IGNORED

advice on 99 K12RS purchase

Tony O

I'm considering purchasing a 99 K1200RS, 54k miles. Asking price $5k USD.

Any known issues with this model and what would be a reasonable price to settle on?

thx, Tony

Leaking main shaft seal, leads to oil on clutch causing slipping. Revealed by oil patch where transmission joins engine, have a look underneath and see if it looks clear.

Also, oil leaks from timing chain cover at front of engine can be awkward to eliminate.

Similarly, leaking clutch slave cylinder can contaminate clutch and damage transmission oil seals. Do a search on www.i-bmw.com. Lots of info there on the k1200RS.

Good luck

Cabbage

99 K1200RS, 54k miles. Asking price $5k USD.

For comparison I sold my 2000 k12rs for $8,300 in March. Mine had about 36,000+ miles Ohlins F+R/Rhinewest chip/heated grips/2 windshields/5.5" rear wheel/Givi top case and some other stuff. Mine also had an oil leak (I think it was the main seal, but I'm not sure) that would have cost $750+ to get repaired.

Check out the kbb and NADA blue book values, factor in tire condition, accesories, service history etc. Seems like most BMW's with many miles on them have aftermarket shocks so I'd factor in replacements if it doesn't already have them.

bncry.gif

P3011962c.jpg

Archived