IGNORED

Velvet Ridge - a Torrey Tale

Bob Palin

Velvet Ridge is a narrow area on the bench to the north and west of Torrey, it starts right where UT24 passes through the Fremont River gap between Boulder Mountain and the southern edge of Thousand Lake Mountain and which divides Bicknell Bottoms from Poverty Flats. As you ride by on 24 you might notice a forest service notice board at the base of the ATV trail.

I hadn't intended to make this a ride tale, it was just supposed to be a warm up on my CRF which I hadn't ridden in the last month due to my travels to the smokin' glaciers and to Hawaii. However I liked the views so I thought I'd share but there are none of the start, perhaps I'll go back tomorrow and take some.

Fremont River - looking roughly SE over Poverty Flats

img_001.jpg

You can see UT24 entering the right side of the picture about half way up, my house is near the trees where it exits the picture on the left. The ride starts with a steep, rocky, two track ATV trail up onto this bench.

The mighty CRF - I am not worthy of this bike!

img_002.jpg

I now have the 4 gallon IMS tank on it, not as pretty but much more practical than the 2 gallon stocker.

Having negotiated the narrow part of the trail I found this bentonite playground and decided to practice for a while

img_003.jpg

but not for too long because a storm was developing very quickly over Boulder Mountain

img_004.jpg

in fact, it got stuck on the mountain and never came over the valley but I didn't want to be out there if it did.

More of the playground, I shall return...

img_005.jpg

Further east there is a maze of trails which were mainly sandy, this one crossed and re-crossed Sand Creek

img_006.jpg

img_007.jpg

Sand Creek at the top of Sand Creek Road which is opposite the road I live on

img_008.jpg

Where the creek slows in a canyon an oasis forms

img_009.jpg

I was out for about 90 minutes and covered about 15 miles on the dirt, a very pleasant warm up and never more than 5 miles from my house.

It is quite obvious that I am going to have to make several trips out to Torrey!

By the looks of it, I need to get the DRZ into that red stuff of Utah!!!!

Look forward to seeing your playground in a couple weeks!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Can you get the KLR runnin so we can go back there together....or am I gonna have to wake up early one mornin(around 10am) and steal the CR before you get movin dopeslap.gif

Whip

We could have have a photo contest grin.gifthumbsup.gif
I don't think Cindy will let you take her camera out there on the 650 grin.gif My photos were all taken with the Canon S70, the EOS is too big to lug around on the CRF.

My firt trip to Torrey will be this month on the RT for the gathering, but my next trip will have to be on the DR650. I am getting it ready for extended trips and after seeing your photos I sure would like to take a run through there. I am debating on the IMS 4.9 gallon tank or a rack to hold a 2.5 gallon gas can. I don't always need extra gas.

Great photos, looking forward to seeing the area for myself. thumbsup.gif

:delighted gasp:

bob, mr bob palin, you're at it again.

our intrepid guide. can you get out there by 4-wheeler, or do i need to start learning to ride a dirt bike TOO?

:drool: clap.gif

can you get out there by 4-wheeler, or do i need to start learning to ride a dirt bike TOO?
You could get out there in a jeep but my Tundra and your 4wd would be too big, some of the trails are quite narrow and have tight turns. ATV rental is available in town and would be perfect.

Those are nice pictures Bob. You can't put a price on having the kind of scenery you have in your backyard. You are one lucky devil.

My Tundra and your 4wd would be too big, some of the trails are quite narrow and have tight turns. ATV rental is available in town and would be perfect.

Mark and I rode past the ATVs in May. I think we'll have to do that next time!!! FUN.

OH! Al got his pics back from Torrey, and he made Mark and me a book for our engagement. It's some awesome work and such a great reminder of a trip, and many times more pictures of the two of us than we've had previously. clap.gif

• 12 years later...