IGNORED

timing chain tensioner piston

willyone

someone had a post for a aftermarket piston for the timing chain tensioner that reduced/elimiated the slap/rattle at idle/low speed. have tried the factory piston with some help but not a complete fix.

Thanks.

Recently installed the upgraded kit in my 04 RT, one of the best investments I made. I purchased the parts from chicago BMW and the parts that you will need are as follows: 1 Ea. #07119963308 seal, ring. 1 Ea. #11317656922 Piston. 1 Ea. #11317688629 Cylinder. Total parts cost was $58.66 for all three parts. Very easy install, I just wished that BMW would have offered the parts at least, I believe the customer "good will" would have gone a long way, then again, why do that when they could just sell us the parts. Good luck.

Is there any benefit in replacing the right side tensioner at the same time? It would seem that the spring assembly in the original design would be a point of failure that could be detrimental to the engine if it ever failed.

Is there any benefit in replacing the right side tensioner at the same time? It would seem that the spring assembly in the original design would be a point of failure that could be detrimental to the engine if it ever failed.

I considered changing both, however the modified parts/kit only stops the start up rattle….. Due to engine design the right hand doesn’t allow the oil to drain away as the left therefore only the right needs doing

also see this link

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/CamTensionReplac.html

Archived