IGNORED

Autocom install. R1200ST. The Craig Way

CraigT

As all ST owners will know, there is an extreme lack of cubby holes and stowage for anything at all on this bike, thus I removed the panels and fitted the Autocom system hard wired into the bike as my jacket pockets and necessity for tank bank was becoming a slight annoyance. Yesteday I fitted the Autocom unit and ran power to the tail pack for housing my phone, radio and any other unit requiring 12V. Pics as below.

Autocom unit installed:

Autocom%20In%20place.jpg

Full route of the wiring. Note, I simply put both cables into a plug and have plugged them into the regular BMW fitted outlet.

Autocom%20wiring%20harness.jpg

Removal of tail light to instal cables to tail pack.

Autocom%20tail%20light%20removal.jpg

Finalised tail pack wiring. I wanted to conceal this as much as possible.

Autocom%20tail%20wiring%20complete.jpg

Home made battery eliminator.

Autocom%20battery%20eliminator.jpg

Tail pack complete.

Autocom%20taipack%20complete.jpg

Krissy takes a test ride. He said it was fine.

Autocom%20test%20ride.jpg

Thanks to Andy for the tip on pic resizing and Steve for the imaging installation. thumbsup.gif

It's a reasonable installation process and nothing here interferes with any potential for warranty claims on the bike, it's all CANBUS protected too. I will keep my phone in the tailpack when riding and may wedge it in with a foam slice, as the plug came unfastened too often when in the pocket. Walkie talkie is removable thus the questionable security of Touratech tailpack doesn't worry me too much.

Archived