IGNORED

90,0000 miles = no final drive or spline failures

SMD

Just to reassure all the people whom have not had major mechanical failures but are worried, my 99 RT has been relativily trouble free for 90,000 miles.

Issues I've encountered:

1. ABS front wheel censor failure

2. Final Drive pivot bearings

3. Battery

4. Clutch

5. Throttle Cables

Looking forward to another 90,000 trouble free miles!

SMD

It's bad when those front wheel censors fail... then the wheel can say anything it wants.

Sheesh .. am I grammatically correct now? crazy.gif

Just to reassure all the people whom have not had major mechanical failures but are worried, my 99 RT has been relativily trouble free for 90,000 miles.

Issues I've encountered:

1. ABS front wheel sensor failure

2. Final Drive pivot bearings

3. Battery

4. Clutch

5. Throttle Cables

Looking forward to another 90,000 trouble free miles!

SMD

I'm up there with you, my 2002 r1150rt-p has 92k. Of course, it was maintained at the dealer until it went to auction. I have read the entire dealer file, and the most major repair was the clutch at 76k.

SMD-

If you aren't jinxing yourself by disclosing the untroubled mileage of your final drive, I am sure that I am by saying that the F/D in my '85 K has almost 312,000 miles with just regular synthetic oil changes. It's a monolever, so that might make a little difference.

I have had two driveshaft u-joint failures in that time, though.

Frank

As another data point, my 99RT is at 80,000 miles with a similar trouble free record.

Clutch cables replaced twice

Battery replaced once

Shocks needed by not replaced yet

Otherwise, just tires, oil, plugs, brake pads and gas

The gas tank seems to be the highest maintenance item. I keep filling it up and it still always seems to be empty.

Great to know that a little preventative maintenance goes along ways! It seems that too many people these days are looking for that 'disposable' bike; ride it for a year or two then purchase a new one! dopeslap.gif

hey smd

good news i think the rt is pretty bullet proof mine has covered 118k and like yours just had the clutch replaced at 115k and plenty of services in between. i hope you get another 90k trouble free. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

70k on '03 R1150RT, and no failures except two alternator belts replaced, plus one headlight bulb and one tail light bulb. Normal fluids, fuel, and tires...and a set or two of plugs and air filters. Oh ya, and a couple fuses blown when fiddling with electric wires.

I'm happy.

90K and going strong on my 1998 R1100RT

Rear seal went once right after bearings had been replaced by dealer at 50K, so that may have contributed to the seal issue.

Otherwise...normal constant maintenance as per requirements. dealer maintained to 36K then I took over thanks to a Ted Tech Day teaching experience.

Sounds like I have some catching up to do, just bought my 99 r1100 rt three weeks ago, only had 10,000 miles on it. Now I have 11,550. Hope mine will be as trouble free!!!

Mark Turner

Cleveland, Oh

Well, your subject line has you approaching a million miles and your message has you approaching 100k miles. Regardless, good on you and here's to another 900,000. thumbsup.gif

Glad to hear you've gotten so many trouble-free miles from your RT.

My '99 Boston Green Baby turned 90K on my way back from the UnRally in Gunnison this past June. So far, other than wear items like cables and brakes, the only failure I've had is a neutral light switch. But then again, the Boston Green RT's always were put together a little better than the rest. wink.gif

'99RT with 87k:

HES frown.gif

Fuel Pump frown.gif

Neutral Start Switch (3) frown.gif

Clutch frown.gif

Throttle Cable (2) frown.gif

Rear brake switch frown.gif

Front brake hose dopeslap.gif

Still runs as good as new. cool.gif

97 RT with 85,000 miles-needed new speedometer cable at 50,000. Oh yeah-wore the rear rotor down below specs and had it replaced around 60,000.

Archived