke or two. Make sure the anti-spin strap is close to the rim (i.e. as far away from the hub as possible), and if it looks like the spoke(s) is flexing a lot during demount or mount, consider a second strap on the opposite side of the wheel.

Thanks, Mitch. I was wondering about how spoked wheels will work.

BTW, I used a very little bit of RU-Glide and it worked really well.

As someone who's garage looks like a small explosive device was tested in it, I am in awe of your organizational skills. By the way, you forgot to snap the lid shut on that container on the shelf with the blue stuff in it. lmao.gif
Yeah, and did you notice that it apparently has stayed just as organized since the lift thread? (Perhaps even more organized?) I mean, the dumbbells are still quite neatly stacked on the shelf. thumbsup.gif Organization isn't that impressive to me. Anyone can clean their garage and take a picture. KEEPING it clean, now that's impressive. smile.gif Something to aspire to I guess.
Yeah, and did you notice that it apparently has stayed just as organized since the lift thread? (Perhaps even more organized?) I mean, the dumbbells are still quite neatly stacked on the shelf. thumbsup.gif Organization isn't that impressive to me. Anyone can clean their garage and take a picture. KEEPING it clean, now that's impressive. smile.gif Something to aspire to I guess.

And why are the dumbbells still stacked so neatly???????? Because the (all together in a nice Terminator like accent!!!!!! lmao.gif) girlie man has not used them!!

But, they are a nice touch and quite useful in keeping the shelving from moving unwantenly!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

...girlie man has not used them!!

I put them on the lift and watch them go up and down. When they are moving up, I breathe out. Then I suck a deep breath in when I lower the lift.

You should see my body. It's a work of (modern) art.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I put them on the lift and watch them go up and down. When they are moving up, I breathe out. Then I suck a deep breath in when I lower the lift.

Cube-ism? crazy.gif

Cube-ism? crazy.gif

I don't care who you are but that's funny! I have now deposited a fine mist of Diet Coke all over my monitor!!!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

I now have visions of Jack LaLanne in his coverall one piece! And 1 and 2 and 3 . . .

+1

• 2 weeks later...

Cube-ism? crazy.gif

Oooh, THAT's gotta hurt! lmao.gif

Archived