Praise of ABS

Paul Mihalka

This morning riding to work: Slight drizzle, road smooth, well washed from Ernesto's heavy rain. Normal braking to slow down for a traffic light. Sudenly both wheels let go and the bike does a little bit of left/right shimmy like on ice. After 5 yards everything is fine again. I guess some oil or something mixed in the water, but no special shine to it. I think without ABS even The Doctor would be sliding on his a$$ thumbsup.gif .

I have no doubt that your bike's ABS is proudly talking to all the other bike parts right now, saying how happy he is that Dad, finally, let him out to play!

Glad everything stayed on the rubber!

A good reminder to stay on your toes. Especially as we move into fall and we start to see wet weather again! thumbsup.gif

This morning riding to work: Slight drizzle, road smooth, well washed from Ernesto's heavy rain. Normal braking to slow down for a traffic light. Sudenly both wheels let go and the bike does a little bit of left/right shimmy like on ice. After 5 yards everything is fine again. I guess some oil or something mixed in the water, but no special shine to it. I think without ABS even The Doctor would be sliding on his a$$ thumbsup.gif .
Probably... but you might be able to beat ABS on a sunny, dry day under controlled conditions so you might want to consider getting rid of it... grin.gifgrin.gif

Glad to hear all went well Paul, crashing can really ruin your day.

Yep, the £795 extra for the ABS kept me upright last year, when I was doing a fair pace in the French Alps and a lamb wandered out in front, I go to the left- so does he, I go right- so does he, we do this until I come to an "assisted stop" literally from 85(ish)mph to a standstill, about 6" from the lambs nose. Car driver on opposite carriageway was already stationary, when I rounded the corner and I can still see their pityfull faces thinking more of the lambs health than my ST. The last 20 feet or so I put down to the ABS cutting in and permitting the final swivels left-right-left-more left-right-stop, or something like that. thumbsup.gif

Get's my seal of approval every time.

Archived