IGNORED

oil filter wrench

Dwayne

My dad has a 1200RT and is riding to my house tomorrow evening so we can take off on trip and he wants me to change the oil before we leave. Is there any alternative to that $75 filter wrench??? I was shocked when I stopped by the dealer today and saw the filter and wrench.

Thanks for your input.

Dwayne

Not sure if the 1200 uses the same number of ridges on the filter as the earlier RTs but I bought a cap style nylon graphite USA made unit at Kragen here on the west coast.

I needed to shave down the outermost edge to fit in the tight constraints of the filter location but for 6 bucks it was worth it.

My dad has a 1200RT and is riding to my house tomorrow evening so we can take off on trip and he wants me to change the oil before we leave. Is there any alternative to that $75 filter wrench??? I was shocked when I stopped by the dealer today and saw the filter and wrench.

The official BMW one I have is made by Hazet (a well known German tool maker). Try at an industrial tool sales place that handles Hazet; they may be more sane in thier pricing.

Yea, the BMW engineers had a few too many Heini's when they dreamed that filter configuration up. Since your leaving on a road trip, you obviously do not have the time to mail order a real filter wrench. Enough of the filter protrudes that you can get a strap wrench on it, which are sold at most auto parts stores. You might take the filter with you and see if you get lucky enough to pick up a few lugs on one of the cheap stamped wrenches.

I made my own,

1200Filterwrench.jpg

I have yet to buy the proper BMW wrench everyone is talking about and have done the last 4 oil changes on my R12RT by removing the filter with one of those rubber strap pipe wrenches. Sounds like you're in a pinch so borrow a strap wrench until you get the correct one.

Have a great trip with your dad!

Tim

I bought a universal oil filter wrench at Auto Zone for $6. It has 3 curved fingers that fit up and grab the filter and then it tightens around the filter when you turn it with a ratchet. I haven't used it yet, but it does fit around the filter on my RT.

Actually, the R1200 filter wrench is NOT made by Hazet.... the old K,R1100,R1150 was made by Hazet and says so on it. R1200 wrench appears to be a BMW product with the part number laser etched on it. Not clear who actually makes it tho.

I use the same Auto Zone oil filter wrench you have described and have had great results. While the tool does not "clinch" when tightening, I still use it at grip the filter during the process. I have never had any leak using this method. thumbsup.gif

Speaking of Autozone... you could always just use the K&N kn-164 oil filter instead of the BMW one. As with all K&N's I've used, it has a bolt on top of the filter, so a simple crescent or socket wrench will work to remove it. Last time I checked, crescent wrenches were only slightly less common than air, so that shouldn't be a problem...

Archived