IGNORED

Autocom - headset wiring

cabbage

Hi all

Here's the problem.

My helmets are equipped with 7 pin autocom. My RT is equipped with 7 pin autocom.

My 1200LT is equipped with 5 pin autocom.

I want to create some adaptor leads - 7 pin to 5 pin. I can source the cable and plugs, no problem.

Does anybody know the wiring details of the five and seven pin leads?

Cheers

Cabbage

Autocom makes a headset extension lead that allows the use of 7-pin headsets with 5-pin Autocom main units. Contact your local Autocom dealer for details or call Autocom USA at 888-851-4327.

You need part 196 7-pin headset into 5-pin plug (coiled) at £23 or a straight version as part 195 for £19.

Expensive, but convenient and robust.

Hi Cabbage,

I started a similar project a few weeks ago - contacted Autocom and they offered an upgrade to my PR0-M1 for about £50 - which I decided to put towards a new 7-Pin model. I have just bought my 7-Pin DIN sockets and will be soldering sometime this week! Anyhow, I found the pinouts at the following:

7-Pin http://skene.org/K1200RS/images/Autocom-pinouts.jpg

5-Pin http://www.largiader.com/electric/autocom.html

If I get there first I'll tell you if it works or not!

Cheers,

Scott

Thanks everybody. As usual, top info. I hope to make up the leads this week and test them on my France trip.

I'll update on my progress in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

Cabbage

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cabbage,

Not sure if you got around to wiring up your lead, but I managed to replace the 5-Pin DIN sockets on my PRO-M1 with 7-Pin this weekend. It appears to work fine with a 7-Pin headset now and with the exception of the volume between rider and passenger, I am struggling to notice a difference! Not sure if that's a compliment to autocom on the quality of their old kit, or an indication as to the state of my hearing smile.gif

Cheers,

Scott

Hi Scott

I didn't have any success with the 5 to 7 pin leads. I tried to use the pin out diagrams obtained from the web but either I miswired my leads or the pro m1 unit is defective. As I was in a hurry I swapped the pro 7 unit from my RT over onto the LT. This gave me intercom via 7 pin setup.

Can you let me know how you wired your leads?

Regards

Chris

John

You may have a good idea there. However if Scott has wired his successfully I will just follow his example as I've already got the cable and plugs/sockets to make the leads in that way.

Thanks anyway

Chris

Hi Chris,

What I did was pretty simple. I'll refer to the following diagram to explain:

http://skene.org/K1200RS/images/Autocom-pinouts.jpg

All I did was connect the blue (Spk Right -ve), green (Spk Left -ve) and grey (Screen Gnd) together. All the other wires are common to both the 5-pin and 7-pin systems, it's just the blue and green wires that are extra. I actually replaced my 5-pin DIN sockets with 7-pin (as they were gunked up to buggery). However if you are making an extension lead, you will simply need to wire all the pins from the 5-pin plug to the 7-pin socket straight through, then just take two small wires and join the screen ground to both the -ve connections of the left and right speakers within the 7-pin socket.

Cheers,

Scott

Hi Scott

I think where I went wrong was in thinking too deeply about the mic ground which is included on the 5 pin set up. I think I linked this to the common ground for the speakers. I'll have another try sometime over the next few weeks and let you know the result.

Cheers

Chris

Archived