IGNORED

r1100 idle issue

SignGuy

I've got an '00 r1100rt with a problem and would like to tap the collective knowledge of the group. I bought the bike in Feb of '05 with 7K miles right now it has 29K. I've never sync'd the TB's or done the zero=zero for the TPS. The bike only has minimal surging. All other regular maintenance has been done with the exception of the fuel filter. I adjusted the valves and changed the plugs last week. The problem I have is that after spending a about a minute close to top speed the other day the revs don't drop like they should when I let off the throttle. It is almost like the fast idle lever is pulled. Eventually they will drop back to normal. I have lubed all of the cables. I checked and the levers go back to thier stops when the throttle is dropped but the revs still stay up. Any suggestions? The dealer is about an hour away and my schedule is not such that I can get up there anytime soon. THX!

I believe an 00' should be Motronic 2.2? so its just a matter of pulling the relay or disconnecting the battery for approx. for 5 to 10 minutes and reinstalling

When this happens can you tell if the throttle bodies are both returning to their idle stops? If not, it's still some sort of a cabling problem. Perhaps with the Bowden box.

If they are, it may be a vacuum leak or similar.

How do I reset the Motronic?

Simple, just open the fuse box cover,, then look at the rear row of fuses,, count over 5 fuses from the left (shifter side) & pull that fuse for about a minute or so (5 minutes if you want to be sure the PCM clears).. Then re-install that #5 fuse.. Next turn the ign switch on (don't start the engine),, then completely open & close the throttle (hit the stops both directions).. Key down & you are done..

Twisty

Next turn the ign switch on (don't start the engine),, then completely open & close the throttle (hit the stops both directions).. Key down & you are done..

Not needed on the OP's post, the bike is an '00 R1100RT.

Stan

Next turn the ign switch on (don't start the engine),, then completely open & close the throttle (hit the stops both directions).. Key down & you are done..

Stan

would I need to do this on a 96 R1100RT?

Cruiser

Stan

would I need to do this on a 96 R1100RT?

Cruiser

strat, no, only on the bikes using the Motronic 2.4.. I doesn't hurt to do it on all systems & that way there is no confusion on if it's needed or not..

I always post the full throttle open close procedure for all, even the early motronic 2.2 equipped bikes, that way if someone finds it in the archives at a later time & they have the 2.4 Motronic they won't be confused & miss that step.. Again it won't hurt anything to do on any of the Motronic equipped bikes it just doesn't do anything for the non learnable systems..

Twisty

Clive Liddell

If you "oiled the cables" as you say then that could be your problem. They are not supposed to be oiled, only a little oil on the nipples at the ends. I think oil tends to make the teflon(?) cable sheath tackey.

Technically I didn't oil them, I used WD-40 per an article I read that was provided by the dealer. Resetting the Motronic seemd to smooth out a roughness I didn't even realize was there. The revs still don't drop as they should all the time. That is the strangest part, it is very intermitent but more common coming off of full throttle.

I think it turned out to be a cable lubrication issue. I rode it about 150 miles yesterday and everything seems to be fine. I guess the WD-40 just hadn't worked its way through the entire cable. Learning how to reset the Motronic was worth having the problem to start with. THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Bill

'00 RT

I think it turned out to be a cable lubrication issue. I rode it about 150 miles yesterday and everything seems to be fine. I guess the WD-40 just hadn't worked its way through the entire cable. Learning how to reset the Motronic was worth having the problem to start with. THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Bill

'00 RT

More likely the solvent from the WD-40 has finally evaporated off and the teflon lining has shrunk back to normal size. These cables should not be lubed with any petro-chemicals. PTFE lube may be ok but they do not really need it.

Andy

Archived