IGNORED

Antenna amplifier? No, not antenna amplifier, but...

Shaman97

I want to make my MP3 player or Satellite radio play through my on-board FM. Problem is that the signal fades in and out if there is a stronger signal at that frequency (usually 88.something or 107.something)in the area. Usually only a problem in urban areas.

An antenna booster will amplify all frequencies - not looking for that.

Isn't there a powered device that is installed inline with the antenna that makes a particular frequency 'lock in' so the extraneous signals are blocked out at that freq? What's that device called, and where can I get one?

Thanks

Bob

Bob, I've never heard of a device that does what you're describing, but there are devices that take the FM signal from your XM radio and route it through a direct connection to your FM antenna. This direct connection might be sufficient to overcome the occasional FM station drifting in and out.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I have a Roady in my car and initially tried to use just the FM modulator to get the sound to my car's stereo. It was a constant struggle to find a frequency that didn't have interference, a problem that was entirely solved when I decided to use the cassette adapter accessory. I'm not all that familiar with the radio on the RT. The people at www.crutchfield.com are generally pretty good at solving problems like this. Check out their website, and give them a call if a solution isn't apparent.

I can think of two possible solutions. One would be to get one of the FM modulators that actually connects to the antenna transmssion line (vs. just transmitting a signal to get picked up by the antenna as most of them do.) As Mike notes those usually work a lot better. Or you could find one of the premium FM modulators that allows you to pick any frequency in the FM band, rather than just a few presets as with most units. When you can select any frequency then you have a better chance at finding an empty spot, although in an urban area it can still be difficult. And of course the best solution in trems of fidelity and reliability is to figure out how to do a direct connection from the audio line out of the MP3 player/satellite receiver directly to the amplifier. I think I remember seeing some posts where owners had managed that without too much difficulty.

Mike/Seth,

You guys have come up with what I was thinking of, though it appears they are used just for the XM. Is there a device that connects to the headphones output of the device I use (MP3, SatRadio, etc.)

Ron,

My kids just may have one of those lying around the house - lemme see if there is one around. That may be the ticket for the MP3.

Thanks all,

Bob

If you want to skin this cat a different way you could connect your MP3 or XM via the factory radio auxiliary input. An overseas rider put a lot of time and effore into researching the process. It involves a BMW automobile wiring harness for the radio and a small amp. See the attached file if you are interested. I had to convert it from a Word file to a text file to attach it. I don't think anything got lost in the process.

736193-AttachingMP3playertotheAUXINofaBMWR1200RTRadio.txt

Very neat and tidy. For the present, the audio converter for the cassette will do for thia weekend. The attached is the way to go on a permanent basis. thumbsup.gif

Thanks!!

Archived